T Nation

Jacked 31- Phase 3 Questions

Hi CT,
Just got a few questions on the Power Day on Friday.

1. On Loaded Split Squat Jumps, for the first week it recommends 4 x 5. Is that 5 reps per leg? How should this be executed?

2. For the Medicine Ball Push Press, what can I substitute this with?

Just a couple extra Questions for future program structure reference:

1. Following the same 3-1 structure, for the main lifts within a phase, could you use this variation for the lifts:
    Week 1: 6,6,4,4
    Week 2: Poliquin Clusters
    Week 3: 3RM
    Week 4: Hypertrophy

Or is it best to stick to the similar style of training per phase?

1. In your article ‘Biggest Training Lie’ about keeping the same big lift instead of constantly changing. In terms of the Bench Press and different variations to change conditions, like using chains, would using 1, 2, 3 board presses be acceptable in terms of different variation while still utilising the Bench Press movement?

Would the Push Press be an acceptable variation for the Military Press?

Thanks for the help, Jacked 31 has been awesome so far, really enjoying it,

MP

Yes it’s per leg. Do your reps for the non-dominant leg first. Rest 30-45 sec then do the dominant leg.

Kinda hard to have a equivalent… you could go with very light, explosive military presses (around 50% of max)

I would put the 3RM before clusters

Thanks for the response.

Just finally,

1. In your article ‘Biggest Training Lie’ about keeping the same big lift instead of constantly changing.

In terms of the Bench Press and different variations to change conditions, like using chains, would implementing for instance
    a) 1, 2, 3 Board Presses
    b) Changing Angle of Bench
    c) Change of Grip Widths

Be acceptable in terms of different ‘smart’ variation while still utilising the Bench Press movement?

Like wise, would the Push Press be an acceptable variation for the Military Press and Zercher or Front Squats for the Back Squat?

Thanks again, appreciate the help,
MP

The board press would qualify as the movement dynamics are the same.

Changing the angle of the bench would not work as an incline bench and a flat bench are two different lifts with different recruitment patterns.

Changing the grip width is better than changing the bench angle. But don’t go to extremes.

No the push press is a completely different lift than the military press.

Front, Back and Zercher squats are also completely different lifts (see today’s squat variation article).

Fantastic I’ll stick to the big basics & also read up on the squat variation article.

Just finally, I completed your Thibarmy Strength & Size program a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, but that for instance did change the main movement each phase, for example:
Phase 1: Zercher Squat
Phase 2: Front Squat
Phase 3: Back Squat

What was the idea behind this compared to sticking with the key stone lifts during a program/year?

Thanks again for the help,
MP