Japan Living

Hello,

Just reaching out to all that are living in the Tokyo, Kanto area!

I recently moved here and I am looking for a gym that has proper equipment and will allow deadlifts and has other advanced lifters.

I spotted a gym, in the south end of Ueno on the way to Akihabara, that looked equipped but I have not been able to locate it since.

I am aware of Gold’s gym as well, but looking for something local if it’s possible.

Take care.

Haven’t lived in Kanto for some time now, and most of my gym time was spent east of Koiwa, but what is your nearest station, on which train line? Maybe one of the gyms I’ve gone to has a branch near you.

I take it you are on the east side of Tokyo??

Unfortunately there aren’t a whole lot of private gyms in Tokyo that are geared towards the hardcore. In fact, if you are more interested in bodybuilding, getting a Gold’s Gym all pass (so you can go to any gold’s) IS probably your best bet. Most gold’s will have strong people around evening and night time, and it varies a little per location. Most of them tend to be OK with deadlifts as long as you are not slamming the weights down and have a reasonable amount of control on the descent.

Team X-Treme Power is reasonably priced (for Japan) and geared towards Powerlifting. Try googling them – they actually have a good website (unfortunately most of Japan has not really learned how to make efficient and easy to view webpages yet).

Actually, the Tokyo Powerlifting meet is being held at their gym on April 4th, so you can check out the gym and try to network some.

edit: also look for a nearby city/district gymnasium. Some of them have lifting equipment. It can range from abysmal to quite good, and it’s fairly cheap.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

Unfortunately there aren’t a whole lot of private gyms in Tokyo that are geared towards the hardcore. In fact, if you are more interested in bodybuilding, getting a Gold’s Gym all pass (so you can go to any gold’s) IS probably your best bet. Most gold’s will have strong people around evening and night time, and it varies a little per location. Most of them tend to be OK with deadlifts as long as you are not slamming the weights down and have a reasonable amount of control on the descent.

Team X-Treme Power is reasonably priced (for Japan) and geared towards Powerlifting. Try googling them – they actually have a good website (unfortunately most of Japan has not really learned how to make efficient and easy to view webpages yet).

Actually, the Tokyo Powerlifting meet is being held at their gym on April 4th, so you can check out the gym and try to network some.

edit: also look for a nearby city/district gymnasium. Some of them have lifting equipment. It can range from abysmal to quite good, and it’s fairly cheap.[/quote]

Hello Sutebun,

Thanks for the informative post!

There’s a good chance I will end over in Meijiro area in the next couple of months, so Team X-Treme Power looks like it will be a great option for me.

Gold’s seems to be the go to gym for Bodybuilding here, I have walked by a couple of their locations but I haven’t given it a shot due to my location.

I’m not a weight slammer but there are times that I make noise if I fail on a max.

I found another lifter on here that has been living in Japan for the last decade or so named Cortes, but I can’t seem to send PM’s on here as of yet.

Thanks for the help guys and I will be sure to fill in the blanks on this thread with more relevant information as time goes on out here.

[quote]shibainu wrote:

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

edit: also look for a nearby city/district gymnasium. Some of them have lifting equipment. It can range from abysmal to quite good, and it’s fairly cheap.[/quote]

Hello Sutebun,

There’s a good chance I will end over in Meijiro area in the next couple of months, so Team X-Treme Power looks like it will be a great option for me.

Gold’s seems to be the go to gym for Bodybuilding here, I have walked by a couple of their locations but I haven’t given it a shot due to my location.

I’m not a weight slammer but there are times that I make noise if I fail on a max.

I found another lifter on here that has been living in Japan for the last decade or so named Cortes, but I can’t seem to send PM’s on here as of yet.

Thanks for the help guys and I will be sure to fill in the blanks on this thread with more relevant information as time goes on out here.[/quote]

Cortes is my friend.

I’ll let him know you’re looking to get hold of him.

He lives very far away from Kanto, however.

Waiting for Chushin to chime in.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]shibainu wrote:

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

Hello Sutebun,

Thanks for the help guys and I will be sure to fill in the blanks on this thread with more relevant information as time goes on out here.[/quote]

Cortes is my friend.

I’ll let him know you’re looking to get hold of him.

He lives very far away from Kanto, however.[/quote]

Thanks for the mention, I just noticed that he was interested in chemical analysis which the area that I work in.

Hi Shibainu. Well, I guess I am interested in chemical analysis, when it involves the chemicals that make a body larger, harder and stronger. Other than that, I am not in any way qualified to comment on the subject.

As far as a gym in Tokyo, I have no clue because I live in the middle of the country. That said, even though I live so far away from everything, there are still, even in my little town, three gyms where you can get a good, dirty workout, and two of them are very good. I have a really hard time believing there aren’t some excellent gyms in Tokyo. In fact, I’m positive there are because there is a thriving BB community here and a lot of the top competitors come out of that area.

I have a friend I will ask and maybe I’ll get back to you with a suggestion, but in the meantime, I would get a Japanese buddy to help you poke around with google for something.

Here is advice from my friend who is an IFBB-Japan judge. You won’t find much better advice than this, I imagine:

In Kanto there is one big franchise hardcore gym “Gold’s gym”

Other one is “Anytime fitness”

Or He can find out in IFBB-Japan list, but these gyms are very old. only few gym are new.

http://www.jbbf.jp/List/_List.html

If you will get a friend to help you with that JBBF list there are an assload of gyms listed on there. I imagine that all of them are decent, and that some are excellent.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
If you will get a friend to help you with that JBBF list there are an assload of gyms listed on there. I imagine that all of them are decent, and that some are excellent.
[/quote]

Hello Cortes,

Thanks for taking the time to post the links! I have a few links myself, but I was not sure if it was ok to post links prior to my account on here being approved by the moderators. I do not know how long this process will take, but I hope they get around to removing my account limitations soon.

The JBBF site that you linked to should really help out for finding a local gym. I will ask a friend to help me out with searching on that site, thanks.

I also have similar interested as you mentioned regarding chemical analysis. I work with factories in china that focus on peptides, hormone and nootropic based.

If you are interested in testing for your research, please let me know.

[quote]shibainu wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:
[/quote]

Hello Cortes,

Thanks for taking the time to post the links! I have a few links myself, but I was not sure if it was ok to post links prior to my account on here being approved by the moderators. I do not know how long this process will take, but I hope they get around to removing my account limitations soon.

The JBBF site that you linked to should really help out for finding a local gym. I will ask a friend to help me out with searching on that site, thanks.

I also have similar interested as you mentioned regarding chemical analysis. I work with factories in china that focus on peptides, hormone and nootropic based.

If you are interested in testing for your research, please let me know.[/quote]

Shibainu, take a look at the info section of my hub.

Is Uncle Tetsu Japanese Cheese Cake really that good?

The First North American location opened in my city and there’s a 30 person lineup out the door every time I walk by.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

The First North American location opened in my city and there’s a 30 person lineup out the door every time I walk by.

[/quote]

Never heard of it!

7-11 sells cheesecake by the slice here and it’s pretty bomb. So is their chocolate cake. Actually, pretty much everything in Japan’s 7-11 is amazing to the point that I can’t believe it is supposed to be the same brand as the slurpee and hot dog convenience store of my childhood memories.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

Never heard of it!

7-11 sells cheesecake by the slice here and it’s pretty bomb. So is their chocolate cake. Actually, pretty much everything in Japan’s 7-11 is amazing to the point that I can’t believe it is supposed to be the same brand as the slurpee and hot dog convenience store of my childhood memories.[/quote]

It’s not the same brand. 7-11 in Japan is owned by Ito Yokado, which also owns Aeon and Daiei, the largest supermarket chains in Japan.

In other words, they sell real food, so it’s understood that 7-11 should, too.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

Never heard of it!

7-11 sells cheesecake by the slice here and it’s pretty bomb. So is their chocolate cake. Actually, pretty much everything in Japan’s 7-11 is amazing to the point that I can’t believe it is supposed to be the same brand as the slurpee and hot dog convenience store of my childhood memories.[/quote]

It’s not the same brand. 7-11 in Japan is owned by Ito Yokado, which also owns Aeon and Daiei, the largest supermarket chains in Japan.

[/quote]

I understand it’s not owned by the American 7-11. It’s astonishing because the name and logo is all the same yet the interior and atmosphere is so different. Not in a cliche “oh they sell rice here” kind of way, but the actual presentation itself.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

Never heard of it!

[/quote]

According to wiki:

-Eleven Inc. is headquartered in Dallas, Texas. Its parent company, Seven-Eleven Japan Co. Ltd., is located in Tokyo, Japan.[3] Seven-Eleven Japan Co. Ltd. is held by the Seven & I Holdings Co. Ltd. holding company.[2]

never knew that.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

Never heard of it!

[/quote]

I understand it’s not owned by the American 7-11. It’s astonishing because the name and logo is all the same yet the interior and atmosphere is so different. Not in a cliche “oh they sell rice here” kind of way, but the actual presentation itself.

[/quote]

Really? Where I live the logo looks like this.

Tripped me out the first time I saw it.

That only changed somewhat recently, a few years ago. I assumed it was because of a merger.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

I was in the neighbourhood a couple of days ago, at the TBBS shop at the corner. Saw the lineup and thought I might wait, but people in line told me that they’d been waiting for over 2 hours. I’m sorry, but 2 hours? I love me some cheesecake, but I can pick it up in Kensington with no wait. Have you tried the Uncle Tetsu?