'Jacked' Compliments

When women start hugging you with their legs, you have arrived! Even if they only hook one around the hamstring.

After a few months of training, I met my sister at a family party and she said to me: “You look a lot like my brother, only much bigger”.

Of course she was being kind but still noticed the extra 40lbs I had gained!

[quote]
My son, he’s 5’10 and 130 pounds. And he’s the heaviest guy on the team. Me, I’m 5’10"ish and 205. So, I take their compliment with a grain of salt. [/quote]

I was 5’10" and 130 at the end of XC junior year. Now 5 years (including 4 in the Corps where we ran a lot) I’m 5’10" and 180 and growing. There’s hope for him…

Other than comments on my physiqe from teachers and shit, I had a guy at GNC tell me I should work there because my neck is big and people would actually listen to me. And last week at a bar some drunk older dudes were pretty much hittin on me and telling the girls I had with me that I have “the mumps” or some shit…yeah, that was awkward.

DD

I’ve had guys tell me my arms look ‘jacked’

Another one at the gym said, “don’t take this the wrong way but you look really good”

And my favorite is a friend of mine (a woman) telling me I would not want to get ‘bigger’ because I don’t want to start looking like a guy!

[quote]danmaftei wrote:
First, I walk in to get a haircut, and my hairdresser (I don’t know what else to call him)
[/quote]

How about BARBER? LOL.

I’m a 5’6" 130 pound woman, and I had a big (fat) guy say to me, “Damn! You’re arms are bigger than mine!” I said, “Dude, no they’re not!” He said “Yeah, but yours are solid muscle!” Oh yeah baby!

[quote]FruitFaceFlyHead wrote:
I’m a 5’6" 130 pound woman, and I had a big (fat) guy say to me, “Damn! You’re arms are bigger than mine!” I said, “Dude, no they’re not!” He said “Yeah, but yours are solid muscle!” Oh yeah baby![/quote]

You are bigger than some of the guys on these boards asking for advice on cutting and “toning”…

Ahhh the steroid comment. While I havent ever received it, it does appear to be a big point of controversy on this board as to whether or not it is a compliment.

I think the general public doesn’t understand what its like to bust ass in the gym 3 - 5 times a week, do cardio equally as often, eat like an F’n horse AND track all of that in a journal. Once they do that for 5 years they will know who is on and not on steroids.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Ahhh the steroid comment. While I havent ever received it, it does appear to be a big point of controversy on this board as to whether or not it is a compliment.

I think the general public doesn’t understand what its like to bust ass in the gym 3 - 5 times a week, do cardio equally as often, eat like an F’n horse AND track all of that in a journal. Once they do that for 5 years they will know who is on and not on steroids.[/quote]

The steroid comment seems to be a popular excuse for some people’s progress or better the lack thereof. Every person with a superior physique must be juiced to the gills.

As a hard gainer for the majority of my life except for the past 5 years, it’s hard to comprehend your own personal size or growth. I started training effectively about 5 years ago utilising periodisation and olympic lifts and have put on about 37 pounds in that time to be currently 225lbs/6’2".

It’s only recently that I’ve become aware that I’m a lot bigger than I realise. This has been pointed out to me from group photos whereby people have said that they look small compared to me.

And of course there are the usual hints or innuendos about steroid use, but I’m proud to say that if I did take steroids I’d be a lot bigger.

there’s the steroid thing so much that sometimes i just go along with it for heck of it:)…

but a few of the better ones are…

a girl that my brother knows whose husband’s progress is not going as well as he would want asking him if i was “taking” anything, and him saying “nothing exept the normal stuff that anyone can take”…

…finishing my set and looking up to find this big ol’ guy looking right at me from the other side of the gym…than at second glanze realising it was me in the mirror…

…at a party with some co-workers having my female supervisor coming up to me and saying, “you know what, you should be in a catalog or something”

…it’s definitly not the reason why i do this, but always nice…and if u ever need a boost in confidence just go to wal-mart wearing a tank top and watch the heads turn:)

If I had a nickle for every steroid comment, I’d be a millionaire. But I get asked if I’m a bouncer, a wrestler, a powerlifter, and my favorite, a hitman,LOL. And of course everyone wants to know my secret, like I have one.

I’ve had a lot of nice comments about my physique since I started lifting, but one stands out most fondly in my memory. I was about 19, and had just finished up a really tough workout. I was walking down the street from the gym, still pretty pumped and wearing jeans and a T-shirt, when these two really fine chicks come driving by in a red convertible. When they reach me they slow down, and one says, really loudly, “would you look at that body!!” Then off they go. I was feeling pretty good for quite a while after that, though I wished they had stuck around long enough for me to have gotten a better look at theirs.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
bosox4L wrote
did you mean 3 sets of 10? I am just asking… I have never heard of someone doing 10 sets of 3 for incline dumbell press.

You need to read more Waterbury …

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=534922

[/quote]

I have read some of his stuff, ABBH1, ABBH2, and the Waterbury method. I plan on following the Waterbury method next month. I just didn’t know it would work for incline dumbell press but hey you learn something new everyday.

A girl at work a few wks ago asked me if I went to the ‘gym or anything’ because I looked ‘I had a bit of muscle’.

It made me feel good. Back in high school I was called stretch or lanky. This is much better.

Last Sunday the preacher was demonstrating how the church is a body. He had seomone be the brains, someone the hands and he asked me to stand up and said I was the muscles.

I go to Texas A&M so when I go home and train at my old gym people haven’t seen me I about 4 months. So the steroid question comes up a little. People think just because they haven’t seen you in a while and you come back bigger and stronger since the last time they saw you you must be on gear. I take it as a compliment.

This one has got to be my favorite thing people ask me. When I tell people that I have just been at school but still training hard they ask me where I go. So I tell them Texas A&M and they ask if I am gonna walk on the football team. I tell ya if that doesn’t pump you up they nothing will.

I get the steroid comments non-stop, and although they are half-joking it never fails to make my day. I went from a skinny 5’7 135 to 5’8 165 in about a year, and when I had an energy drink called Bacchus-F with me for wrestling the school idiot was seriously convinced it was actually steroids and galavanted around telling everyone I had my roids.

I often get asked advice from skinny bastards (some under 100 lbs) asking me how to gain muscle. When I tell them they have to stop working their ‘biceps and triceps’ everyday with high-rep curls and extensions and tell them to start doing heavy chins, squats, deadlifts, dips, etc. they start telling me heavy stuff is for show-offs. It’s funny to note that if I’m wearing a smaller shirt I get comments about looking jacked, but if I’m wearing a larger shirt people guess my weight at 140.

[quote]bosox4L wrote:
did you mean 3 sets of 10? I am just asking… I have never heard of someone doing 10 sets of 3 for incline dumbell press.
[/quote]
You’re new here, aren’t you?

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
What comments about looking muscular has everybody here gotten (with your shirt on)?
[/quote]
Not exactly a comment, but when my ex wife asked if she could touch my chest. Of course, I had just finished up 3 sets of pushups to exhaustion - so I was looking bigger than normal - but it was still a proud moment.