T Nation

Jason Ferruggia's Blog Entry

There’s the link if you haven’t read it.

Tell me what you guys think.

One might not NEED these these things like Ferruggia says, but what exactly does that mean?

what about for optimal results … then do these things become a little more necessary?

I like Ferruggia’s approach to things, simple and straight forward, but he sure does make me question a lot of the stuff I’m used to hearing about and do.

-Brian

He’s right.

Alot of people get so caught up in doing so much stuff that is secondary that they forget the most very basics.

Eat well, lift heavy.

Everything else is secondary to those.

He’s right in many ways.

Let’s see…

  1. I’ve cut back to one scoop of Metabolic Drive per day just because I need to get in a low carb meal before I train since I’m currently dieting. I could use whole food, but I like the variety and convenience of the shake. Otherwise, I agree that there is no need for protein powders because you can get what you need from whole food.

  2. I’m eating about 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.

  3. I use a post-workout shake (Surge) because of the fact that I haven’t had any food in me for at least two hours after training and because I can’t handle a solid meal until a few hours after training.

  4. I don’t use any vitamin or mineral supplements (but I do use Sam’s brand fish oil and Greens+).

  5. I’m maintaining or gaining strength while losing fat.

  6. I don’t use a dynamic warmup prior to my workout (Just like Jason, I’m still alive and not injured).

Looks like Jason is right on. All he’s trying to do is make you think. It all comes down to hard work, consistency, and the use of nutritous whole foods.

Can’t say I disagree. I do use mobility exercises during my warm-up however. Not sure if that qualifies as a “dynamic” warm-up.

While he isn’t wrong about any of that, I don’t neccessarily think he is right either. Sure, for any general statement, you can always say, “you don’t NEED to do that.” The question is, “can this particular… whatever… yield positive results?”

And the answer, in my (very limited compared to him) experience is that some of those “myths” he talks about are not neccessarily myths.

It’s true that you don’t HAVE to do all of those things. However, you must consider whether doing them will give you better results. There are plenty of guys in gyms all across the country that don’t take PWO shakes, aren’t concerned with protein intake, and don’t do dynamic warm ups.

In fact, I’d say that most people don’t do these things. The problem is that most people aren’t getting great results. Trainers wouldn’t be telling clients to take PWO shakes if they thought it really didn’t make a difference.

I mean I could go out and get wasted every weekend and still lift heavy during the week and still make some progress but in the end the progress I’m making sure as hell isn’t gonna be as good as it could be.

The best part is at the end of his blog entry he manages to pimp his new book where he’s going to “destroy every myth” related to training.

What I like about Jason’s post is that he is basically saying he will not accept dogma and that is a general approach I support wholeheartedly. I think we need to think along those lines more often. It’s not a question of agreeing with the entire posting, but whether or not we allow ourselves to get sucked into hype.

Shugart wrote a good article, don’t remember the name, giving a good explanation that all sups combined will only account for ~5% difference in progress. He had a pyramid diagram and stuff to help illustrate his idea.

Basically, 95% of what you need to succeed should be based in working your ass off in the gym (or playing field or whatever), a solid nutritional plan, and getting adequate rest/recovery.

Sups are like adding icing to a cake.

Now that’s the kind of guy I like. Slicing away at the bullshit.

I think what he means is “dont lose sight of the forest for the trees.”

People worry about all of these little details, but they forget to get their shit done where it counts-the dinner table and the gym.

They sweat the small stuff and forget the main idea.

I liked it, but I also like ZMA (makes me feel great), Surge (recovery was awesome) and protein shakes (can’t be bothered to cook sometimes).

So I agree with what he’s saying. But I take some supplements etc anyway. Cos I think that they work. I don’t take tons, but those I do, I notice the effects of.

And I do some dynamic work before every workout with nearly everyone. Most of my clients aren’t pro athletes, so that’s the most movement they do in the day, so I make sure they get the most out of it.

It doesn’t freak me out that he’s saying something different. There are many ways to skin a cat.

like others said it “need”

sure we dont need protein supps sure makes thing much easier at time,

sure we dont need fish oils we could eat wild caught fatty fish evryday

you can have the perfect diet etc without a supp it be damn hard supps SUPPLEMENT our life style

Phill

I just don’t like the fact that he uses the word “myth” to describe methods with a vast amount of scientific support.

I do agree with him on the 2g protein intake. This I learned the hard way.

[quote]Omega_Red wrote:
I just don’t like the fact that he uses the word “myth” to describe methods with a vast amount of scientific support.

I do agree with him on the 2g protein intake. This I learned the hard way.[/quote]

While Ferruggia may have some good points, he’s also just taking too much of a brute stance against some things that can and do help people achieve their goals.

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
I think what he means is “dont lose sight of the forest for the trees.”

People worry about all of these little details, but they forget to get their shit done where it counts-the dinner table and the gym.

They sweat the small stuff and forget the main idea.[/quote]

True that.

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
I think what he means is “dont lose sight of the forest for the trees.”

People worry about all of these little details, but they forget to get their shit done where it counts-the dinner table and the gym.

They sweat the small stuff and forget the main idea.[/quote]

You think he means that, but not many people would interpret his blog entry that way. He came right out and discounted all supplements. All of them.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:

You think he means that, but not many people would interpret his blog entry that way. He came right out and discounted all supplements. All of them.[/quote]

How many people have you known, newbs especially, who, after a week of training, go out and spend 500 bucks on the hottest new supplements before they know a thing about what theyre doing in the gym or in the kitchen?

If you eat big and lift heavy, then you will grow more than someone who trains like a pussy, eats like a 12 year old girl, but takes 400 dollars worth or supps a month.

What Ferrugia did was say that no one NEEDS supplements. Supplements are just that-supplementary, extra, add-ons. They are a small part of your total progress, and even without them, you will still make progress given that you have everything else in check.

Hes not saying they dont help, just that they are tertiary to hard training and good diet and that many of the compounds that people supplement with can be optained through a well balanced, diverse diet.

People get pissy when others tell them that they dont reallly need what they just dropped several hundred dollars on.

[quote]
What Ferrugia did was say that no one NEEDS supplements. Supplements are just that-supplementary, extra, add-ons. They are a small part of your total progress, and even without them, you will still make progress given that you have everything else in check.

Hes not saying they dont help, just that they are tertiary to hard training and good diet and that many of the compounds that people supplement with can be optained through a well balanced, diverse diet.

People get pissy when others tell them that they dont reallly need what they just dropped several hundred dollars on. [/quote]

Exactly. If they didn’t help at all, he wouldn’t use them. “So I ran out of protein powder about two weeks ago and decided to take a quick ride to the supplement store to grab a new bottle”.
This is a quote from his “Can’t Truss It” post.

[quote]GT625 wrote:
In fact, I’d say that most people don’t do these things. The problem is that most people aren’t getting great results. Trainers wouldn’t be telling clients to take PWO shakes if they thought it really didn’t make a difference.[/quote]

If I’m a trainer, the reason I tell someone to have a pwo isn’t because they’ll get better results, its to fill their fat ass up because they are incapable of eating things other than twinkies. They won’t get quality nutrients without protien shakes.

I’ve known people that were “hardgainers” who went out an drank and got better results just because they learned how to get enough calories. No point, I’m just saying that everyone’s different.

All in all, I disagree with the article simply because people won’t do what it takes to eat correctly without the protien shakes and supps. Its too hard to cook 6 balanced meals a day. Protein shakes and supplements make up for imperfections in diet.

I have just read it from his e-newsletter. I am taking it as “you don’t need that if you eat enough real food”.

In fact I said it to someone at work recently - he saw my Metabolic Drive tube, Flameout, greens pills etc. on my table and ask me if I had to take all that for training. I said no and I knew I would probably be better off eating salad with cheese and wild salmon granished by olives, but because I have no time I am getting the job done with Metabolic Drive shake with 1tsp olive oil, 2 Flameout, 2 greens and an banana.

GB

P.S. Allow me to emphasize - not 0.9 of a banana