Japanese Cars, Australian Cars, Other Cars Cool

The FD RX-7 might the best looking car to ever come out of Japan.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
The FD RX-7 might the best looking car to ever come out of Japan. [/quote]
Agreed.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
Anyone driven a Wankel? They stopped making them in 2012. Wankel engines are popular with hot rodders as they have an inherent high power to weight ratio and tuning potential. The RX 8 produced near 280 hp stock from a 1.3 liter engine.[/quote]

Weren’t all of the RX7s (and predecessors) rotary?

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
240Z

Driving one is like being touched in your bathing suit area by Lucy Liu.[/quote]

My best friend growing up had a 260 (I think) and it got wrecked. On replacement he wanted a sun roof, but the 280 he bought didn’t have one. He bought an aftermarket and installed himself. Said his sack was pretty tight when he made the first sheet metal cut ;7)

R34 GTR Nissan Skyline.

My favorite example of the Skylines.[/quote]

I’m not disagreeing and you’re not wrong, but something about the R32 really works for me. Especially with nice wheels. It bridges the gap between 80’s and 90’s styling perfectly imho.

[quote]treco wrote:

My best friend growing up had a 260 (I think) and it got wrecked. On replacement he wanted a sun roof, but the 280 he bought didn’t have one. He bought an aftermarket and installed himself. Said his sack was pretty tight when he made the first sheet metal cut ;7)[/quote]

I couldn’t even imagine doing that myself. I did help a friend put an aftermarket sun roof in his Ford Tempo. That thing leaked like a sieve.

[quote]treco wrote:

My best friend growing up had a 260 (I think) and it got wrecked. On replacement he wanted a sun roof, but the 280 he bought didn’t have one. He bought an aftermarket and installed himself. Said his sack was pretty tight when he made the first sheet metal cut ;7)[/quote]

I couldn’t even imagine doing that myself. I did help a friend put an aftermarket sun roof in his Ford Tempo. That thing leaked like a sieve.
[/quote]

This one never did, but with all of the Zep, Nugent, Foghat et al - it should have!

Just remembered another friend having a 280 that he and I rolled after losing traction at 100 mph on a wet country road going to a lake party.

We ending upside down. Both of us with a small cut on opposite sides of the forehead. As we climbed out, some raucous jam was blaring and I remember him saying that if his car was totaled (It was) that he had just gotten the sound system and he wanted to take it out.

I was thinking God for integrated roll cage that the Zs purportedly had.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
Anyone driven a Wankel? They stopped making them in 2012. Wankel engines are popular with hot rodders as they have an inherent high power to weight ratio and tuning potential. The RX 8 produced near 280 hp stock from a 1.3 liter engine.[/quote]

The 1.3 liter thing always bothers me. It’s only sorta a 1.3 liter engine. It depends on how you measure it. 1.3 liters is the smallest way to measure those engines. There are problems with comparing that to a 4 stroke ICE engine. First, on a 4 stroke that volume only fires every other rotation of the crankshaft, a rotary motor the lobe volume fires every rotation of the rotor. So, that volume gets used twice as much for every rotation of the rotor compared to a crank. Second, the actual output shaft from the rotary engine rotates at a different speed to that of the rotor. If you actually compare usable volume based on a rotation of the output shaft, I think you can actually calculated the volume to be over 3 liters.

It is an amazing engine, but the power to engine displacement isn’t really a comparable statistic. Displacement doesn’t really mean the same thing in a rotary engine.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
I was thinking of the 5.0 litre Mustang GT in six speed manual perhaps because I’ve heard the price will be very competitive and that the 2015 with the coyote engine is a nice ride. Still pondering though.[/quote]

Same here, they are going to sell heaps of them, some where between 50 -70 k, cheap for what you get, i had dismissed the smaller capacity mustang but then read some good reports of the engine’s performance so it will be interesting how they sell and perform on Australia’s roads.

[quote]aussie486 wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
I was thinking of the 5.0 litre Mustang GT in six speed manual perhaps because I’ve heard the price will be very competitive and that the 2015 with the coyote engine is a nice ride. Still pondering though.[/quote]

Same here, they are going to sell heaps of them, some where between 50 -70 k, cheap for what you get, i had dismissed the smaller capacity mustang but then read some good reports of the engine’s performance so it will be interesting how they sell and perform on Australia’s roads.
[/quote]

You’re getting one too? Good choice. Pat has a 2013 GT and he was saying the Ford Racing suspension is great and then Roush does a supercharger for it boosting it over 600hp. The other car I like the look of though is the HSV GTS Gen F with the LSA engine. It’s the fastest production car ever produced in Australia(Pic attached from the one I test drove). I drove this one at the dealership and it’s sweet but I couldn’t really drive very fast with the salesman next me. Also like the really lightweight cars like Lotuses and Westfields. They’re great to drive and they’re faster than Pagani Zondas around the track(on Top Gear) because they’re so light with such a high power to weight ratio and great aerodynamics, centre of gravity, handling etc. But I think the Grand Tourer will be a much better long distance cruiser. I’ll probably get a lightweight sports car for weekend fun and either the GT or the HSV GTS Gen F as an everyday.

I’ll admit that i HATE front wheel drive, however these are sexy vehicles.

If honda would have made the last gen prelude rear drive, with the S2000 drivetrain it would be an all time classic.

Just the thought of 9k rpm, and a 6spd gives me a chub. Thinking about how those F20C motors take to boost, well…

4th / 5th gen vtec preludes weren’t bad on power really. 200 hp properly equiped vs 230ish? in an s2000? And they don’t rev as high as the s2000, but they do have longer strokes. I test drove a few of them at the dealership for kicks, and they were sure as hell faster than my 87.

Than again, you can get numbers like those on a motorcycle these days.

Speaking of bikes… While technically made in the USA, the Honda Rune has to be one of my favorite metric bikes. Do want.

For those who like to go fast. The ZZR1400. 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, 9 second quarter mile, 187 mile per hour top speed. Your’s for the price of a used Civic. Try not to die.

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:
4th / 5th gen vtec preludes weren’t bad on power really. 200 hp properly equiped vs 230ish? in an s2000? And they don’t rev as high as the s2000, but they do have longer strokes. I test drove a few of them at the dealership for kicks, and they were sure as hell faster than my 87.

Than again, you can get numbers like those on a motorcycle these days.[/quote]

I drive a 5th gen prelude as my daily driver. Only I have it stripped down to about 2500 pounds with something like 215 HP. It’s really fun to drive. I even plan on going lighter in the near future.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

This is nuts, but look at the part where it’s showing the speedo. Look at how fast that thing accelerates from 140 to 200+![/quote]

Tires were probably rated for only 200

Looks like the only damage was the rocker trim and the stains in the seat which are never coming out.

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:
Try not to die.[/quote]

As an avid motorcyclist comments like these drive me crazy. It’s not that hard to ride a fast motorcycle and just because a bike can go fast doesn’t mean that you’re going to die riding it.

james