T Nation

I've Given Up Trying To Be Big

[quote]ZEB wrote:

PM me if you want my joint regime.
[/quote]

I knew it, Zeb’s really a hippie at heart.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
… PM me if you want my joint regime. That goes for anyone!

[/quote]

I never would have guessed Zeb smoked pot.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
ZEB wrote:

I knew it, Zeb’s really a hippie at heart.[/quote]

That made me bust out laughing! I’m chuckling as I type this.

Yup Zeb be on that cryp-to-nite!

Yes dbol will give you some painful pumps and I’m very suprised to hear about the guy who got up to a lean 265 without any juice. For god’s sake Cutler competes at what 275 and he’s quite well lubed. Maybe you should consider it bro? LOL, just kidding.

As for the man with no hope?? Tisk Tisk. I’m just wondering what your major lifts look like? I’m 6’2 (well about 6’2) and 230. Yes I’m not natural. Still I continue to gain strength when I’m not on. I’m pretty damn sure you could still gain some strenth. That said you could probably stand to gain some more size. No?

[quote]slimjim wrote:
ZEB wrote:

I knew it, Zeb’s really a hippie at heart.[/quote]

LOL…no no the other type of joint…:slight_smile:

What would Ronnie Coleman say?

He’d say that you’ve stopped growing cos you’ve stopped pushing yourself. You’ve become comfortable with your current intensity and aren’t making gains anymore.

I say, if you actually still want to get bigger, concentrate on getting stronger. Size gains will follow.

[quote]WideGuy wrote:
I’m very suprised to hear about the guy who got up to a lean 265 without any juice. [/quote]

who’s this?

[quote]Rocket Lax wrote:
Stevo, I hear you. When I started, I was 5’10", 130lbs. Heavy lifting, heavy eating and 100% dedication let me pack on 35 pounds. But getting over 165lbs is murder. And sometimes I wonder if 175lbs is really that much better than 165lbs. Enough to justify eating 4000 calories a day and taking the risk of lifting really heavy, especially now that I am in my early 30s and my joints are starting to ache.
[/quote]

I stopped reading this thread at this point. If other’s have ripped you in a better fashion, I apologize to the forum. With that said, HOLY SHIT.

I was 5’10" and 114lbs. my freshman year in high school. I didn’t know shit about lifting other than I liked it and by my senior year I was 5’10" 165lbs. During this time I did the cybergenix workout, the DIET cybergenix workout (I forget what it was called), as well as the 100 reps workout I picked up from Muscle and Fitness. During this time I had three knee surgeries and almost lost my left leg six inches above the knee to a fucking staph infection (I’m allergic to penicillan and vancomycin).

My dad was 6’ and 135lbs when he graduated high school, so I have shit genes. When I got to college and had access to the chow line I got to a ripped 190lbs. in no time at all. Now I’m a pretty solid 215lbs. at 5’10". I’ve been up to 240. My wrist is about 6 1/3 inches. EAT. LIFT HEAVY. EAT SOME MORE. It really is that simple.
God damn.

Dude I hear you but like I said, Im not after advice on how to improve my training im just stating my case.
Which was how hard work and eating put on the first 40, but the mountion to climb for a few pounds after that is extremely hard work. Ive got to the stage were i realised its not worth it. Im not training for anything in particular (chasing girls excluded)
Im now not going to turn down a beer with a mate because it doesnt fit in with my diet or current program.
Im over that shit.
The weight im at now is pretty resilient to change. I’ve just got to accept that without huge sacrifices to my lifestyle Im as big as ill ever get. I’m proud of what ive achieved and will still bust my gut at the gym to maintain it.
Im glad a lot of you have still got the fire in your belly and i wish you the best with your training.

Oh and Zap as a fellow rugby player I expect youll be watching the best team in the world, the All Blacks give the English a good kicking on Saturday

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
After reading you post, I feel like bitch slapping you. Why? Because you gave up. That negative attitude will not help you at all. I have been lifting for 11 years and in just the past 5 months I have put on over 20lbs. this was after being “stuck” at the same bodyweight for quite a while. what I did was reassess what I was doing and how I was eating and adjusted it to meet the my goal. Plus I made sure to keep the idea of growing in the back of my head at all times.

I never forget about what I want to achieve. Postitve thinking goes a lot futhter than most people realize. Since this mental reboot and the changing of habits I am enjoying new growth and strength like I did when I was a beginner. I tip the scale at 220 now and all signs say that I will make 230 by early next year.

Biggest thing is, DON’T FUCKING GIVE UP!!! If you beat youself down, you will never reach any of your goals. Now get your ass back in the gym and lift hard and eat animals after!!! Don’t make me smack you. [/quote]

If you were turning down a beer with a mate you probably were never going to get big anyway.

It’s just that simple. The only way I’d turn down a beer is if a. I didn’t want to drink at that time or b. I was on a strict diet (i.e. trying to stay lean).

Other than that, I could use the calories.

Doogie, congrats on your progress. Without training with me, you have no idea of how hard I work or how much I eat, which makes ripping me on a message board sort of pointless. I was just trying to tell Steve-o I know how he is feeling, there are T-men out there who have felt the same way, and everyone needs to choose their own goals.

The fact is that you can’t tell your genetic limitations when you start; there are lots of skinny guys who have gotten big. And a few who bust ass and eat big for years and see only modest gains. It’s not an an excuse for giving up and I haven’t.

[quote]Rocket Lax wrote:
Doogie, congrats on your progress. Without training with me, you have no idea of how hard I work or how much I eat, which makes ripping me on a message board sort of pointless. I was just trying to tell Steve-o I know how he is feeling, there are T-men out there who have felt the same way, and everyone needs to choose their own goals.

The fact is that you can’t tell your genetic limitations when you start; there are lots of skinny guys who have gotten big. And a few who bust ass and eat big for years and see only modest gains. It’s not an an excuse for giving up and I haven’t.[/quote]

I seriously doubt that you are anywhere near your genetic potential…

more likely you’re overlooking something that is holding you back from making much better progress…

have you considered hiring a guy like Christian Thibaudeau to go over your training, nutrition, rest, and rehabilitation habits with you for a couple of months?

probably expensive, but having someone that really knows what they’re doing go over everything with you could work wonders…

anyways…good luck!

[quote]Rocket Lax wrote:

The fact is that you can’t tell your genetic limitations when you start; there are lots of skinny guys who have gotten big. And a few who bust ass and eat big for years and see only modest gains. It’s not an an excuse for giving up and I haven’t.[/quote]

It’s just that I feel David Spade or Woody Allen could get past 165-perhaps well past-if they ate and trained right.

[quote]DPH wrote:
I seriously doubt that you are anywhere near your genetic potential…

more likely you’re overlooking something that is holding you back from making much better progress…

have you considered hiring a guy like Christian Thibaudeau to go over your training, nutrition, rest, and rehabilitation habits with you for a couple of months?

probably expensive, but having someone that really knows what they’re doing go over everything with you could work wonders…

anyways…good luck![/quote]

Very good suggestion. In my opinion, professional help is well worth the price, and if my gains had stalled and I still wanted to gain more and felt I was working very hard and eating right, I would consult a strength coach. No doubt.

[quote]Stevo wrote:
Dude I hear you but like I said, Im not after advice on how to improve my training im just stating my case.
Which was how hard work and eating put on the first 40, but the mountion to climb for a few pounds after that is extremely hard work. Ive got to the stage were i realised its not worth it. Im not training for anything in particular (chasing girls excluded)
Im now not going to turn down a beer with a mate because it doesnt fit in with my diet or current program.
Im over that shit.
The weight im at now is pretty resilient to change. I’ve just got to accept that without huge sacrifices to my lifestyle Im as big as ill ever get. I’m proud of what ive achieved and will still bust my gut at the gym to maintain it.
Im glad a lot of you have still got the fire in your belly and i wish you the best with your training.

[/quote]

I think you’ve got a good attitude. You’ve realized your priorities and realized you are basically happy where you are. As such, there’s no real reason for you to do what you would need to to gain more size.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Rocket Lax wrote:

The fact is that you can’t tell your genetic limitations when you start; there are lots of skinny guys who have gotten big. And a few who bust ass and eat big for years and see only modest gains. It’s not an an excuse for giving up and I haven’t.

It’s just that I feel David Spade or Woody Allen could get past 165-perhaps well past-if they ate and trained right.

[/quote]

From his past posts:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=627624

I really don’t think he trains like most of us consider “training hard”. I could be very wrong there, but I would think very few people top out at 165lbs at his height. While everyone may not have the genes to build a HUGE amount of muscle mass, there are about as many people who can build the minimum as there are Ronnie Colemans.

I don’t quite understand the recurring opinion on some of these threads that eating 4000 kcals (or 200-300 g of protein) a day is such an issue. With appropriate planning and preperation, everybody should be capable of meeting the required caloric intake.

[quote]DPH wrote:
Have you considered hiring a guy like Christian Thibaudeau to go over your training, nutrition, rest, and rehabilitation habits with you for a couple of months?
[/quote]

Thank you for the suggestion. I feel like I hijacked Steve-o’s thread, when I was only trying to support him. But since you asked… I spent two and a half years working for Lee Haney and consulted with him often in that time. I have also trained with three IFBB pros, two national powerlifting champs, one Olympic strength coach, numerous competitive bodybuilders, and even got a certification myself just to see if there were any tidbits I could glean. The next step would be hiring Thib and Berardi to oversee me on a day-to-day basis. That’s not feasible for me.

Some people’s attitudes are just silly. (Not you, DPH. I am addressing some of the other comments now.) I’m not attacking anybody or disparaging their work ethic.

[quote]Rocket Lax wrote:
DPH wrote:
Have you considered hiring a guy like Christian Thibaudeau to go over your training, nutrition, rest, and rehabilitation habits with you for a couple of months?

Thank you for the suggestion. I feel like I hijacked Steve-o’s thread, when I was only trying to support him. But since you asked… I spent two and a half years working for Lee Haney and consulted with him often in that time. I have also trained with three IFBB pros, two national powerlifting champs, one Olympic strength coach, numerous competitive bodybuilders, and even got a certification myself just to see if there were any tidbits I could glean. The next step would be hiring Thib and Berardi to oversee me on a day-to-day basis. That’s not feasible for me.

Some people’s attitudes are just silly. (Not you, DPH. I am addressing some of the other comments now.) I’m not attacking anybody or disparaging their work ethic.[/quote]

What was the outcome of this?:

Prof X, I think your feeling about me probably comes from the way I write. I don’t see the point in writing things like, “Eat big! Train big!” I’ll just say I have worked out in dozens of gyms and very rarely have I been outworked by anybody.