T Nation

J4GGA2's Knee Rehab

Cheers man, it felt really easy tbh, although I did get decently puffed. I think I underestimated my numbers a lot… Oh well

Sets of 15 suck…

1 Like

Wednesday 14th August
Hypertrophy Block: Day 6

Warm-Up:

• Rusin Shoulder Warm-Up

Mobility:

• Pec Stretch
  • Tricep Stretch

Stability:

• 6kg x 5 KB Windmills
  • 10kg x 5 Bottom’s Under SA KB Press

Incline Barbell Press / Arm’s-Only Incline Y Raises:

• 20 x 10 / 20
  • 30 x 6 / 20
  • 40 x 3 x 12 / 3 x 20

DB Bench Press / Prone Cobras

• 20’s x 3 x 15 / 3 x 20

SA Landmine Press / Cable Rows / Plate Row Isometric

• 25 x 4 x 20 / 43 x 4 x 12 / 10kg x 4 x 30s

Filthy back pump

Full-Range Plate Raise / V-Bar Pushdowns

• 5kg x 15 / 16 x 12
  • 5kg x 15 / 20 x 2 x 12
  • 10kg x 10 / 16 x 13

Fat tricep pump

Finished with some deep goblet squat holds and deep goblet Cossack squat holds

Got some thick blisters on my feet today so had to change plans for lower body day

Thursday 15th of August
Hypertrophy Block: Day 7

A fuck ton of stretching since I had the opportunity

Copenhagen Planks / Ab Wheels

• 5 x 20s per side / 5 x 10

Hamstring Curls / Reverse Hyper on Seal Row Bench

• 35 x 10 x 20 / Bodyweight x 10 x 10

Decent pump went home. Hope these blisters fade by Monday

@JMaier31 @FlatsFarmer

I’m hoping one of you guys might help me with a nerd question.

I see a bunch of S&C guys talking about improving hip internal rotation to improve squat ROM. Biomechanically, I can’t figure out why, since squatting typically puts this femur in an abducted/Externally-Rotated position. Any ideas?

That’s a new one to me. I think more coaches should analyze their athlete’s anatomy wknd determine their squat form from that.

1 Like

Nerd Time. Tensegrity! Tension + Integrity. Your bones are floating in space, supported by your muscles. In 3 dimensions. Joints have muscles in the front and back. Flexors work “against” extensors. Internal rotators resist extenal rotators to keep joints stable. Everything must be balanced to work properly.

You need the adduction/internal rotation “balance” or “counter act” the external rotation and abduction so you can stay Tight. You need some crotch tightness to fight the knee spread action.

Too much Knees Out can put you in a spot where your adductor muscles are too stretched/lengthened to work correctly. So the knees pull out more. This can mess up glute action, putting too much stress on glute med, periformis, and lower back. It can make the lower back excessively Arch and the butt stick out and take tension off the lower abs. The pelvis can tip/tilt.

This can cause all kinds of issues. Like in the short term you can’t hit depth in the squat. Or medium term your hip flexors are always sore and tight because they’re trying to do the job of your adductors and your abs. Long term you can develop lengthened, inactive hamstrings and glutes and Anterior Pelvic Tilt. Years of tightness on the “front and top” of the hip joint with looseness on the “back and bottom” of the hip joint can cause your femur to migrate to the front/top of the hip socket and cause impingement, and problems with the cartilage in there.

You can fight this with some reverse clamshells and adductor roll backs.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree 100%

Oohh okay that makes a lot of sense. Would you say also that stretching the external Rotators could help prevent the femoral head from drifting medially and posteriorly relative to the hip socket?

Sure, stretching can be cool, whatever it takes to keep things loose and working smoothly.

Rolling around on some kind of ball or roller can be good too. The muscles around the hip are strong, short and dense. Sometimes it’s easier to mash them than stretch them.

1 Like

To piggy back on @FlatsFarmer’s great post, there’s a ratio between abduction and adduction that is “ideal”. You obviously don’t want to ignore one or the other.

2 Likes

Yes, an ideal ratio!

You can see a lack of internal hip rotation/adduction when people squat with Excessively flared or turned out toes. Instead of generating tension by tightening the muscles they use an Extreme stance to lengthen the muscle and that stretching “feels” like tightness.

2 Likes

This is what I didn’t understand reading up online. Just to try and put it in my own words, the idea is that someone with limited internal rotation and adduction strength lacks the ability to create muscular tension/stability through the hip joint. Instead, they flare the toes out as far as possible, moving into extreme external rotation to stretch the internal Rotators taught and maximally contract the external Rotators.

2 Likes

That’s how I understand it or think about it. Here’s some guys that agree with us.

Here’s a quick video that shows lack of internal rotation causing the toes to flare. Plus a stretch for the external rotators.

Longer video, this one shows the toes turning out and the back over extending to make up for hip internal rotation. Plus some lacrosse ball release on the tfl.

And if you need more, here’s the first guy again. He gives other reasons (foot and ankle) for flared toes. It can’t Always be lack of internal hip rotation. Video also has rolling and stretching plus shows band “distractions” to “open” joints or clear impingement.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the videos, I’ll have a look :slight_smile:

1 Like

@FlatsFarmer thanks a ton, those were really helpful.

1 Like

No problem guys! I’m a toe-turner myself, hopefully I can line up better too.

1 Like

@isdatnutty thinking of doing this post comp for the adherence challenge. Nutty inspired!

Workout A

Rusin Shoulder Warm-Up

1A. Squat Variation: 4 x 6-8
1B. Loaded Push-Up Variation: 4 x 8-10
1C. Heavy Bilateral Row: 4 x 4-6
1D. Unilateral/Offset Carry: 4 sets

5-10 minutes Conditioning

Workout B

Rusin Shoulder Warm-Up

1A. Hinge Variation: 4 x 4-6
1B. Vertical Press: 4 x 6-8
1C. Unilateral Row: 4 x 8-10
1D. Lightish Front-Loaded Carries: 4 sets

Workout C

Rusin Shoulder Warm-Up

1A. Lunge Variation: 4 x 8-10
1B. Horizontal Press Variation: 4 x 4-6
1C. Vertical Pull Variation: 4 x 6-8
1D. Heavy Bilateral Carries: 4 sets

USE STRAIGHT SETS AND FOCUS ON DOUBLE PROGRESSION; SWITCH EXERCISES EVERY SIX WEEKS

Basically it’s just a giant set that goes lower/push/pull/carry. Every day has one unilateral exercise and lifts rotate through heavy (4 x 4-6), medium (4 x 6-8) and medium-er (4 x 8-10). Carries rotate low CNS, mid CNS and high CNS stressor

2 Likes

Awesome man! Let me know how it goes! You could even switch the rep ranges after 6 weeks if you feel like it!

1 Like

This didn’t even occur to me :joy:. Great idea!

Haven’t checked up on this in a minute, how is the prep going brother? How many weeks out are you now??

1 Like