J4GGA2's Log: Becoming More Athletic

i guess I’m yet to find what supplementals drive my main lifts, but I’m looking forward to experimenting. Did you box squat Westside style (ie very wide-stance)?

Nah, just as wide as I normally squat. When I go wide as possibly it fucks my hips up too much after a while

1 Like

Thursday 8th of November
WSSB: Max-Effort Lower

One week until Valedictory dinner. 9 days until graduation. Your boy was awarded general proficiency, I got into the top 5% of students in my cohort.

Warm-Up:

• Ankle Mobilisation
  • Limber 11
  • A1: 2x20 TKE’s
  • A2: 2x3 SVJ’s

Olympic Squat / 15-20 Band Pull-Aparts

• 20x some
  • 40x some
  • 55x5
  • 70x5
  • 77.5x5
  • 85x5 PR

My traps aren’t this sore from shrugs. I think my form is okay, but it seems my hip shift is worse when squatting high-bar.

DB Reverse Lunge / 3 inch Deficit RDL

• 25x3x10 / 75x12, 10, 10

Slowed the tempo right down on the RDL’s, and as a result my grip is failing on me again. Maybe I do need to get the CoC @duketheslaya

3s Pause Ab Wheels / Hollow Rocks / SA Planks

• 3x10 / 3x15-20 / 3x3x10s per side

my abs were screaming halfway through the hollow rocks, this absolutely kicks ass

Total time: 1:15:00

1 Like

:ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

There’s no need to buy it. Plenty of stuff you can do in and outside of the gym to improve grip strength. Grippers are awesome though so go for it lol

1 Like

I’m thinking I’m going to treat DOH Deads and RDL as their own main and supplemental lifts, respectively, as well as keep up all the fat-grip work I’m doing. The one thing I don’t have that I’d really like is a set of grenades, those look like a lot of fun.

Good idea. You could throw in towel/Fat gripz pullups instead of regular pullups as well. Small Things like that do make a big difference really

Indeed! They look awesome.

1 Like

So right now I do pull-ups of the rack’s cross-bar, which is basically a fat grip any ways (I cant get my hand all the way around), but towell pull-ups are fun and I haven’t done them in a while

Nice!

My last pullup session i got 10kg×5 With fat gripz. Once i get to 20kg×5 im going to switch it up to towel again. I can’t do normal pullups though, my shoulder hates them. (Doesnt hurt, just feels like shit) imo fat gripz pullups are superior anyway.

1 Like

@j4gga2, before you spend money, what’s your current DL? Or, better yet, what’s your best high rack pull? Mine is 475. I held that for about 5 seconds before I let it go.

@j4gga2 getting his grip strength roasted lol :wink:

1 Like

132.5kg (275) x 1

Beats me

Fixed it xoxo

You’re doing fine strength wise haha

1 Like

Okay. So, you can pull 275 once? Was your grip failing? You could just do a lot of high-rep DB Rows and a lot of high-rep chin-ups. These would improve your lockout strength as well as your grip strength.

Nah grip was fine, my back gave out

Im doing sets of 10-15 with fat gripz. Not Kroc Rows, but they’re something. Kroc Rows usually result in me using way too much English and putting my back/shoulders at serious risk

Again, not high rep, but I do loads of sets of 5-10 throughout the day on a chin-up bar in my door. I finish most sessions with bar hangs too

Lockout’s fine, my issue is definitely sustained effort for my grip (ie sets 15 reps with a 3-3-3-X tempo). Cheers for the tips though

1 Like

Friday 9th of November
WSSB: Rep Upper

Warm-Up:

• Limber 11

Legs are sore af from yesterday, not excited for conditioning tomorrow.

Incline DB Press / Fat Grip SA DB Row:

• 35x18, 9, 10 / 20x10+10, 10+6+4, 4+6+10

Going to need to go lighter for the incline if I want to get 50 in 3 sets (ie 350)

Wide-Grip Pullups / Seated DB Press (3s eccentric) / X Pull-Aparts

• 4x8 / 25x 15, 12, 12, 10 I think / 4x15

Trap-Bar Shrugs / PJR’s / Plate Pinch Carries

• +60x4x15 / 12.5x4x15 / 10kg per arm x 60m, 50m, 50m

Bar Hangs:

• Full stretch x 4x30s

Been away a couple of days and lots of reading to catch up mate.

first off congrats with being a clever dude: top 5% :+1:

And you should pass the exam, just focus on the last ones. Always good to finish on a high note.

For grip on RDL’s I would suggest straps. RDL is not a grip exercise. So strap up and RDL away, same goes for rows. Keep going until you know that in the next set grip is going to fail or maybe fail.
If you do it to get a better grip, then it’s another beast.

1 Like

That’s why they’re called Kroc Rows my friend! :wink:

1 Like

Keep in mind that both Jim and Kroc note to use a ‘reasonable amount’ of body English. I always get too caught up with hitting a rep PR I’ve got no business attempting. Trust me, it isn’t pretty.

That may sound like a bitch out, but I’ve been using Krocs intermittently for two years, and I always come to the same conclusion. The last thing I want to do is to fuck up my back and shoulders at 17. And besides, if I’m going to be taking that risk, I’d rather take it on my bench, DL, squat or carries, not a dumbbell row.

1 Like

Saturday 10th of November
WSSB: Dynamic-Effort Lower

Warm-Up:

• Limber 11

36 inch Box Jumps / Jump Rope

• 5x3 / 5x25

Hey, I can skip now

GHR’s / 24 Inch Barbell Step-Ups

• bw x 3x12 / 20x3x6

HLR’s / Jump Rope

• 4x10 / 4x50

Conditioning: Ergo @ lv 5 / 12kg KB Swing

• 250m / 10
  • 200m / 20
  • 150m / 30
  • 100m / 40
  • 50m / 50

Fuck. This was less than ten minutes but my grip, legs and upper back were fucked.

Spent the next half hour watching Brooklyn-99 on the stationary bike. Had a horrible food binge over last night and today that I need to make up for

2 Likes