T Nation

Jane Fonda

Jane Fonda has written a memoir titled “My Life so Far”.

Her activities during the 60’s pre-date me a bit and I don’t really remember her back then. She pissed off my father’s generation a great deal, however.

I heard an interview on the radio with her today. She is distancing herself from her famous North Vietnamese recruiting poster photo. I think she did the same on 60 minutes.

What are everyone’s thoughts on Jane?

Ignorant Bitch.

Oh, did I say that?

I grew up knowing Jane Fonda as the person who had all those workout tapes, and didn’t know her as Hanoi Jane until later.

She did go and support our enemy in a time of war, made broadcasts supporting the enemy voluntarily, and took pictures which were used for propaganda. She is what is called a “useful idiot”. The use and influence, they actually secretly supported, was their most successful fight in the war. Similarly, and more recently, we have had Anti-war rallies that were actually started by Iraqi Nationals.

Fonda only got away with her actions because of political benefit to Nixon, who also stopped the war only because he needed to focus on Watergate.

Jane has apologized, but only during times which it benefits her, such as when she has a project out that can be hurt by negative publicity. I do not find her to be sincere, especially when she is making almost the exact same statements about the current war, again being a useful idiot.

Her attacks on POW’s when they came back was the worst, accusing them of lying about their torture, and harsh treatment.

Her problem is the same of many from that generation. The idea of communist ideals fooled many of the young and ignorant, (again the product of Soviet Union influence,) and many of the free love, never bathe, take as many drugs as possible hippies thought they were actually intelligent. (Ever listen to a person who gets high way too much?)

But before anyone posts about her receiving notes from POW’s about torture, I should point out that this is a myth.

Ya, but her daughter is pretty hot.
Dont know about the Hanoi Jane thing it pre-dates me but I get disgusted by people who act like that during a time of war when she should have been supporting our troops or at most rallying to bring them home instead of garnering support for the Vietcong.

I’ll forgive that traitorous bitch when the jews forgive hitler.

I thought the picture of Jane and john “I’m reporting for duty” kerry was quite telling.

JeffR

Which picture? This one?

Back during the Vietnam war some war protesters such as Fonda actually supported the enemy.

Students at Berkley actually sent supplies to North Vietnam.

Any examples of this during the current war?

I know Sean Penn went to Iraq, but that was before the war so it doesn’t count.

My father was fighting in Vietnam (Hue City I belive) when she started her ugly and terrible campaign that ultimately aided the VC/NVA greatly. He said while him and his friends where fighting and dying she was running around North Vietnam mounting AA guns, discrediting POWS and supporting the Communist North like it was a field trip in the 3rd grade. He said it just broke their hearts. Those veterans will never forgive her, ever.

Fuck her. She has never made a real apology to the Veitnam Vetrans. As one vet told me she said a few words but when you have the kind of money she has how bout a nice big donation to the VA? Its one thing to disagree with a war its another to meet with the oppostition and take pictures holding weapons used to kill Americans. I dont usually give a shit what celebs do but I feel she engaged in an act of treason.

I am not trying to irritate any of my conservative friends, but it might be time to leave the entire “Hanoi Jane” thing alone.

Okay, she went to North Vietnam and turned her back on the country, but that was 40 years ago!

Jimmy Carter pardoned all of the draft dodgers who fled to Canada, in 1977. He felt that 10 oh so years away from their families was enough punishment for escaping a controversial war. Exactly how long does Jane Fonda have to be punished for an indiscretion which took place 40 years ago when she was 23? Do some of you want to be held accountable when you are 63 for acts which took place when you were young and foolish? (which stage some of you are currently in).

Granted it was serious, but in all fairness it was a very controversial war. Now just because it was controversial does not give her or anyone else the right to act in traitorous ways. However, she has since apologized for her behavior (many times) and has done nothing even remotely similar since.

Come on guys even some murderers are freed after 25 years of hard time. I think it’s time for fair minded people to stop complaing about Jane Fonda!

Muskie,

Thanks!!!

Had not see that picture!!!

There is another I was thinking of. Will try to find it.

JeffR

Jane and John.

Wait a minute, didn’t the “smart” people vote for John Kerry?

JeffR

[quote]Muskie wrote:
Which picture? This one?

[/quote]

This one

Doogie,

That second picture was the one that I had seen.

Was there any coverage of the first picture during the campaign?

That seems far more damning to me.

JeffR

What some people don’t appreciate is that Huey’s, F-4’s and various Navy planes were being plucked out of the air like ducks…killing and wounding Americans is numbers that would make you cringe…

Fonda then took pics at an AA/SAM battery, aiming it in the air as if targeting U.S. planes…

For many, that was unforgivable…

Mufasa

Did anyone watch Letterman last night, (4-6-05)? The commercial showed that he asked her about it but it didn’t show her answer. I was just wondering what she said…? I tried to stay up, but I need my sleepy…

[quote]JeffR wrote:
Doogie,

That second picture was the one that I had seen.

Was there any coverage of the first picture during the campaign?

That seems far more damning to me.

JeffR[/quote]

One would expect it to be more damning, considering it’s fake. Why would the press cover a fake photo?

And how is the second photo at all “telling”? What does it tell you? That Jane Fonda and John Kerry were once at the same place and didn’t address each other at all. What a shocking revelation!

But then again you are a conservative, so it’s expected that you believe unsubstantiated propaganda, lie, and are altogether illogical. You’re excused.

Thanks!!!

[quote]ZEB wrote:
I am not trying to irritate any of my conservative friends, but it might be time to leave the entire “Hanoi Jane” thing alone.

Okay, she went to North Vietnam and turned her back on the country, but that was 40 years ago!

Jimmy Carter pardoned all of the draft dodgers who fled to Canada, in 1977. He felt that 10 oh so years away from their families was enough punishment for escaping a controversial war. Exactly how long does Jane Fonda have to be punished for an indiscretion which took place 40 years ago when she was 23? Do some of you want to be held accountable when you are 63 for acts which took place when you were young and foolish? (which stage some of you are currently in).

Granted it was serious, but in all fairness it was a very controversial war. Now just because it was controversial does not give her or anyone else the right to act in traitorous ways. However, she has since apologized for her behavior (many times) and has done nothing even remotely similar since.

Come on guys even some murderers are freed after 25 years of hard time. I think it’s time for fair minded people to stop complaing about Jane Fonda![/quote]

Wow. Great post Zeb. To some though, treason is simply unforgivable. That’s why I burn every confederate flag I can get my hands on. Treasonous fucks.

Zeb:

Often, years later, people will give these weak, disjointed, insincere, “PC” apologies…

Not Fonda…

She has said “I was wrong…I apologize…and will regret it for the rest of my life…”

Mufasa

I saw her on the View yesterday and she also talked about the fact that one of her husbands “made” her hire prostitutes for 3 ways. That she was against it but had to do it for her husband. Now I grew up looking at her as this big advocate for women , so to me she is nothing but a hypocrite. She was talking like she was some kind of victim in all of it. Oh yeah, and while she was selling all those tapes to show what a great body you could have if you followed her advise-bulimic,throwing up about 8 times a day.-Julianne