T Nation

Jared Leto Pretends to be Kurt Cobain

I was inspired by the Staley/Cobain thread to post this. Lots of out-rage over Leto releasing this video

Thrash Hits simply said "F--k off. Seriously, Leto, just f--k off".
The Press posted a comment by a Nirvana fan which said "This makes me physically sick. I think it's pretty clear to anyone with even a passing knowledge of Kurt that he'd have found this 'performance' and talk of a biopic entirely repulsive. 30 Seconds to Vomit."

Personally, I see Leto as an actor (a fairly good one), and I view this as Leto trying to get a role, with perhaps a larger more personal motivation of 'I would love to be Kurt Cobain'.

It's not a terrible impression, regardless of your perspective.

Thoughts?

i hate nirvana

I think Leto is a better singer than Cobain was anyways. He did that video as a tribute so people shouldn't be getting their panties in a twist.

Yup, I agree. I really don't like 30 Seconds to Mars, but he does have a better voice.

I thought it was a pretty good tribute, people should chill out.

Nirvana is overrated

in b4....ah crap^

He killed himself for silly reasons. Deserves no respect for anything other then his musical talent.
Who cares who impersonates him as long as it not with a shotgun in their mouth. In his letter he says

"Sometimes I feel as if I should have a punch-in time clock before I walk out on stage.I've tried everything within my power to appreciate it (and I do, God, believe me I do, but it's not enough). I appreciate the fact that I and we have affected and entertained a lot of people. It must be one of those narcissists who only appreciate things when they're gone. I'm too sensitive. I need to be slightly numb in order to regain the enthusiasms I once had as a child"

Maybe he shouldve just quit music and starting painting or something but getting tired of something is not a reason to kill yourself. Knits some sweaters or whatever.

No way, I prefer Cobains voice to Jared Leto. His voice is too polished.

I wouldn't call Leto a good vocalist...he is very dramatic and his expression and phrasing are really cool. I really enjoy listening to it. But from a musical perspective...meh. I've seen very few performances where he stays on key.

People love getting offended

I thought it was excellent!

Remember he is acting AND singing AND playing an instrument! What actor can convincingly pull all that off without looking like a dumb shit?

This is the description from the video -

I heard today (April 5) was the day Kurt passed away 17 years ago. Can't believe it's been that long. So grateful for his contribution and inspiration. Not sure I'd be doing this if it weren't for him. He gave us all permission to create no matter what our skill set and reminded me that dreams are possible. Thanks for that. This made me recall a short piece of film I shot when I heard they were making a film celebrating his life. I made it to explore the character and explore creative possibilities. I never sent it to the studio or to anyone but thought I'd share it now...
- Jared Leto

I don't see it as a big deal.

Some people take shite to seriously sometimes...

Who fucking cares? Cobain was a bitch and his psychotic fans are even bigger bitches.

Nirvana was a decent band. End of story. They were not life changing, they were not Led Zeppelin or Chuck Berry.

I thought the days of kids wearing black proclaiming his awesomeness in a monoton voice were finally over.

Big deal, my grandpa "pretended" to be Kurt Cobain years ago.

Nirvana was great - but overrated - just like Cobain himself.

However, I thought what Leto did there was pretty cool.

There has been talk for awhile about a Kurt Cobain movie, and Leto was among the guys mentioned to play him.

Good point.

Eh, Nirvana sucked more than Jared Leto - and Leto blows donkey balls.

So, yeah.

Joaquin Phoenix

Dennis Quaid? Val Kilmer (minus the instrument part)?