T Nation

Jacked Up Lumberjack Squat

Wuz Up fellow T-memberz,

I have been incorporating LUMBERJACK SQUATS into my training sessions.  I utilize them because I injured my Lower Back in the past, and this exercise has a Great!!   Deloading effect on the spine.

My lower back has gotten stronger and I am now loading up a decent amount of weight. This is a great sign of progress, but it has caused a�?�

PROBLEM: My Grip gives out before my Thighs do

-I�??ve tried wearing gloves. This kind of helps because my hands get so DAMN SWETTY!! But it does not fully solve the problem

-I�??ve thought about using a V-Grip: This would incorporate the Upper Back into assisting my hands in supporting the load.

***I�??ve noticed the BB digs into my chest and bruises it. Not worried about this though, because it�??s a good way to include HARD BODY training!!

***This is a great BANG-4-UR-BUCK exercise!!

?? Any suggestions on how to support the load ??

I�??ve included a Pic to help illustrate the exercise and help people visualize some ideas:

Are you supporting the bar in the crook between your thumb and forefinger, resting it on your palms, or a little bit of both?

It looks like you are doing about the only thing that can be done without creating some sort of padded harness.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Chalk. and more chalk.

Side question...what sort of weight do you guys use compared to a regular squat? I've only tried this exercise once and found that just getting it into position was much harder than the actual squat itself.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Is it any easier on the lower back than front squats?

Yah it's easier on your lower back than front squats. I utilize both though