Jason Beck Weightlifting!!

Was surprised when I came across this;First Weightlifting Contest - YouTube

Great power to be able to P-Snatch 110kg!!

What are the advantages in doing a squat jerk rather than one foot behind? (technique-wise)

Holy shit! He was so powerful on those cleans. He didn’t even need to drop down to catch them. It looked like he was doing a power clean and thought, what the hell might as well do a front squat.

Nice must be weird for a powrlifter of his level to switch over. He is used to lifting weight over 3x what he is doing now, must be weird for him.

[quote]machiajelly wrote:
What are the advantages in doing a squat jerk rather than one foot behind? (technique-wise)[/quote]

It’s easier.

I wouldn’t look to Jason Beck for weightlifting technique advice!!

I wouldn’t say it’s easier. If it was just easier, the majority of elite weightlifters would have adopted the technique.

Although, if you have the flexibility, and the strength to squat 2 times with the weight you C&J, then maybe it’s the solution for you, like it was for Dimas/Khaki/Zhang.

Damn, that was great lifting by Beck, those cleans were easy. And I would say his positioning and first/second pull were way better than average, and he is primarily focused on powerlifting :slight_smile:

[quote]mldj wrote:
I wouldn’t say it’s easier. If it was just easier, the majority of elite weightlifters would have adopted the technique.
)[/quote]

Let me clarify, it’s “easier” to learn and requires less effort to put up ok-ish weights than with conventioal jerks. I can quite easily power jerk 110kg, but struggle to do 100kg conventionally. I can do it, but it’s not consistent.

Like you said, Beck’s a powerlifter so I would imagine he’s more concerned with training that will up his PL total than trying to milk and extra 10-20kg out of his jerk thru working on form.

That’s the attitude I would take to it personally, I obviously can’t speak for Jason tho.

Agreed :slight_smile:

Here is an example of something like the opposite - Non-powerlifter doing one of the three lifts with quite respectable weight.

He’s very strong guy, but keep in mind he’s T&F athlete and his form is absolutely awful by any powerlifting standards.

pitkamaki's training. - YouTube - from 1:18.

[quote]mldj wrote:
Agreed :slight_smile:

Here is an example of something like the opposite - Non-powerlifter doing one of the three lifts with quite respectable weight.

He’s very strong guy, but keep in mind he’s T&F athlete and his form is absolutely awful by any powerlifting standards.

pitkamaki's training. - YouTube - from 1:18.[/quote]

Hey nice video, I’m a thrower myself with best event being javelin, so this video is really helpful with all the slow motion technique.

I used to live near Jason and was lucky enough to train with him a few times, although not any time recently. I spoke with him a few months ago he said he was taking some time off from PL but training for a local OL meet. He is BRUTALLY strong in all 3 lifts, with or without gear. Super nice guy too.

He does not split jerk because he has scoliosis in his back, which makes it hard to stay balanced in the split position.

I remember him being very explosive in his squats, doing reps into the 500s well below parallel with just a belt. It would be really interesting to see what kind of weight he will move if he stays with OL, especially considering he’s only been practicing these lifts for a few months!

Jason has scoliosis too?? That’s insane. It’s funny how someone can have a spinal dysfunction and still be world class (ala Lamar Gant)

[quote]Joe Grim wrote:
I used to live near Jason and was lucky enough to train with him a few times, although not any time recently. I spoke with him a few months ago he said he was taking some time off from PL but training for a local OL meet. He is BRUTALLY strong in all 3 lifts, with or without gear. Super nice guy too.

He does not split jerk because he has scoliosis in his back, which makes it hard to stay balanced in the split position.

I remember him being very explosive in his squats, doing reps into the 500s well below parallel with just a belt. It would be really interesting to see what kind of weight he will move if he stays with OL, especially considering he’s only been practicing these lifts for a few months![/quote]

I don’t know if he could go far, but the thing with most who start when they are already strong, they hit a point where they can’t progress much more without getting very solid technique as well as brutally fast with that technique. Also his progress would be much slower, compared to that of powerlifting.

Most get discouraged with the frustration of olympic lifting, and the very marginal progress so they go back into powerlifting. Also he is already a very good powerlifter, but a very mediocre olympic lifter so would be nuts to think he would switch.

For a few months of olympic lifting he is very good though, but I just don’t see him leaving powerlifting and being successful.