T Nation

Jacob's 2 Week V-Diet

Alright, alright, I’m doing the stupid Velocity Diet already. I just bit the bullet and bought 2 weeks worth of stuff. Should arrive tomorrow, so I’ll start on Wednesday. After 12 days, I’ll decide if I want to go for 4 weeks (I’m using the Dan John method here - he suggested thinking “I can quit tomorrow,” so I’m also thinking “I can quit after 2 weeks.” I should note that I’m a CrossFitter, not a bodybuilder or powerlifter.

Current bodyweight is around 190.

Goals:
Lose 10-12#
Maintain Strength (Deadlifted 405# during CrossFit Total on Saturday)
Stay strict
Stay with WOD

I think many people would suggest that I switch to a less metcon heavy program for the duration of the diet, but I honestly don’t think I’m in danger of losing muscle if I stick with the WOD and skill work.

Wish me luck!

Pic2

Pic3

Bodyweight: 193

My first shake actually filled me up surprisingly well. I had vanilla with milled flax seed. I’m also taking a multivitamin and HOT-ROX Extreme. I should probably pick up some salmon oil as well.

Tonight’s workout will be “Kelly” - 5 rounds for time: Run 400m, 30 box jumps (24",) 30 wall ball (20#). That’s a rough way to start training during this diet, but I think I’ll be alright. Got some Root Beer Float flavored Surge to slam afterwards.

“Kelly” as rx’d: 34:09. This is one of those workouts that reminds you that you can survive anything. Energy was fine, the workout sucked but that’s partially because I suck at running and box jumps.

I don’t think I can stomach my Surge or my last shake right now - problem is, I get up at 0500 and have to be at work at 0600, which means I have to get to bed early.

I want a protein shake that tastes like water.

Weight this morning: 190. I’m guessing at least 2# is just water weight loss.

Deadlifts tonight. My PR is 405#. I think I’ve got the strength for maybe 410-415#, but I’ve got really bad tears on both hands from running clock pullups on Sunday (1 pullup on first minute, 2 pullups on second minute, 3 on 3rd minute, etc, until you can’t keep up with the clock anymore.) We’ll see how it goes.

Not starving yet, but I’m guessing it’ll hit soon enough.

AM training: Hour or so of muay Thai drilling and sparring.

PM Training: WOD (Deadlift 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps)
315-335-355-375-395-410(PR, with a little help from the hitch fairy.)

Called it a day after the PR.

Bodyweight today: 188.6

I’ve found that the hardest thing for me hasn’t been hunger. In fact, I haven’t been hungry at all - I have trouble finishing my shakes. The trouble is, I can’t handle all the sweetness. I think that’s what causes the “weird” cravings (I was craving pepperoni all day yesterday.) I want something savory - roast chicken flavored protein shakes, perhaps? Haha. I got some sunflower seeds, not to eat, just to suck on.

When I woke up today my heartrate was very high and I felt warm. I think it’s the HOT-ROX, so I’ve laid off of those.

I get a solid meal tonight (I’ve decided to have a solid meal every off day, i.e. every 4th day, since I’m doing more intense metcon than the V-Diet usually calls for.)

Bro… you’re doing what most people that are V-Diet veterans (including myself)hate to see and that is that you’re monkeying with the diet and not staying true to how it was designed. I mean it’s cool and all that you’re losing weight and making progress but let’s not call it the V-Diet. I mean, running… and eating a solid meal every off day? That’s not even remotely close to the V-Diet.

Good luck on your quest to lose some of that fat.

I’d have to agree with Hog. Good luck with your goal and hope everything works out for the best.

Thanks for the input guys.

Didn’t Shugart write in one of his articles that it could be monkeyed with? I seem to remember distinctly something along the lines of him saying you could have one solid meal a day if it was healthy and it would still work, etc. Also, my off day is every 4th day, so I’m basically eating 1.5 solid meals a week instead of 1. Hardly a huge difference, I’d say.

Also, the conditioning work I’m doing is metabolically very similar to Cosgrove’s After Burn program, which you may remember Dan John did during his V-Diet (barbell complexes and stuff.) I’m not running long distances - I’m running short intervals combined with plyometrics, gymnastics, weightlifting, etc. You may notice that my workout yesterday was heavy deadlifts.

Again, I appreciate the input, but I’m willing to bet that the creator of the V-Diet wouldn’t see any serious issues with the way I’m doing it. Are there any specific reasons you think my method is substandard, or is it just that I’m not doing it “as intended” from your point of view?

Thanks!

[quote]Tsypkin wrote:
Thanks for the input guys.

Didn’t Shugart write in one of his articles that it could be monkeyed with? I seem to remember distinctly something along the lines of him saying you could have one solid meal a day if it was healthy and it would still work, etc. Also, my off day is every 4th day, so I’m basically eating 1.5 solid meals a week instead of 1. Hardly a huge difference, I’d say.

Also, the conditioning work I’m doing is metabolically very similar to Cosgrove’s After Burn program, which you may remember Dan John did during his V-Diet (barbell complexes and stuff.) I’m not running long distances - I’m running short intervals combined with plyometrics, gymnastics, weightlifting, etc. You may notice that my workout yesterday was heavy deadlifts.

Again, I appreciate the input, but I’m willing to bet that the creator of the V-Diet wouldn’t see any serious issues with the way I’m doing it. Are there any specific reasons you think my method is substandard, or is it just that I’m doing doing it “as intended” from your point of view?

Thanks![/quote]

As long as your getting results I say roll with it but if at the end of your time you’re not pleased with your result don’t blame the V-Diet because you’re not exactly doing it as prescribed. Yea, it seems like Shugs had something called the V-Diet lite that was something like 1 solid meal a day or something like that… but I don’t remember.

I mean to be honest, based on your before pictures, I’d say you would benefit from a full 4 week strict V-Diet plan. I think by only committing to two weeks of the diet you’re setting yourself up to quit because trust me, you’ll want to quite after 2 weeks. Of course I did the strict V-Diet of only 1 solid meal a week so my plan was different than what you’re doing.

Anyway, like I said, if you’re getting the results desired than rock on with it… I just kinda wish you hadn’t called it the V-Diet because technically it’s really not.

Good luck

[quote]Tsypkin wrote:
Bodyweight today: 188.6

I’ve found that the hardest thing for me hasn’t been hunger. In fact, I haven’t been hungry at all - I have trouble finishing my shakes. The trouble is, I can’t handle all the sweetness. [/quote]

The sweetness will subside and will even out. I struggled with the sweetness at first too but it’ll get better over time. I remember the first time I tried Surge. I freakin’ hated it but I stickin’ love that stuff now. Give your pallette time to adjust.

Yeah, I know not to blame the diet if it doesn’t work. To be honest, even if I did the full 4 weeks, totally strict, I couldn’t blame it if it didn’t work; we KNOW it works, so if it doesn’t work for me, it’s something wrong in my programming. But so far it seems to be working fine.

Also, remember, I’m not a bodybuilder or powerlifter, so I’m concerned with getting my performance numbers up; it’s just that my bodyfat is a limiting factor there.

Thanks for the advice about the sweetness. Sucking on sunflower seeds seems to have helped a bit.

Why are you doing this? Why not just diet? The 28days of shakes are supposed to inspire discipline and behavior modification, along with changing your perception of food. These are some of the most important aspects of the diet. I pretty much agree with what the others here have said.

Your comment about not being a bodybuilder or powerlifter has nothing to do with anything - the V-Diet is for anyone who wants to shed large amounts of bodyfat quickly, while at the same time reprogrammming their perspective on food.

I just don’t see the point of half-assing this when you’re losing out on the major psychological benefits of the program.