T Nation

Ive stunted my growth...

Bones and muscles grow by ENTIRELY different mechanisms…

You short guys make me laugh.

Don’t worry about it and don’t mess with it. Everyone’s height development is different; your brother just got started earlier than you did. My brother was always small and skinny through high school. Then he pretty much blew up during his first year of college. I, on the other hand, have been growing taller steadily through high school and college. You’ll probably hit a growth spurt in the next year or so.

Just as a note on diet and height - the average height of Japanese 11-year olds has gone up 5 1/2 inches in the last 50 years. This is most likely due to a change in diet. More calories, more meat and dairy.

Since the late 1850’s the average height of the Dutch male has gone from 5’ 4.5" to 6’. I think that is also largely due to diet.

So I think it is possible that you have stunted or delayed your growth. However, it’s also possible you are a late bloomer. As with most here I have a friend who was - he grew from 5’9" to 6’4" from the age of 19 to 21. But, if it’s going to be the cause of great neuroses in you, maybe you should see a doctor about the possibility of hGH (but check to see if your plates are fused first).

I had another friend (female) who had starved herself all through puberty to stay skinny, and when she got married/pregnant and had to eat more, she grew 2" (this was at the age of 20! - which is very late for women).

If you want to maximise height, make sure you’re getting plenty of calcium and good fats and vitamins, and good diet in general (every day). Also, be sure to sleep 8+ hours/night so that your body is primed to take advantage of any growth spurts that might come along.

Cheers!

“P-dog, come to think of it. My mailman is pretty short.lol!”

sorry to be the one to deliver the bad news bro.

Ok guys,

Thank you all for your replies.
Im currently drinking 1500mg+ calcium from dairy sources, getting a multivitamin, im eating about 1.8 grams of protein per pound of BW, and eating 300 calories above maintenance destined to muscle mass.
Should i make sure to eat some extra calories in addition to the 300 extra im already eating to afford both height and muscle growth? If so, how much would it be, how much does a growing teen gains in bw per year on average, maybe this could give us a clue?

Oh, BTW, its weird but my mom is getting nervous everytime I ask her if ive got mail P-DOG! LOL!

Thank u all guys for ur help,

Rollus

I think you have to come to terms with the fact that you have very little control over your height now or in the future.

The turnover for bone is VERY slow. By comparison muscles turn over (i.e, breakdown, repair, and grow) at a much faster rate. What you eat now and have eaten in the past will likely have very little effect on your final height. While severe undernourishment may cause developmental issues I doubt that eating slightly below maintenance would result in stunted growth.

The basic message you can take from this is don’t waste your time eating more than 300 above maintenance because it isn’t going to help you grow any taller. Eating to grow more muscular should be your biggest concern.

Besides, I don’t see the need for worry. I’m 5’4 and I’ve never had any insecurities about my height. What gives?