T Nation

Jamaican Sprinters Continue to Dominate

Jamaica has a long history of producing world class 100 sprinters. The names Linford Christie, Donovan Bailey, Don Quarrie, Asafa Powell, even shamed Ben Johnson. Now We have a new phenom, world record holder over 200m (junior record) at 19.93 done at 17 years of age. Standing 6 5’ the big man focused his talents on the 100m last night. What a result. 9.76!!! Second fastest time ever over the distance. The 100 & 200m dashes should be outstanding at the Olympics. The USA had better keep a close eye on that little island in the sun!!! They mean business.

[quote]Kwalts wrote:
Jamaica has a long history of producing world class 100 sprinters. The names Linford Christie, Donovan Bailey, Don Quarrie, Asafa Powell, even shamed Ben Johnson. Now We have a new phenom, world record holder over 200m (junior record) at 19.93 done at 17 years of age. Standing 6 5’ the big man focused his talents on the 100m last night. What a result. 9.76!!! Second fastest time ever over the distance. The 100 & 200m dashes should be outstanding at the Olympics. The USA had better keep a close eye on that little island in the sun!!! They mean business.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0u7YGSZxAOA[/quote]

Amazing! He was so fluid. Great start, great acceleration, good endurance. It looked like a picture perfect race to me. Let’s hope he doesn’t test positive for anything.

BTW, he’s in lane 4 (from the top of the screen) for those who are curious.

[quote]Kwalts wrote:
Jamaica has a long history of producing world class 100 sprinters. The names Linford Christie, Donovan Bailey, Don Quarrie, Asafa Powell, even shamed Ben Johnson. Now We have a new phenom, world record holder over 200m (junior record) at 19.93 done at 17 years of age. Standing 6 5’ the big man focused his talents on the 100m last night. What a result. 9.76!!! Second fastest time ever over the distance. The 100 & 200m dashes should be outstanding at the Olympics. The USA had better keep a close eye on that little island in the sun!!! They mean business.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0u7YGSZxAOA[/quote]

Donovan and Ben are Canadian and immigrated at ages 13 and 14 from Jamaica. Linford is British and immigrated at age 7.

I’m all for patriotism from I don’t see how Jamaica can take credit for their achievements if they never trained there.

If we take that your line of reasoning, maybe some countries in Africa should take credit since all Jamaicans are immigrants from there.

Dopamineloveaffa

My friend. Yes may be West Africa should get some credit. However, Bailey did do some High school in Jamaica, and did participate in Track & Field. Yes he did perform at the world class level in Canada. Don’t deny Jamaica the credit. There are more wolrd beaters to come!!! Its a known fact that the country ( Jamaica)produces the most world class sprinters per capita than any other country. Just a fact.

Is this a disguised debate about genetics?

If so, you might have a point…

Not at all. Just proud of the Jamaican tradition of world class sprinting. Not a comment on genetics, race, or being overly patriotic. Just plain old proud. We tend to get to defensive sometimes.

So the two fastest men in history are 6’3 and 6’5.

I guess that puts to bed the myth that people over 6 feet are at a disadvantage in the 100m.

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
So the two fastest men in history are 6’3 and 6’5.

I guess that puts to bed the myth that people over 6 feet are at a disadvantage in the 100m.[/quote]

Not necessarily, the height thing may indeed be true, it just makes Powell and Bolt all that much more impressive. Does anybody know the wind speed and elevation?

[quote]tedro wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:
So the two fastest men in history are 6’3 and 6’5.

I guess that puts to bed the myth that people over 6 feet are at a disadvantage in the 100m.

Not necessarily, the height thing may indeed be true, it just makes Powell and Bolt all that much more impressive. Does anybody know the wind speed and elevation?[/quote]

Yeah, I overstated it a bit.

I think the wind was 1.8ms (the limit is 2). Not sure about the elevation.

He looked like he eased up at the end. The WR might have gone down if he pushed through to the finish.

I think he actually has a legitimate shot at breaking the 200m record.