T Nation

Jason Ferruggia?

I don't where else to post this thread.....

I know he doesn't train bodybuilders, but on all of his sites, he claims how he is a leading authority on how to get jacked. Funny thing is all of the people that he trains in his videos are anything but big.

Anyone else here tried his stuff. (I'm not interested for myself at all.)

jasonferruggia.com

he's more of a strength and conditioning personality, would've made sense to put this in strength sports

His program is sound, and WILL get you big and jacked if you eat enough. But I could say that about a ton of programs.

The thing I like about Jason's stuff is its about quality over quantity. The bodybuilders here are gonna say it sucks obviously, because its not a body part split, and you dont get to do 10 different exercises for your chest and arms. But if you want to get strong and big, it will work, but it still is going to come down to eating enough and lifting heavier stuff in the gym.

WOW.....

all about the money, ay?

this should just serve as an example to all the newbies on here that believe everything all these online "experts" have to say.

yea, but I figured I would have gotten more views/replies on the BB forum.

I also specifically wanted replies from bodybuilders.

You said it yourself. He doesn't train bodybuilders. If he's training an athlete, why judge him by bodybuilding standards? Would anybody ever judge a bodybuilder by how high he jumps, or by how fast he runs?

Also, have you ever thought that maybe some of these guys haven't been training with him very long, or that they were even smaller when they came to him? Who cares if you train a 300 pounder if he came to you at 295?

My point is that he regularly bashes the training methods of bodybuilders(body part splits/isolation exercises/ machines) and claims his methods are superior for gaining a lot of muscle. Also, many of his principles are the same retarded things we hear parroted by the skinny new guys on here that claim to know it all.

here you go:
www.musclegainingsecrets.com/?hop=hometxt&gclid=CJrds9y0zpsCFRJM5QodCmN-KQ

He uses full body, two way splits and even 3 way splits. He does include isolation exercises in his programs, he's just saying that people focus too much on them while forgetting the compound exercises but he does prefer some isolation exercises over others for e.g. barbell curls over concentration curls, pushdowns over kickbacks etc. And lastly, he does use machines like leg press and hack squats. Most of his training principles are sound and if I remember correctly are similar to that of Dorian Yates (low volume, short and intense workouts etc). Too bad he's a vegan now though :wink:

That is how you sell things.

I wouldn't exactly call him a skinny guy. I haven't seen too many pictures of him, but I believe he is fairly muscular in the 240 range.

It's not what you know that's important, but that you convince people that you are the only one who knows it.

He has ass on his site so it will get visitors.

The process of getting big and strong is easily put down on paper but hard to actually achieve.

1. Eat the right amount of nutrients.

2. Train like a mad beast.

3. Recover well.

Some have problem with 1, some with 2, some with 3, some with a combination thereof. I know I have a problem with #3 as I don't sleep enough and work too much. While my strength has kept going up I really haven't gained more than a couple pounds of lean mass since February.

Part of the problem is the right amount of nutrients at the right times on a consistent basis. That I think can be #4: Consistency. Anyone can eat big, lift big and rest big a day or two a week....but to be on point for days and weeks at a time is difficult.

There's some nice tail on that guy's site.

That is NOT the only reason.

He uses full body, two way splits and even 3 way splits. He does include isolation exercises in his programs, he's just saying that people focus too much on them while forgetting the compound exercises but he does prefer some isolation exercises over others for e.g. barbell curls over concentration curls, pushdowns over kickbacks etc.

And lastly, he does use machines like leg press and hack squats. Most of his training principles are sound and if I remember correctly are similar to that of Dorian Yates (low volume, short and intense workouts etc). Too bad he's a vegan now though :wink:

I think that it is funny how these internet experts bash other peoples training programs especially "bodybuilders", as they focus to much on isolation exercises. I really don't know anyone that trains that way, look at youtube at all of the strong as hell bodybuilder throwing around huge weight on compound exercises.

Even one of my favorite powerlifters "Kroc" does somewhat of a bodypart split. I think some bodybuilders are some the strongest guy around. Bodybuilders and there training methods are an easy target for but I don't see the evidence that there methods are so bad.

Most successful trainers these days are going to market toward "skinny hardgainers" rather than bodybuilders. Its just smart business. You figure, most bodybuilders aren't going to go buy a book like that or a program from a similar site. They'll probably follow a program like DC or something that some other successful bb'er has used.

Also, for every bodybuilder out there, there is probably 5-10 "skinny hardgainers" that are willing to shell out the money to "get big". And you cant blame the guy for bashing bodybuilding programs, because in general the FLEX magazine, and Muscle & Fitness programs of the past and present are pretty much crap.

Sure this is an arguable point, but these programs will more often than not be useless for the beginners that are actually going to try them. You cant simply pick up the routine a 300lb bb'er has been using for the past 6-weeks and expect to get the same results as him.

Also, JF deals with athletes, and many average joes that want to be like athletes. These individuals SHOULD train like an athlete, not like a bb'er. And it seems like he's adopted a pretty good philosophy with using mainly compound free-weight movements, and throwing in a few isolation movements here and there.

The thing I find funny, is his marketing. Im sure he did his research and used a successful marketing template, but it just completely turns me off. Here is an example:

"I Accidentally Stumbled Upon the Hidden Research that
Finally Revealed the Secrets of Unstoppable Muscle Growth
What I discovered that day in the university library utterly blew me away and went against everything I had ever learned about building muscle and strength.

Beyond intrigued, I immediately applied these findings to my own workouts. After many years of frustration and disappointment, I finally began to pack on muscle so fast it was scary.

Within the first month I went from 155 to 177 pounds! I gained more muscle in four weeks than I had in the previous four years! Everyone thought I was on steroids, even though I could barely afford my gym membership, let alone thousands of dollars worth of dangerous drugs."

So he discovered "hiddent research" that stated you must eat a lot to gain weight? And this went against everything he had learned about bodybuilding? Because I dont know about you, but I know for a fact that his training had VERY LITTLE effect on this 22lb weight gain in 4 weeks. Unless his training was picking up cattle and running with them, and then eating them.

I dunno this just throws up some red flags to me. It reminds me of Jimmy Smith's product that came out a while back. He hyped it up so much, making all these claims, and really it seemed as if he spent about 2 hours on the actual information and the rest of his time on marketing it.

But I have seen some example workouts from JF's programs and they look pretty solid. As I mentioned above, it doesn't really take much for a program to be good. As long as it has you working your entire body, lifting heavy weights and eating right, then it CAN work.

But I think these pre-made programs are for the most part a waste of money. This site here has enough info for you to design your own program for free, unless you are a complete idiot.
A beginner should follow a pre-made program for one or two cycles, but after that they should be able to create their own.

Where is the ass, I cant find it?

I agree with what you said above. Dont you think since his product is aimed at "skinny hardgainers" it should focus almost entirely on #1? I haven't read the book, but probably less than 10% of it is about nutrition.

Other than that for "skinny hardgainers" on #2 and #3 they should focus on training more intense, but less overall workloads, and focus on recovering better. That right there sums up what his book SHOULD be about.

Muscle gaining secrets? Lol. Waste of money. Buy a real book instead.

I was very disappointed with it. As a newbie. Sooo.

There are a LOT of complaints on the internet about that book.

haha wow tons of ass n tits on his site lol...go under sex..pretty good pics lol

anyways..it's the only reason i checked out his site..hahah

I've met him.

He couldn't have been over 200lbs

If you read his stuff he HATES machines and claims to never of had a leg press in his gym.