Jared's 5/3/1 and Kettlbell Log

After some thought and figuring I think I finally came up with my Full Body Template using 5/3/1 starting in 2 weeks. Not trying to be different or think it’s cool but I think it is in my best interest if I switch to Front Squats as my main squatting movement for a while. Being 6’4" with legs that essentially come up to my chin, I feel as if for the Summer I should concentrate on Front Squatting since it’s a little more tall people friendly than the Back Squat. I will probably come back to the Back Squat at some point but I just feel as it’s never been the best movement for me. Luckily since I’ve been doing High Bar Squats for a while now I think when or if I do come back to it, the transition won’t be as dramatic as when I was going Low Bar. I can sit into a deep squat while staying upright with no problem but lately when the bar is on my back things can get a little ugly if I’m not careful. Now that my belly aching is over here is what I will go with for most of the Summer…

Day 1
Front Squat: 5/3/1
Incline DB Press: 5x10
Pull Ups: May try some weighted Pull Ups at some point

Day 2
Front Squat: 65%x3, 75%x3, 85%x3
Bench Press: 5/3/1
Rows: 5x10

Day 3
Front Squat: 65%x3, 75%x3, 85%x3
Press: 5/3/1
Deadlift: 5/3/1

For conditioning I am hoping to keep consistent on going to the track for sprints and medicine ball throws. Also considering bringing back my 55# kettlebell to the office so when I have a free moment I can hit up a high rep set or two of swings. I do lots of stretching and mobility anyway which is why I don’t mention it here. With the frequent Front Squatting I could be setting myself up for disaster or I could be doing myself a huge favor here. Time will tell, but this is what I plan after my deload / vacation next week.

2 Likes

6/7/16

Squat Day
Front Squats: 225x3, 255x3, 275x3 (Rep PR)
1A) Walking DB Lunges: 35 - 4x10 (each leg)
1B) Planks: 4x30 seconds

Set a rep PR with 3 reps of 275 for Front Squats and will probably make this my Traning Max for 5/3/1. What’s encouraging about this is I definitely have 5 reps in the tank with this weight but had the bar a little too far back on my throat on the 3rd rep and sort of felt the world closing in a bit. Best bet was to rack it before things got too stupid and weird. I was going to do some down sets with some light Back Squats but gripping the bar was bothering my elbows so I went with some walking Lunges with some Planks during rest periods. Probably need to take some ibuprofen for elbows since the pain isn’t really going away on it’s own. Good day today!

6/9/16

Overhead Press Day
Overhead Press: Worked up to 195 for an easy single
Clean & Press (Clean each rep): 165 - 3x5
DB Farmers Walks: 100 - 4x~50 yards
Ab Wheel: 3x10

I worked up in 3’s on Press today going 135x3, 155x3, 175x3 until I hit my single with 195. Originally I was going to press 195 for 3 but my elbow started to twinge a bit so I just hit it as a single. The Clean & Press drop set felt good. Surprisingly this did not bother my elbows at all and the reps were feeling decent. I was reading up on some Dan John articles and realized I have been doing a lot of the stuff he mentions except carrying heavy things. I found a long straight path at the gym which walking it off totaled a little more than 50 yards. The 1st 2 sets I had zero drops, 3rd set I had 1 drop, 4th set I think I had 3. Goal here could be to go all 4 sets and not drop the weight at all before working up heavier. Need to plug these Farmers Walks somewhere into my Full Body Template. Could do these at the end of my workouts. Haven’t done much with ab work lately so the Ab Wheel fit the bill here. Fun workout today.

6/10/16

Deadlift Day
Deadlift: 405x3, 455x3, 500x1
Snatch Grip Deadlift: 315 - 3x8 (beltless)
KB Waiter Walk: 50 - 5x50yds (each hand)
Leg Raise: 3x15

Always good to deadlift 500 pounds even though it felt heavy. Wasn’t a grind but didnt see a need to try anything stupid. Especially since I’m starting my vacation tomorrow. Looking forward to a fun family vacation and some much need R&R. Of course chasing a 3 year old around a beach and swimming pool will certainly keep me busy!

6/13/16
Stretching / Mobility Work
2 mile run

6/14/16
Stretching / Mobility Work
2 mile run

I have been hitting up some morning runs along the beach the past couple of mornings after breakfast. Weather has been too perfect to not do something and figured a steady run fits the bill

6/16/16

Deload Workout
Paused Front Squat: 225x5 (beltless)
OH Press: 135-3x5
Pull Ups: 3x5
DB Farmer Walk: 100 (each hand)-4x50yds

Just wanted to get some movement in today. Happy with the Farmers Walks since I did not have to drop the weight at all. Weights felt light and looking forward to getting back at it next week

6/17/16

Kettlebell / Bodyweight Conditioning
10 Rounds
20 x 55# KB Swings
10 x Push Ups

Wanted to get some movement in before I hit 9 holes on the golf course yesterday. Wasn’t sure how long this took but did not take any time at all. Want to say around 20-25 minutes maybe. Hopefully I can make it to the track today and get some type of running in.w

6/18/16

Litvinov Workout (Slight Variation)
4 Rounds
55# KB Snatch x 8 (each arm)
400 meter hard run

I don’t want to say I sprinted each 400 but ran as hard at a consistent pace for the entire lap as I could. This may be something I revisit down the line since this had me beat at the end at it involved kettlebells along with running. Trying to get a feel for some different ideas for conditioning this week to go along with 531 Full Body work.

6/20/16

5/3/1 Full Body
Front Squat Day (65%, 75%, 85%)
Front Squat: 175x5, 205x5, 230x10 (PR Capped)
1A) Incline DB Press: 65 - 3x10
1B) Pull Ups: BW - 3x8
KB Waiters Walk: 50 - 5x50yds (each hand)

Front Squats felt great today. 230 for 10 reps felt very well and I had a few more left in the tank but capped it there since sweat was making the bar slide a bit. I don’t think I’ve Front Squatted anything over 135 for 10 reps so this was pleasing. Granted I’ve never wanted to Front Squat anything for 10 reps!! Inc. DB Pressing and Pull Ups felt decent and didn’t feel any pain in my elbows which is encouraging. I cut the volume a bit on the presses and pulls so I could get my carries in. Got through the walks pretty quick with no issues. Good day overall and glad to be back lifting some weight. I can tell my deload / vacation last week did me some good!

6/21/16

Office Kettlebellery…

2 Arm Swings; 55# - 1x100, 2x25

Now that I’m back on Full Body workouts I brought one of my kettlebells back to work for those quick moments where you can kick off your shoes and get some swings done. Took only about 5 minutes and it was off to lunch!

2 Likes

6/22/16

5/3/1 Full Body
Bench Press Day (65%, 75%, 85%)
Paused Front Squat: 175x3, 205x3, 230x3
Bench Press: 175x5, 205x5, 235x8
T-Bar Row: 170 - 3x10
DB Farmers Walk: 100 (each hand) - 4x50yds

Pause Front Squats felt pretty routine today. Did not wear a belt on those since the weight was pretty manageable and moved through these very quick. I also worked up to my 5+ set on Bench Press really fast as well. 235 for 8 reps is not a PR but it was my goal for the day. Farmers Walks went very well and will probably get the 105’s next time. Nothing spectacular about today but would still call this a good session!

6/23/16

Simple & Sinister Office Workout

1 Arm KB Swings: 55# - 5x10 (each arm)
Turkish Get Up: 55# - 5x1 (each arm)

Empty workplace for about 30 minutes so I did my Swings in my own office but had to move the Get Ups to the conference room. Get Up strength and technique has gotten pretty poor since I have stopped doing them. I guess I should be pleased to get all 5 sets with my 55# bell since I haven’t done a single Get Up in probably 2 years. Made my shoulders feel better since they felt very tight and sore all day today.

1 Like

6/24/16

5/3/1 Full Body
Oh Press / Deadlift Day (65%,75%,85%)
Paused Front Squats: 205x3, 230x3, 255x1
Oh Press: 125x5, 140x5, 160x8
Deadlift: 315x5, 365x5, 405x10 (rep PR)
KB Waiter Walk: 50 - 3x50yds

Felt good yesterday. Decided to go 3,3,1 on my front squats to get a little heavier weight to do a beltless pause with. 160x8 on Press isn’t a PR but happy with how the weight moved. Previous best with 405 on deadlift was 8 and felt confident I could at worst match it. I got to 9 and figured I might as well get 1 more and make it 10. Very happy with 10 reps at 405. Cut my walks to 3 since the deadlifts were pretty tiring. Good day overall!!

6/25/16

Simple & Sinister

1 Arm KB Swing: 55# - 5x10 (each arm)
Turkish Get Up: 35# - 5x1 (each arm)

Needed something quick and simple since I would not be able to make it to the track since it is my sons 4th B-Day party today. Took only 12 minutes to complete which kept me on track as far as time getting his party ready. Do what I can with what I got!!

1 Like

6/27/16

5/3/1 Full Body
Front Squat Day (70%, 80%, 90%)
Front Squat: 190x3, 215x3, 240x8 (PR)
1A) Incline DB Press: 65x10, 70x10, 75x10
1B) Pull Ups: BW - 4x8
DB Farmers Walk: 105 (each hand) - 4x50yds

Happy to set another PR on Front Squats today. Like I mentioned last week, pretty much anything over 5 reps past 225 is going to be a PR at this point but a PR is a PR in my book. Goal for the day was 8 reps and everything moved well except the bar was sliding a bit forward on my 8th rep but was able to manage. Also pleased that I got through all 4 sets of Farmers Walks with 105# Dumbbells even though that last walk was getting very close to slipping out of my left hand. Good session overall today!

6/29/16

5/3/1 Full Body
Bench Press Day (70%, 80%, 90%)
Paused Front Squat: 195x3, 215x3, 240x3 (Beltless)
Bench Press: 195x3, 225x3, 250x6
T-Bar Row: 180 - 3x10
KB Waiters Walk: 50 - 5x50yds (each arm)

I got my numbers a little mixed up so the Front Squats ended being a little heavier than planned. Not a big deal considering the weight I was using. I took my Bench Press PR set to the conservative side and capped at six. 8 reps were definitely in the tank but no spotter and was pleased how each rep moved. Rows and Walks went well. Need to either get a heavier dumbbell to move up in weight with the Waiter Walk or haul in some of my kettlebells to make progress here. Good session!

7/1/16

5/3/1 Full Body
OH Press / Deadlift Day (70%,80%,90%)
Paused Front Squat: 215x3, 230x3, 255x1
Oh Press: 135x3, 150x3, 170x6
Deadlift: 335x3, 385x3, 435x8 (PR)
DB Farmers Walks: 105 (each hand) 4x50yds

Didn’t feel like I had my best stuff yesterday but turned out to be a good day. Paused Beltless Front Squats moved well but felt pretty stiff the whole time. Presses felt okay but still capped my PR set at 6. Technique I feel is getting better but still not quite where it was. The deadlift PR was a little surprising. 385 felt heavier than it should feel and wasn’t sure how 435 was going to go. 435 felt way lighter than 385 and was able to get 8 solid reps. Of course I did the first two sets without a belt so that may have had something to do with it. Farmers Walks went well and will probably up the weight next week. Solid workout yesterday!

7/2/16

Track Day
20# Med Ball
20 x Slams
10 x Backward Throws
10 x Overhead Forward Throws

4 Rounds of:
8 x 55# KB Snatches (each arm)
400m Run

A few sets of stair sprints to finish

Good conditioning session. Was getting tough toward the end but I didn’t feel like I wanted to die at any point which is a positive!!

7/4/16

5/3/1 Full Body
Front Squat Day (75%, 85%, 95%)
Front Squat: 205x5, 230x3, 255x6 (PR)
KB Snatch: 50 - 3x20 (each arm)
KB Long Cycle: 2-40s 3x10

Very crowded gym today which was surprising for a holiday. Happy with 255 for 6 reps on Front Squats but 8 was easily achievable. Bar rolled back a bit on my throat which threw me off a bit. Capped at 6 and happy with a PR. Dumbbell area was overcrowded so I went to where the kettlebells were and did some snatching and long cycle. Good session today!

7/5/16

Home Kettlebell Workout

2 Hand Swings" 80# KB - 4x25
Plank: 4x30 secs

Went home for lunch today so figured I would swing the bell around for a bit. Nice little conditioning session but more about just getting some movement since I was feeling pretty tight earlier this morning.

On a side note, I was looking through my spreadsheets and have come to the conclusion that 5/3/1 is the best program for ME to get stronger. The Cube was a fun program to run but I think that would work better for someone that is actually gearing up for a competition more than someone like me who just like slinging weights around. I also noticed what 5/3/1 Templates seem to drive progress on certain lifts. More of a mental not for me so I will just jot this down here…

To increase my Bench Press: Spinal Tap and Advanced 5/3/1 (Volume)
To increase my Squat / Front Squat: Rep PR’s on Full Body (Frequency)
To increase my Deadlift: Rep PR’s (Less is more when it comes to Deadlifts and me)
To increase my Overhead Press: Advanced 5/3/1 (Volume)

I don’t think there is any magic formula to this but just some observations looking through my log and where I have set some PR’s that I was pretty pleased with. It will be good for me too look at this and come up with a Template for myself when I can get back to a 4 day a week template. Trying to do Spinal Tap or Advanced 5/3/1 on the Full Body Template would be a bit too much and would take a long time to get through a workout especially on Friday where I have Press and Deadlift. Giving myself something to think about as far as training is concerned!