Jake's Training Log

I just want to make a training log so I can keep track of my workouts and my weights, and I might possibly monitor my eating some time in the future. I may post pictures and videos from my workouts once I get a tri-pod for my camera. I’m not starting a new program today or anything, but I figured now is as good as ever to start a new training log.

I’m training for maximum performance (i.e. strength, power, speed, endurance, etc.). I basically just want to perform better than everyone else. I hope one day to win the CrossFit Games, but in the near future, I hope to compete at the amateur level in the 2012 OC Throwdown if I can.

My stats as of today are:
Height: 5’10+1/2" Weight: 146#
Squat: 215# Bench: 170# Deadlift: 295# Clean: 185# Snatch: 135# Weighted Pull-Up: 65#
Consecutive Pull-Ups (Strict): 32

Today’s workout was:
Standing Military Press 4x5 for load. I got 85#, 95#, 105#, and 115#x3.
Push Press 5x3 for load. I got 85#, 105#, 125#, 135#, 145#, and 155#x1.
Push Jerk 5x1 for load. I got 135#, 145#, 155#, 155#, and 165#. I went for 155# twice to work on my form.

I felt good on my push jerks, but I didn’t want to go to 175# today because 165# was already a PR by 10#.

Today, my workout was:
Step 1: Find Max Box Jump. I got 47.5", though my max is 52". The Christmas binge must be weighing me down, or maybe I’m just having an off day. I attempted 51" and got my feet onto the platform, but i was not able to stick it.
Step 2: 11 Minute AMRAP of…
10 Deadlifts
10 Jumping Lunges (each leg)
I got 7 rounds + 5 deadlifts. For the deads I used 185# for the first 4 rounds and then switched to 155# for the remainder of the workout so as to really work on my form. Since it was a metabolic conditioning workout, the weight didn’t matter so much as the effort.

In any case, I’m hoping that my training will pick up within the week. I’m hoping that, once I start getting more sleep and eating less sugary foods, I’ll get back up to the level I was at before.

Today’s WOD:
10-1/1-10 Alternating Ladder of:
Ring Push-Ups
Toes-to-Bar
My time was somewhere around 6:30.

then…

5 attempts to find a max handstand hold against a wall (kills the shoulder and traps as well as finishing off the core). I got 1:28.

then…

Mobility work + work on Olympic lifts. It was not for max effort, just working on technique. I got in a nice 155# clean and jerk with decent form, then went for a 165# clean and jerk, got the clean up fairly easy with good form, but missed the jerk because my shoulders were fried. I know next time I should be able to get 175-185# when I’m fresh.

T.T videos won’t attatch.

165# c&j fail

hell yeah jake

Friday’s Workout:
CrossFit’s “Chief” Workout -
3 min AMRAP of…
3 Power Cleans @ 135#
6 Push-Ups
9 Squats
Rest 1 min then repeat for 5 rounds. I think I got 17 rounds + 3 power cleans, but I might’ve lost count. She was a tough workout, a real lung-burner.

I had a great workout today, despite feeling really ill (stomach ache, heartburn, headache). I think it may have been triggered by some bad guacomole I ate with lunch. Anyways, I performed some experimental movements as well as some basic functional movements, taking rest as needed so as to avoid throwing up. My workout looked like this:
Warm-Up: 800m run.

Working:
Rotating planks - 3 clockwise, 3 counterclockwise
Backward-Sliding Plank - 10x20yd
Plate Farmer’s Walks - (each hand) 15#x120yd, 25#x120yd, 25#(15# 10# plates)x120yd
Front-Loaded Plate Carries - 95# 4x20yd, 130# 2x20yd, 155# 2x20yd
Rotating planks - 3 clockwise, 3 counterclockwise

The workout lasted about a half-hour. The planks were performed in the push-up position (arms extended). All the plank work really hit the shoulders because of the added pressing. The rotating planks worked my obliques nicely because of the lateral support the movement requires. The plate farmer’s walks finished up my shoulder work, destroyed my forearms, and warmed up my back for the front-loaded plate carries, which pretty much sucked, difficulty-wise. It was easy until I reached 155#, but at that point it got really hard. Anyways, very good workout today despite feeling sick.

I’ve been pretty busy this week, so I haven’t had much time to post lately. I trained this week Monday-Thursday. I already posted Monday.

Tuesday: testing some of my lifts, abilities, etc. These included rowing, running, the deadlift, the military press, etc. This was not for maximal effort, just against an arbitrary standard which states that I am not a level 1 athlete at my gym. These qualifications were easy, but unfortunately, you cannot test for a higher level until you’ve completed each level beneath that. I should be a level 2 or 3 out of 4 possible levels.

Wednesday: I did a team workout with some of my training partners. It was structured like so:
One team member does 25 squats (pace-setter), during which time the other team members perform max push-ups, max burpees, or max KB swings (53#), respectively. After the first member completes the 25 squats, the team members rotate, switching to the next movement. We performed this circuit as many times as possible in a 13-minute period, which I believe amounted to 5 full rounds or some such number. This workout was for maximal effort, not any particular amount of reps.
After this, I did some squat technique work, performing plyometric box-squats. I did 10 sets of 10 reps.
After this, I did a few more things from the level 1 board.

Thursday: Warm-Up - 500m row, then 2 minutes max burpees. I got 1:42 (easy pace) and 40 burpees.
Main Workout: Max weight thruster. I set a 15# PR, with 150#. I really wanted to get 155#, but my shoulders were beat for the press.
Then, I worked on my muscle-up. I was able to perform them with strict form (no kipping) on gymnastics rings. I was even able to do them in the L-sit position, which is a new accomplishment for me. I was happy with my performance.

Today was a very bad day. I missed a deadlift PR by a significant amount for reasons which I can’t explain. That feeling when you miss a PR, especially by that much… depression. I have been really working on my form lately, and my strength has been going up, and I’ve been training hard and smart, so there’s no fucking reason I should’ve done so bad… If anyone can refer me to the best deadlifting program that I can throw in on top of my regular programming, preferably 1x/week, I would appreciate it.

Then, I did 10 rounds of:
15 Sit-Ups
Max Pistols (one-legged squats) - 1 leg/round

My score on the pistols was 91 pistols. The rounds went like: 5L, 6R, 11L, 7R, 11L, 7R, 12L, 10R, 12L, 10R.

All in all, I’m pissed about my performance today.

Today, to countervail the shame of Monday’s pathetic pull, I rearranged my training to accomodate another deadlifting session. Today, I easily pulled 40# heavier than Monday, which was all the weight I own at my garage gym. It felt easy, and I feel like I could do more. Then, I threw in a quick olympic lifting session in which I cleaned 185# (tied my PR for a full clean). That felt good to accomplish. Then I did some easy bench work, only going “heavy” for 3 sets of 5.

Today is Monday, and I haven’t posted since last Wednesday. Last week, I worked out Thursday and Friday and didn’t post. So…

Thursday:
I took on “Fran,” which is 21-15-9 of Thrusters @ 95# and Pull-Ups. I’m good at pull-ups, so I blew through those, but the thrusters killed me. My time was 7:51.

Friday:
150 Push-Ups for time. Every time I took a break, I had to run 400m. Unfortunately, as I was working out in the dark and my runs were performed in the street, I couldn’t see the bumps and potholes, etc., so I ended up twisting my ankle pretty bad mid-way through the workout. However, I still finished with a time of 19:46. My shoulders were fried from Fran, so my push-ups were performed in sets of fewer reps than they would have been were I fresh. I broke them up like so: 40, 20, 15, 15, 15, 15, 28, 2. I almost got the 30 at the end, but was unable to do so.

Today, I will be taking on “Fight Gone Bad,” which is 3 Rounds (with 1 minute at each station) of Wall Ball Shots (10’, 20#), Sumo Deadlift High Pulls (75#), Box Jumps (20"), Push Presses (75#), and Rows (for calories). This will be my first attempt at this workout. We’ll soon see how I perform.

Change of plans. A burglary scare a few houses away from my garage gym cut my workout time way short, as I had to deal with the police, concerned family, etc. As a result, I was only able to get in a quick few sets of bench presses and pull-ups. Not as planned, but better than nothing.

Yesterday’s workout was hell! Quite the metabolic conditioning workout!

20 Toes-to-Bar
1 mile Run
20 Toes-to-Bar
800m Run
20 Toes-to-Bar
400m Run
20 Toes-to-Bar
200m Run

My time was 18:01 (fastest time in my gym… aww yeayuh). I literally puked the second after I completed the workout. Luckily, I strategically positioned a trash can at the finish mark. Good times. But now, my CNS is really shot, and I’ve been feeling off all day. Great day to take a rest and to recover.

Today:

3 Rounds For Time:
50 Sit-Ups
20 KB Snatches Each Arm (44#)
15 Ring Dips

I got 17:58. It was a shoulder killer, and my core was already fried from Tuesday, so it was a good ab-finisher for the week.

Last Friday/Saturday were great training days.

Friday:
CrossFit’s “Christine”
3 Rounds for time -
500m Row
12 Deadlifts @ BW
24 Box Jumps @ 20"
My time: 12:49. I wasn’t really going max effort, just taking a day to do some work.

Then…
I went to a climbing gym and spent about an hour climbing. The minimal holds in addition to the large stretches between hold made for a great workout! It wrecked my forearms.
Then…
I went bowling as a nice finisher :slight_smile:

Saturday:
1st Workout
20 minutes of work! AMRAP
5 Parallelette Pass-Throughs
20 Side-Jumps over Parallelettes (10")
25 Double-Unders

2nd Workout
Bench Press 2x10@135#, 1x5@155#, 1x2@175, 1x1@185
50 Push-Ups
25 KB Swings @ 53#
25 KB Hammer Curls/Arm @ 35#
1000m Row
5x5 Pull-Ups+Toes-to-Bar

The 185# was a new PR, though it may sound pathetic. I was happy. I’m working on getting it up, and I want to hit 225# by the end of this school year. The additional exercises were assistance work for my chest and back.

Today (Tuesday):
Tabata Air-Squats (20s work 10s rest for 8 rounds)
then…
21-15-9
Squat Jumps
Push-Ups

I’ll shoot for a score of 18 on my Tabata Squats and some time around 5 minutes for the other part. I’ll post my results when I make my next post.

Tuesday: I got 18 on my Tabata Squats and I ended up doing pistols (one-legged squats) instead of squat jumps, then went to a trampoline gym, which was a ton of fun and definitely added to my leg workout.

Today:
3x10 Military Press. Weight: 75# for the first set, 95# for the second set, and 105# for the third set. The third set, I did only 5, though I had probably three more reps left in the tank, so that I could perform well for the rest of my workout.

Then…
7 min AMPRAP
100m Shuttle Run
5 Pull-Ups
I got 12 rounds + 1 run.

Friday, I did a fairly easy workout in order to relieve the stress of this past week. Finals are coming up! O.O

Today, I went down to the local lap pool and decided to do a little workout there, since I didn’t have much time to hit the gym around studying. I PRd in the 100yd Fly with a time of 1:02. I know it’s not good, but hey, it was my second time in the pool in a year-and-a-half.

Last week, I was busy Monday-Wednesday studying for finals. However, I worked out yesterday and, since I was going through withdrawls )not having worked out in three days), I wanted to do a lot! So:

Squats: Warm up and work up to a heavy 10. I maxed out at 185x11, which isn’t very good. However, it is about 130% of my bodyweight, so I’m satisfied… for now. Then, I wanted to go for a 1RM front squat. I got 185x1, which was a new PR by 10#. Then, I did some power clean work, and managed to pull 175# despite doing tons and tons of squats before. Then, I did weighted bar muscle-ups, working up to BW+20#, which was a PR since it was the first time I’d ever done weighted muscle ups. I probably could’ve gone heavier, but I was beat after a long week.

Today: For PE at school, we had to run a mile for time. I finished second at my school with a time of 6:54, though I was very sore from squats and wasn’t really trying. But then again, I don’t like distance running.

Today, I took a page out of Arnold’s book. I figured, since I’d only be able to work out twice this week, I’d do an upper/lower body split. I worked legs Thurday, so today, I did Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Chest/Back routine, which is as follows:

-Bench presses 3x â?? 6
supersetted with:
-Wide-grip Pull-ups 3x 8-12
then…
-Incline barbell presses 5x 10-15
supersetted with:
-T-bar rows 5x 10-15
then…
-Flat-bench dumbbell flyes 5x 10-15
supersetted with:
-Wide-grip barbell rows 5x 10-15 (performed standing on a block for better range of motion)
then…
-Dips 5x 15
supersetted with:
-Stiff-arm pullovers 5x 15-20
Then I performed 30s static holds in the bottom of a fly position with moderate weight DBs and in a dead hang position on the pull-up bar.

The pump was magnificent :slight_smile: