James Strickland - Road to 700 Bench. 1 Week Out

inb4 you join the IPF master race

I bet I could hold my own as a 93 but I hate them most of all ha ha. Mainly with the gear thing they got going on.

Vince, you really do sound like you and the IPF were made for each other.

I have done a few IPF-affiliated meets and the pause was only a split second longer at most than in Strickland’s video. At the last meet it was faster than I expected, you probably would have said the same thing about it. The bottom line is that the bar only needs to come to a full stop, some judges like to make people wait an extra moment or they have slow reaction time but I don’t see an issue with this.

As for the sink and heave thing, again you can do that in the IPF as well (look up videos of Kelly Branton) but the difference is that you can’t lift your head off the bench. As you see with Dan Green, that can allow for more of a heave.

What do you mean exactly about the gear thing? I was looking at USPA and they are just as restrictive, my IPF-approved wrist wraps (Inzer Grippers) are not allowed in USPA/IPL and Titan Yellow Jacket knee sleeves are only allowed for equipped. As far as gear goes, those two feds seem to be on a similar level but USPA/IPL has nowhere near the amount of stupidity that the IPF does.

This is my idea of a decent comp pause so we’re all clear. Watch Second set last rep. Vincent Pachuta on Instagram: "340 for 6 triples. First and sixth shown. Moving easy. #powerlifting #181 #benchpress #bench # bodybuildingmotivation #fitness #raw #fitnessmotivation"

It’s only a split second difference. Personally, it doesn’t bother me either way and in training I pause about as long as you did there. I imagine you would be a harsh judge.