T Nation

Janos Baranyai's Olympic Injury

Video of the lift-gone-wrong today, these is graphic so be warned.

More can be found here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/13/janos-baranyai-photos-vid_n_118695.html

Ugh…I can’t seem to watch the video, but those photos are bad enough.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Ugh…I can’t seem to watch the video, but those photos are bad enough.[/quote]

In the video he appears to go into shock, and the chineese staffers bring out Beijing 2008 white panel signs to block him from sight of the audience/cameras while the trainers work on him. Other than that, the pictures tell the stories pretty well.

I saw that happen to one of my kid brother’s friends in a wrestling tournament. The only thing worse looking I’ve seen in person was a dislocated kneecap playing soccer.

I HATE seeing weightlifting injuries. That sucks, I can’t imagine what the recovery time is from something like that.

i must be a morbid fuck… i can’t stop watching them… i have an entire collection on youtube

I’ve been watching the Olympic weightlifting live from my computer around 9-10 p.m. central time and I couldn’t believe it when I saw this video. I really feel bad for Janos not being able to compete anymore.

Other weightlifters have almost had similar accidents. A couple of them while on the jerking part almost walk off the platform while trying to balance the weights. I wished Janos would’ve just let go of the weights once they were to far away from his shoulders to control.

[quote]Jetric9 wrote:
I’ve been watching the Olympic weightlifting live from my computer around 9-10 p.m. central time and I couldn’t believe it when I saw this video. I really feel bad for Janos not being able to compete anymore.

Other weightlifters have almost had similar accidents. A couple of them while on the jerking part almost walk off the platform while trying to balance the weights. I wished Janos would’ve just let go of the weights once they were to far away from his shoulders to control.[/quote]

I just found a clip of it on youtube.

I don’t think he could have let go considering how fast it happened.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Jetric9 wrote:

Other weightlifters have almost had similar accidents. A couple of them while on the jerking part almost walk off the platform while trying to balance the weights. I wished Janos would’ve just let go of the weights once they were to far away from his shoulders to control.

I don’t think he could have let go considering how fast it happened.[/quote]

These guys are pros and I’m sure they know when they are in trouble. I still think he should have let it go sooner before disaster. He is in his 3rd attempt, if its a good lift, he continues, but if he does not get a good lift, then he would be done for the night.

[quote]Jetric9 wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Jetric9 wrote:

I don’t think he could have let go considering how fast it happened.

These guys are pros and I’m sure they know when they are in trouble. I still think he should have let it go sooner before disaster. He is in his 3rd attempt, if its a good lift, he continues, but if he does not get a good lift, then he would be done for the night.[/quote]

Ah, I didn’t know it was his third attempt.

Just saw an article that said he should be able to return to weightlifting in 3-4 months since nothing was broken, just dislocated right at the joint.

[quote]Jetric9 wrote:
Other weightlifters have almost had similar accidents. A couple of them while on the jerking part almost walk off the platform while trying to balance the weights. I wished Janos would’ve just let go of the weights once they were to far away from his shoulders to control.[/quote]

Agreed, but I guess easier said than done when the bar ends up too far behind you. Too far in front, that probably would have been a different story…

Looks like he held on that long cause he wanted it bad. Even though he got messed up I got mad respect.