J4GGA2's Log: Becoming More Athletic

Oi, don’t get snarky cobber

Maaaate

1 Like

Didn’t end up able to get a Friday workout in. New plan is just to get some calisthenics in Saturday morning before we leave for thr airport (6am). Hopefully, all goes okay

Saturday 1st of December
Bedroom workout

20 minute EMOM:

• Odd minutes: 5 chin-ups, then plank to next minute
  • Even minutes: 10 push-ups, then wall-sit to next minute

Solid. Tad easier on the conditioning than I hoped, but the push-ups and chins certainly became hard towards the end.

1 Like

Saturday 1st of December (PM)
Conditioning

Found a park and did ol’ faithful

16x100m (100m walk as rest) in about 40 minutes.

Running feels weird and awkward. Perhaps it’s because it’s been a while since I ran? Go figure.

Also @kleinhound Adelaide is great but the daylight savings are throwing me off :joy:. At no time is it ever okay for there to be bright daylight at 8:30pm

1 Like

It gets dark at 4:30 over here. It’s depressing

1 Like

Yeesh :grimacing:. Back in Brisbane sunset is never early than around 6:00.

How cold is your city/town right now?

1 Like

Sunday 2nd of December
Conditioning

Warm-Up:

• Agga’s 8, minus glute SMR and hip stretch

6x100m
3x200m
1x400m (had to break into 250+50+100)

Wow I’m genuinely ashamed that I couldn’t finish that last 400m. Definitely keen to hop back on to WSSB and keep pushing conditioning.

Also @duketheslaya @liftangryordie500 @mortdk and I guess whoever else is reading this, on Monday I’m gonna get my last chance of a solid gym workout before my holiday, and I want to do something challenge-y. Any ideas?

Dan John has a “100 singles” workout (literally 100x1) in one of his books that could be… fun. I wouldn’t mind doing his 60 deadlift singles in 30 minutes either, but I’d have to use 100kg/225 instead of 140kg/315

The other option I’m considering is something GVT, like 10x10 squats and then 10x10 bench / rows

EDIT: I’m liking the idea of setting a stopwatch and squatting a single at 60kg every 20 seconds for 100 reps (33 minutes, 20 seconds)

1 Like

It’s around 0 degrees Celsius on an average day. Maybe in the negatives in the early morning (when I get up and train!). You fucking pampered Aussies. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Gross. Brisbane doesn’t get any colder than 5 or 6 degrees :grin:

1 Like

@liftangryordie500

Can’t decide. When I get back should I the BBB challenge (bog standard) or:

100-200 FACE PULLS/BPU’s PER SESSION

Mon: SQUAT

Squat: 531

Deadlift: 5x5 FSL
Abs

Good Mornings: 3-5x10-12
Lunges: 3-5x10-20

Carries: 2-4 Heavy Sets

Tues: BENCH

Bench: 531

Press: 5x5 FSL
Chins

Low-Incline DB Bench: 3-5x10-20
Chest Supported Row: 3-5x10-20

Triceps: 3x10-20
Curls: 3x10-20

Wed: CONDITIONING

Thurs: DEADLIFT

Deadlift: 531

Squat: 5x5 FSL
Obliques

Barbell Rows: 3-5x10-12
GHR’s: 3-5x10-20

Carries: 1-2 long sets

Fri: PRESS

Press: 531

Bench: 5x5 FSL
Rows

High-Incline DB Press: 3-5x10-20
LPD’s: 3-5x10-20

Triceps: 3x10-20
Shrugs: 3x10-20

Sat: CONDITIONING

Take a look at BBB Beefcake looks good.

For something to do on your last day at the gym.
If you have access to 2 bars and a bench press.
Try this circuit.
BP 70 kg - box jump - pull up - KB one arm press 12 kg - KB upright row 20 kg - DL 80 kg - dip - hanging leg raise or toes to bar.
first round 21 reps of each, second 18, 15, 12, 9, 6, 3
I call it man of steel, haven’t done it in ages.
I have to split almost everything up, you can always a bit more or less on the weights.
First time i did it in 55 minutes best time around 42, one of my buddies his now in the special forces did it in 32 minutes or there about.
I didn’t invent it, the dude that did obvious didn’t squat, so trap bar DL would be a good substitute and adjust the weight on the exercises if you think it’s to light or heavy.

1 Like

@j4gga2 Do rich piana’s 8 hour arm workout :joy:

2 Likes

If I had 8 hours I reckon I would :joy:

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing: I’m not sure I’d be able to set that up. I reckon I’m gonna try doing

Squat: 10x10
LPD: 10x10

Bench: 10x10
Cable Row: 10x10

400 reps should be enough volume

1 Like

You gonna superset?
that looks like a good setup for a fun day in the gym

1 Like

I’d say that you don’t need anywhere near that level of complexity to progress — so why waste it? If you’re really focusing on running this program for a long time, why utilize FSL sets NOW rather than LATER, when you’re stronger and need more volume to progress? My opinion is that you should simply do your PR sets, hit 2 assistance exercises, and get out!

That’s a great point. I think I’d prefer to do that anyways. Cheers for the help mate :+1:

1 Like

No problem mate. Focus on the big stuff.

1 Like

Monday 3rd of December
Challenge Workout

TL:DR this was exactly what I was looking for, but it needs one modification for next time

Warm-Up:

• 100 Skips
  • Agga’s 8

EMOM

Squat (odd minutes) / LPD (even minutes):

• 60x2x10 / 45x2x10
  • 50x4x10 / 45x4x10
  • 40x4x10 / 40x4x10

Completely underestimated how hard the squats would be, and had to drop the weight twice for form issues

EMOM

Bench (odd minutes) / cable rows (even minutes)

• 35x10x10 / 35x10x10

Went too light on these. I regret doing squats first. My legs are/were so toast that walking between exercises sucked, and even holding myself in position for the cable rows (knees extended, soft lockout) was a major struggle.

Next time, I’ll do swap the order of the supersets

3 Likes