Jail Too Nasty for Dealer

Just read this article today. I wonder if this means triple credit for pre-trial custody will become the new norm…

August 24, 2005

Calgary (CP) - An Alberta judge has given a convicted heroin trafficker a break because he says the time he spent in jail was too harsh.

Court of Queen’s bench Justice Peter McIntire says 27-year-old Nicholas Cypui Chan was repeatedly denied a vegetarian meal.

He also says guards applied force to Chan during strip-searches, and forced him to wear paper clothing known as a “baby doll.” Chan had also complained he only had access to three board games in jail, and that he was denied requests for other amusements.

The convict also said his hardship included being deprived of physical contact with his family, who can only speak to him through a glass partition.

McIntire gave Chan triple credit for time spent in remand as opposed to the usual double time he’s spent in jail since his arrest in June 2003. It means Chan has less than a year left to serve on a 7 1/2 year prison sentence.

Chan was convicted in July 2004 of selling 56 grams of heroin to an under-cover police officer, as well as possessing the cash from the sale.

“The reason for giving enhanced credit is the exceptionally hard time that Chan experienced,” McIntyre said in his recent ruling. McIntyre said remand officials also sent Chan on what they knew would be a long and difficult trip to Peace River after he had requested a second medical opinion.

Shit. When I was posting in the privitization thread, I remember you talking about the criminal justice system in Canada. I think most murderers spend around 5 years in jail? I guess comparing American crime rates and incarceration rates to some extent, with Canadian and European ones doesn’t hold much weight.

For lesser crimes does the judge do the time for them?

Oh Canada…ha ha (liberalism is a heck of a thing)

you are right Zeb. he should be assissinated. . . the cost of jailing a man is too high. he he (conservatives are a predictable thing)

A vegetarian drug dealer who misses his family and plays board games.

Fuck, even our criminals are pussies.

Selling heroin is a non crime. He should never have been in jail at all. The under cover cop is the real criminal!

[quote]pookie wrote:
A vegetarian drug dealer who misses his family and plays board games.

Fuck, even our criminals are pussies.[/quote]

Lol, you’re so right on this one. But that Mcintyre guy proves that judges aren’t far behind.

He’s so soft-hearted it’s ridiculous. He sould quit judgig criminals and take up knitting or talk-show hosting. I think Oprah needs a new lap dog. He would fit the bill nicely.

[quote]jodgey wrote:
you are right Zeb. he should be assissinated. . . the cost of jailing a man is too high. he he (conservatives are a predictable thing)[/quote]

Are you alright? I never mentioned such a thing…

Do they have comment cards you fill out when you leave. “Terrible housekeeping service. You’ve just lost my business.”

Like a motel 6…we’ll leave the light on for ya down here in TX

What is really bad about this story, is that it happened in Alberta, the one place where sanity usually prevails. I could see this happening in BC, Ont, Que, or the Maritimes, but Alberta. Where am I going to move??

Tyler

[quote]Pretzel Logic wrote:
Do they have comment cards you fill out when you leave. “Terrible housekeeping service. You’ve just lost my business.”[/quote]

You can simply ask your butler to fill it out for you. “Jeeves, this place is so very blah. Do be severely critical on their evaluation.”

Hey i guess this means canadia doenst really care about growing your own drugs. If i was a canuk i would be growing a forest of weed in my basement. y’all canadians have basements up there eh?

btw your french canadian chicks are hot

[quote]thabigdon24 wrote:
Hey i guess this means canadia doenst really care about growing your own drugs. If i was a canuk i would be growing a forest of weed in my basement. y’all canadians have basements up there eh?

btw your french canadian chicks are hot[/quote]

I don’t know about Alberta, but from the number of news report we see on TV about marijuana plantations being destroyed by cops, I’d say the weed industry is doing just fine in Quebec.

Good weed, hot chicks, what more do you need?