Bench : 135x5 —> 205x5
Deads : 225x5 —> 365x5
Presses: 85x5 —> 140x5
Cleans : 80x3 —> 160x3
Pullups: 205x4 → 217.5x5 (total weight)
Front Squat: 165
GHR: ?

Athletic Training History:
As a kid, I didn’t play a single sport. The only athletic pursuit I seriously excelled in was wrestling. I never participated in any organized wrestling, but fucked around with guys on my middle school team and always held my own. As a sophomore in high school, I gained experience in performing the Squat, Bench, and Deadlift with poor form.

As a college freshmen, I did the “Starting Strength” program from bodybuilding.com without cleans, with only slightly better form, and while “cutting”. I dropped Starting Strength and competed in grappling and trained all the various aspects of MMA soon after. During this time, I was able to “achieve” a 285lbsx5 “thighs parallel” type of squat at a body weight of about ~145lbs.

About a year ago, I had accumulated a litany of injuries participating in MMA. Most of these probably occurred because I was ALWAYS trying to “cut” weight. Anyways, I strained one of the major ligaments in my knee during training. About the same time, I ended up moving out. Because of the injury and a new, tighter budget, I dropped MMA.

During the ensuing year, the only physical activities I participated in were semi-frequent pick-up basketball games and random grappling matches that occurred because my friends wanted to “train UFC” with me.

Goals:
My goal is to get as strong and powerful as I can. Simply put, I’d like to participate in both powerlifting and weightlifting at one point or another.

Current Run on SS:
I started a new run of linear progression on August 1st, 2011. I was (am) determined to do it by the book this time. I have been drinking a GOMAD (whole) and sleeping 9 hours religiously. My biggest mistake has been waiting six weeks to add Power Cleans to the program.

9/25: I’m moving to an every-other-day training schedule. I feel like my pressing movements will greatly benefit from this and it will give me an opportunity to progress my cleans more quickly. I also expect better nutrient partitioning. I’m switching up my diet as well. I’m moving to skim milk instead of whole milk. On my off-days, I’m going to consume as few carbs as possible (besides the milk) and eat as much lean and fatty meats as I can get my hands on. On my workout days, I’m more or less going to eat a ton of carbs, which sort of translates to whatever I want. I’m going to try to keep the fat as low as possible on this day (within reason: 20% of my cals minimum).

10/24: Back to 3 days a week and dieting to get back to 165/148 and destroy the Washington State record books for those weight classes, nomsaiyan?

Training
Here are the issues and adjustments I’ve made with the various lifts:

Squat:
I contracted a case of bicep tendinitis from an incorrect carry position. I have been successful in treating this by following the five day ibuprofen protocol of 3200mg/day coupled with a deload in squat.

I was able to add ten lbs. every single workout to my squat until 345lbs. At this point, the point became too painful and I cut the Squat session off after the first rep. I planned a 10% deload, and warmed up to 305, but didn’t perform 305. For my next workout, I performed one set of 305. My next workout will include all three sets of 5 at 305.

I love squatting with real shoes and a belt. I have been using Rip’s shoes and the athletic belt from bestbelts.com.

9/25: I think I am going to reset and work my way back up by 5s. I want to make sure I can keep my knees out and my chest up coming out of the hole. This is going to take a lot of weight off the bar in the short term, but, long term, I think this is the right call.

10/21: I’m switching over to Madcows 5x5 for Squats. I’ll be Front Squatting 3x3 on Wednesdays.

Bench:
I missed one bench workout because of my bicep tendinitis. Otherwise, I haven’t had any real problems with it. I just received my 1.25lbs plates and I will be needing these to make jump rather shortly.

9/21: I decided to start benching with a belt. I’ve only done one set so far and it seemed to help just a little bit so I will go to this from now on.

9/30: I moved my grip in today because I didn’t have a spotter and it was easier to unrack. I felt way stronger off the chest and I may just keep it this way. IDK yet.

Deadlift:
I have insanely small hands. Seriously, they are barely bigger than most girls’ hands. This limits my deadlift immensely. On two particular sets, I’ve gotten to the last rep and my right hand, which is the one I alternate on heavy weights, will get the weight half way up in a flash while my left hand will barely be able to get the other side off the ground. I’m doing everything I can to improve my grip, but it will probably always limit my deadlift.

I’ve started using a belt on these and has made a tremendous difference already.

10/28: I am moving to deadlifting x1/week now.

Press:
Until 9/8, the smallest plates I’ve had were 2.5lbs. Now, I have 1.25lbs and I expect this to make an enormous difference in my press progress.

9/25: Time for my first reset on these. I will go to a weight that allows me to tie my PR in two weeks to three weeks.

Power Clean:
I haven’t made any adjustment so far.

This Log:
I plan to update this log after every workout. My goal, though it is ambitious, is to film ALL of my worksets and upload them to youtube. This process might take a while to get streamlined, but I want my form to be subject to scrutiny and evaluation on a regular basis.

9-9-11

Workout B:
Squat:
45x8
45x8
45x8
165x5
205x3
255x2
305x5
305x5
305x5

My form was **** for these. I will be working a hell of a lot harder for my next set of Squats on Monday.

Press:
45x5
45x5
65x5
85x3
105x2
127.5x5
127.5x5
127.5x5

These looked and felt pretty good. I let a few get out in front and I think I may need to hurry up getting under the bar, but I’m not too terribly disappointed in this performance. PR too.

Power Cleans:
45x3
45x3
45x3
45x3
45x3
65x3
65x3
80x3
80x3
80x3

This was my first time Power Cleaning. I feel like the footage makes it seem like this was my first time squatting instead. These were “light”. I had no trouble racking the weight and I expect to progress quickly on these (assuming I get the technique dialed in).

Monday’s Lifts:
Squat: 310
Bench: 185
Deadlift: 345

UPS just delivered my Rip’s Shoes!

Thank God I won’t have to lift in Jordan’s or my socks anymore… I can’t wait to try these out for this afternoon’s workout.

Workout A:
9-12-11

Squat:
315x5
315x5
315x5

I decided to go up by ten instead of five because I never actually failed going up by ten and I’ve got a belt on the way, which I figure will allow me to make quite a few more ten pound jumps once I get used it. I’ve always had trouble with my left knee drifting about. I promise you that I am trying my best to shove it out on most of these reps. I just need to do a better job apparently. I had the bar roll up on me during the 3rd rep of the first set. I felt it and it sucked. The shoes made a HUGE difference. It was way easier to drive out of the hole. I can’t wait till my belt gets here because core strength seems to be limiting the weight I can do with acceptable form.

Bench Press:
185x5
185x5
185x5

All of these were uneven. I think because of the bicep tendinitis (which was in my left arm) I’ve been dealing with ,my left arm is a little hesitant to use a groove that requires a ton of bicep stabilization. However, my right arm, which is completely healthy, is fine doing this. I suppose the fix is to just focus on elbows out on the way down from now on.

Deadlift:
345x4

Dammit. I failed on these again. After rewatching it, I probably could have round-backed the shit out of the fifth rep and got it. However, my lower back was already feeling it from my crappy form during the first four reps. My hips are clearly too low and my buddy probably didn’t understand the cues he was giving me because he was telling me to pull from a bad position. Of course, this has nothing to do with him, I should know when I am in good position and I wasn’t on any of these reps. It is pretty clear that my hips pop up immediately after the bar leaves the ground on every rep; I need to start with them higher. Oh, and I probably should look down more. In any case, I will just try these again next time with a belt. My small hands really suck and I have straps on the way. I’m not sure whether or not I should use them on heavy sets, but with my grip being a hugely limiting factor, I might have to. There is always time to specialize in grip once I am out of the novice stage.

Wednesday’s Workout:
Squat: 325x5
Press: 130x5
Power Clean: 90x3

Just got a bunch of gear in the mail: TK knee sleeves, harbinger wrist straps, and harbinger velcro belt.

I got the sleeves just for added knee protection. Anything that keeps the joints warm is good by me. I know first hand how crappy knee injuries are and I like the idea of lessening my chances of having another one.

The harbinger stuff is primarily intended for deadlift. I have a sweet belt on the way from the guys at bestbelts.com, but it isn’t here yet so I’ll probably just the velcro for Squat today as well.

Because I got the harbinger gear from BB.com, I got…

NOXPLODE!!! lol, I’m definitely going to use it all today. I won’t be able to sleep tonight because of my caffeine sensitivity, but who gives a damn when I can get teh pump!?

Workout B:
9/14/2011

Squat:
325x5
325x5
325x5

These sucked. It wasn’t even heavy and I still managed to have shit form. Today just wasn’t a great day in the weight room all the way around. Wearing a belt was pretty cool, but I wasn’t used to it and adjusted it way too much. I REALLY, REALLY need to keep my knees out and my core tight.

Press:
130x5
130x5
130x5

Sloppy form. Whatever. I know I can fix these next time. It shouldn’t have taken as much effort as it did, but I was letting these get way too far out in front and I wasn’t getting under it soon enough.

Power Cleans
90x3
90x3
90x3
90x3
90x3

I take too long between reps on these. I seem to be “banging” the bar away. There is a definitely loop. These just felt slow. I think I simply need to pull faster, harder, and jump higher. This is basically warm-up weight anyway.

Overall, this was not a workout to remember. My energy sucked and technique was lacking. I can’t wait to do much better on Friday.

Friday’s Lifts:
Squat: 335
Bench: 190
Deadlift: 345

9/16/11, Workout A:

Squats:
335x5
335x5
335x5

These were actually pretty damn light. I have to fix that knee drift. Knees out! I have to remember to keep my set my lower back because I always “forget” in the heat of the moment. I’ll get my spotter to yell at me next time.

Bench:
190x4
190x5
190x5

Left bicep was bothering just a little after squats. I couldn’t find a good groove and I couldn’t plant my legs well. I stopped being a pussy for the second and third set. Interestingly, I seemed to get stronger and stronger as the sets went on. That’s cool. I still need to work on getting my elbow tuck to be the same degree on both sides. I tend to have WAY more tuck on the right side and it results in the left side going up first. Maybe I’m trying to protect my “weak” arm by loading the right side more?

Deadlift:
355x5

Form could have been wayyyy better. Oh well. I’m pretty damn happy that I was able to get 355 even though I only got 345x4 last time. I felt strong so I said, “Fuck it. Throw 355 on there.” Success. I will have to be more conscious of my lower back next time. I will get my spotter to yell at me.

Monday’s Lifts:
Squat: 345x5 (PR)
Press: 132.5x5 (PR)
Clean: 100x3

9/19/2011: Workout B

Squats:
345x5
345x5
345x5

Knee drift. Damn, my squats feel strong as hell lately. I probably should have focused more on knees out on this one. I had one rep roll up on me in my first set (third rep). These feel better than they did last week. I don’t have much to say because I’m kind of feeling lazy on the keyboard right now.

Press:
135x5
135x5
135x5

I was trying to incorporate hip movement into these and they turned out a bit awkward. I was letting too many of these get out in front. I need to be more conscious of my core on this lift so I can get more out of it strength-wise.

Power Clean:
100x3
100x3
100x3
100x3
100x3

These suck. My donkey kick is strong. I need to fix those ASAP. I guess I need to jump higher and harder.

Wednesday’s Lifts:
Squat: 355
Bench: 195
Deadlift: 365

Just got a new suede belt from bestbelts.com. 10mm thick, 4in wide, and awesome.

Workout A: 9/21/11

Squats:
355x5
355x5
355x5

Same fucking problems as usual. I thought I did much, much better until the 5th rep on the first set when my chest clearly caved at the bottom. I simply could not recover for the second set. I felt like puking for the rest of the workout. From the second set on, I remember feeling like every rep was shit. And they probably were.

Squats absolutely killed me today. I had almost no energy for bench and deadlift. I had to hype myself up to even finish the workout. Even then, I more or less failed both subsequent lifts. I think my days of 10lbs jumps are just about over. Even if I start going up by 5, I feel like I may need to reset a good deal to fix these form issues once and for all while allowing myself a good stretch of actually having energy to do the other lifts.

In addition, it is time to start adding some conditioning. I will be doing a little walking at a small incline (@3.5mph or so) on my off-days to make sure I don’t become absolutely pathetic in terms of my cardio. This may help with partitioning as well. Well, that would be cool anyway.

Bench:
195x4
192.5x4
192.5x4

I don’t know what is going on with this, but somehow my left arm is stronger than my right. This makes no sense on a lot of levels because I’m right handed. Maybe I’m handing more weight to my right side? On my last rep of my last set, you can see that I actually lockout on the left and then my spotter helps on the right side. I think I may have been able to get it, but the form is terrible so it is besides the point. I tried using a belt on my last set and it helped. I’ll probably stick with a belt on bench from now on.

Honestly, if I didn’t squat first, I think I would have knocked out not only 192.5 for 5, but 195 as well. I wasn’t able to try hard enough / get enough adrenaline on the fifth rep of my sets and I strongly believe this is because of the CNS fatigue caused by squatting.

Deadlift:
365x5

I hestitate to call this bullshit set a PR because it really isn’t. My starting position is wrong for every single rep and progressively got worse. My back is rounded to the point of being absolutely, terrifyingly dangerous. To boot, I didn’t even get a true PR because I hitched reps 4 and 5. I am honestly ashamed of this set and I can’t believe I ego lifted a heavy set of deads. My back is already stiff and sore in the bad way and that is AFTER I went into a hot tub for 30 minutes. I shudder to think about having to work tomorrow with my back feeling like it does.

I will never, ever do this again. I can’t believe I did. I am fucking idiot. I can only hope I didn’t just cause an injury that will have to be rehabbed. Honestly, I feel like I did, though. Fuck.

Friday’s Lifts:
Squats: ???
I am not sure whether or not I will reset on these or keep going. While my deadlifts were complete shit, my squats weren’t THAT bad and I did much better keeping my knees out when I was focusing on it. Depending on how my lower back is feeling, I will probably keep jumping up 10lbs until I fail. At that point, I will do a MAJOR reset (20%) and go back up by 5’s.

Press: 137.5x5 or 140x5 depending on energy/strength

Clean: 110x3

Separate thoughts:
I am this || close to deciding to switch to an EOD (every other day) schedule. Wait, what? You just complained about Squats completely fucking you and now you want to do MORE volume!?

Yes. I feel like my squat is so much better than my other lifts simply because I train it more. I am a very proportionate person. I don’t have particularly long arms (wing span = height + 2 inches) and I no longer believe grip is the limiting factor in my deadlift performance after watching what happened to me today on my heavy set.

I want to train my other lifts with higher frequency and see how they respond. Of course, this means I will probably hit a wall on Squats faster, but that is fine by me. I will probably go to a schedule where I front squat every time I deadlift.

I may be wrong, but it sure feels like I respond very, very well to the frequency of squats.

Workout B: 9/23/11

Squat:
295x5
295x5

My back had been bothering me since the last time I deadlifted so I really tried to work on form for these. I didn’t want to push around a weight that might cause a form break down and end up hurting myself. I knew my knees were shooting forward at the bottom of some of these but I couldn’t seem to fix it. I need to search the old archives and figure out how to make sure my hips don’t immediately go BACK and, instead, go up and contribute to lifting the bar.

Press:
137.5x4
137.5x4
137.5x3

I can’t help but feel that I’m doing something completely wrong with this movement. I’m going to reread the press section of SS. Hell, it might be time to read all of SS again (and again… and again). I think I am going to go with a 10% reset on these (122.5lbs starting weight) and work my way back up 2.5lbs at a time. I should be ready to PR in a month.

Power Clean:
110x3
110x3
110x3
110x3
110x3

I had a couple form breakdowns on a couple of the reps. I really was trying to focus on not taking so long between reps. That resulted in a few bad starting positions, but, really, this weight still isn’t challenging enough to see how bad my form really is. I’m still donkey kicking and I’m not sure what to do about that. When I focus on jumping as high as I can, I still donkey kick. I caught one with my elbow down and it hurt like a bitch (4th set, last rep). It served as a good reminder not to do it again. It was nice to get at least one PR during this workout.

Pullups:
Gym Weight: 205lbs

According to my programming plan, the first time I started stalling on bench or press, I was going to add chinups and pullups as an assistance exercise. That day has come and now they have been added.

I have a scale in my garage and I’m just going to use it for programming pullups and chinups. I realize this is unorthodox and slightly OCD, but, IMO, chins and pullups should respond just like any other compound movement to proper programming. To program, I need to know what weight I’m using. I was pretty surprised that I could do much with these. At 165ish, with no training, I would only rock out five to seven on my first set, three to four on the next, and two to three on the last one. I never really recover from pullups and chinups well and that is probably because I always go to failure each set. Even when I don’t though, I don’t seem to be able to have consistent performance throughout the set (when it is for reps).

Anyways, I chose to put pullups on press day because I didn’t want to do “heavy” chins before a bench day. By doing pullups, I can handle less weight and I take the biceps out of it to some degree. So, it serves a perfect movement to rotate with chinups.

Monday’s Lifts:
Squat: ???
I still don’t know. I think I may do something in the vicinity of 315. I want to make sure I can keep my knees out 100% with whatever weight that I do. I’ll also have to figure this whole “knees shooting forward” at the bottom problem.
Bench: 192.5, I will get this. Easily.
Deadlift: ???
It depends on my back. I’m inclined to do 365 again and just try to get it with proper form. OTOH, I may pretend that it is my first day deadlifting and find what weight I can do with perfect form and work my way back up. I have a tendency to not fully squeeze my chest at the bottom and it is resulting in me being round the entire set. I have to fix this so my lower back can get strong from deadlifting. I’ll have to see how it goes.

Big Changes:
Well, starting on Monday I’m making some changes to program.

Training:
EOD Format: I’m moving to an EOD format. Mon-Wed-Fri-Sun-Tue-Thu-Sat — Repeat.
I’m aware of the pitfalls of this, but I don’t think recovery is going to be an issue. It is only two extra workouts per month, and, according to Rip, this is actually fine for novices. The 3x/wk schedule only makes sense because we all live on a week-based schedule. It doesn’t bother me going to the gym on different days during different weeks.

Workouts: I’m going to make a concerted effort to cut my time spent in the “gym” in half. I take way too much time between warmups and sets. It is ridiculous. My workouts last 2-2.5hrs. That’s just too long.

Active Recovery: I’m adding 60min of walking daily. I’ve proven to myself in the past this doesn’t cut into recovery and I’m going to add it now.

I’m also going to try something sort of “radical”. I’m going to lift every single day. Wait, what? Yeah. On my off-days, I’m going to warm up to my work sets and then not do them. I have the self-discipline to do this. I want to experiment with “groove” and see if this kind of active recovery helps. If I notice any performance slippage, I’ll cut back on all this shit and try to figure which variable is the cause. Honestly, warmups don’t add to fatigue. That’s the point of the warm up. If this experiment is successful, I’ll get almost double the amount of quality form reps and that goes a long ways. If this experiment is successful, I’ll probably try it during an intense cut one of these days and see if it has any muscle sparring effects. Then again, I don’t anticipate needing to cut for a long ass time… if ever.

Diet:
I’ve GOMAD’d my way to 200lbs in less than two months. I’m pretty fat. I would say I’m approaching 30% BF if not already over it. I started around 20% at ~165lbs. This is a pretty terrible ratio and it is clear that I’m eating too much. I’m going to be switching to more of a cyclical IF diet. For those unaware what IF is, it stands for “intermittent fasting”. Basically, it just an attempt to get better calorie partitioning through meal timing. The “fasting” part sounds scary, but, really, we are only talking about a 16 hour window here. On off days, I will have 350g p, 50g c, 70g f, for approximately ~2200-2300 calories. For “on” days, I will have 250g p, 400g c, 70g f, for approximately 3200-3300 calories.

My goal is stay between 180-200lbs and slowly recomp over time. If I lose weight too fast, I will add in more carbs on my “on” days. In reality, I’m pretty flexible with these things. I will have cheat meals. If I feel like shit, I’ll have more carbs on off-days. It isn’t that big of a deal to me. I’m looking for long term sustainability and adherence above all else.

Oh, my brother started lifting with me (17y/o one).
First workout:
Squat: 145
Press: 80
Deadlift: 110 (just working on the pull because it was clean day, on Monday I’ll have him test for a real weight to start with).

So, after carefully making a diet plan, I realized that it makes no sense to go from not watching my diet at all to being completely anal about it. I’m just going to make a few small changes for the first month and see if I get any recomp. Once recomp stops, I’ll go to the next level of complexity. I’m still going to use an IF protocol, but, on off-days, I’m still going to drink a gallon of skim milk (instead of whole) and eat as much lean/fatty meat as I can on those days. I will try not to consume many extra carbs. On my workout-days, I’m going to drink a gallon of skim milk and eat to satiety with large, carb based meals. I’m going to try to keep the fatty carb sources low. Knowing my appetite, this should still get me in the vicinity of 3000-5000cals/day (lower end on off-days and higher end on on-days).

I also decided it would be a good idea to start taking measurements, which I will do monthly:
Weight: 199.2 (post-bathroom, no food, no water, 1st thing in the morning)
Waist: 39.5"
Neck: 16.5"
Hips: 42"
BF%: 26.3 (Navy method estimate)
Shoulders: 50"
Chest: 40.5"
Thigh: 27.75"
Upper Arm: 14.5"
Calf: 14.5"
Forearm: 11"

Starting Strength:
Workout A: 9/26/11

Squats:
365x5
365x5
365x5

None of these count. I wasn’t getting my knees out at the bottom so I didn’t hit depth. I will just repeat them on Wednesday with better form. These were pretty tough, but I’m confident I can do these with (more) proper form. I knew I was doing them wrong while I was doing it (chest cave, knees in) and I should have just trusted my instinct and/or watched the videos during my workout. My partner(s) told me the depth was fine. This one is on me and I’ll have to do the weight again as a result. Ego = wasted workout.

Bench:
192.5x5
192.5x5
192.5x5

I had more in the tank. I’m satisfied with these.

Deadlift:
305x5

I just am not flexible enough to get into a good pulling position right now. I was completely fucking exhausted by the time deadlift rolled around. I just had no energy. My warmups felt 100lbs heavier than they were. I could just tell it was a terrible idea to go for a PR. I was right. I was barely able to pull 305x5. I need to get my form sorted for these. Additionally, I’ve decided to start using an intraworkout supplement. I ordered some Ultra Fuel from Twin Labs. I’ve used it successfully for energy in the past. I felt flat and tired after Squats (again). I am hoping some carbs during my workout will make the difference.

If anyone has any suggestions to help my pull, I’d love to hear them. I feel like I could probably add 100lbs immediately with some form adjustments (like going sumo), but I want to do the deadlifts by the book. I’m going to reread the SS deadlift section, stretch, and aggressively foam roll my hammies and hips. I am hoping this will make a difference.

Morning Cardio:
60min, 3.5 miles @ smallest resistance possible on elliptical

Wednesday’s Weights:
Squat: 365
Press: 122.5
Clean: 120

Forgot to do my chins today.

Just went in and hit 3x5 of dead hang, shoulder grip chins @ total weight of 202lbs.

Will do 207 total lbs on Friday.

Morning Cardio: 60min, 3.6mi

Active Recovery:
Warmed up as if I was going to do tomorrow’s worksets then simply moved onto the other exercises.

All went well – sort of. My left arm is kind of acting up again. Interestingly enough, this isn’t happening during squats but when I’m taking weights on and off the bar. It is definitely the same thing that bothered me earlier in the program because I had this same issue last time. However, I did feel WAY better after getting out of the gym (minus the arm). That’s the good news.

I’m getting some blood work done tomorrow. I’m going to ask for total test, free test, estrogen, and T3/T4. I don’t know how this will affect my workout. I’m hoping it doesn’t.

Starting Strength
Workout B: 9/28/11

Morning Cardio: 60min outdoors walk

Squats:
365x1

I woke up tired and sore for a doctor’s appointment at 7am. I got a physical and had some blood drawn. I felt pretty weak so I went home and took a nap. When I got up, I definitely felt a lot better. I decided to go on my usual walk. After I was done, my legs felt fried. I knew I had just fucked over my entire workout which I did. After getting 5 last time, I failed after 1 this time. Well, time to cut out all the extra shit and reset my squats. I won’t be doing any more walking and I won’t be doing active recovery stuff. When I failed, I caught some of the weight with my arm and I completely reignited the tendinitis that was bothering me last month. With the combination of being in quite a bit of pain, and just feeling like I complete crap, I decided to be a pussy and not bang my head up against the wall. I called it a day after my first set of press.

I am going to deload squats a bit. My next workout will only be a warmup to 325. The next workout after that, I’m going to do one set at 325. On the third workout, I will get back to normal with 3 sets of 325. I forget where this reset protocol is described but it is either in PP or SS.

Today was pretty damn shitty. I’ll be back at it on Friday.

Friday’s Lifts:
Squats: n/a
Bench: 195
Deadlift: 365
Chins: 207

I’m working on a diet to follow. It will probably be something like half GOMAD combined with paleo on “off” days and carb refeeds on workout days. ~4000cals on workout days, ~2500 cals on “off” days. The gap will probably be smaller than that when put into practice (3.7k to 2.7k).

The macronutrient break down will look like this:
On: 300g PRO, 500g CHO, 50g FAT
Off: 340g PRO, 100g CHO, 100g FAT

I’m looking for something, diet wise, that I can just put into place and repeat for a year to two years with little or no change. I’d mostly be looking to recomp over time and just let my body decide where it wants to settle weight wise. My goal would be to end up maintaining around 15-18% BF.

Progress Pics:
165—200
Day 1: http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h173/IzzyT42/IMAG0144.jpg
Now: http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h173/IzzyT42/WP_000109.jpg

I’ll get someone to take a “same” pose picture next week. I have one of every month despite how gay it is IMO.

Starting Strength:
Workout A: 9/30/11

Squat:
Deload day, I just did warmups. Kinda sucked, I was pumped and ready to PR these.

Bench:
195x5
195x5
195x5

I moved my grip in for these because I didn’t have a spotter and it felt easier to unrack. I actually felt stronger doing this. Then I watched the video and noticed my forearms aren’t really vertical with that narrow of a grip. Maybe I’ll move it back out. Regardless, PR for these and I didn’t even have a liftoff. Cool stuff.

Deadlift:
365x5

Eh. My starting position still fucking sucks. These were way easier. I swear they come off the ground so damn easy, but it is so hard to finish it. I think this is because I knock the bar forward when I dip my hips too low at the beginning of the movement. For the next two weeks, I’m going to work on hip mobility and hamstring flexibility. I WILL get this starting position thing fixed. I have a feeling that if I start with a set back, the lockout won’t be so hard and I’ll be able to add 50lbs to my deadlift just by virtue of better leverages and less effort at the top.

Overall, this was a nice workout. Not squatting sucked, but was awesome. I had a lot of energy for bench. I didn’t, surprisingly, have a lot of energy for deadlift. I didn’t really need it though. Without squatting, 365 required absolutely zero adrenaline. I just need to fix deadlift form and get that sucker up there with regards to weight.

Sunday’s Lifts:
Squat: 325 (one set)
Press: 125
Clean: 120
Pullups: 3x5 with as little weight as I can manage without stripping or something.

I have decided to go ahead and move to a more structured diet. I will be doing something like 3.5k-4k cals on workout days, and 2.5k to 3k on off-days. I will be doing about half GOMAD of skim milk (more on workout days, little less on off days). I’m also lifting every other day. I’ve mentioned it before, but my macros will include high protein every day, high carbs on workout days, low carb with max 100carbs on off days, low fat with max 60g fat on workout days, and high fat on off-days.

I just did some new measurements (and pictures) to have something completely accurate pre-diet:
Height: 5’6" (doc said I was 5’6.25" during my physical lol)
Neck: 16.25"
Shoulders: 50"
Chest: 40.5"
Bicep: 15"
Forearm: 11"
Waist: 39"
Hips: 42.5"
Thigh: 28"
Calf: 14.5"

I took all the measurements cold upon waking, before eating or drinking, and post-bathroom.

I’ll get all three sets of pictures up when I get photo editor so I can make them all look relatively similar in size, lighting, etc. I had to take the newest ones in a different location.