T Nation

I've Been Asked to Price Out a Gym

Video group workouts may sound good, but they won’t work for staff who want to come in when it best suits their schedules, like before work or when others are using the space - which sadly eliminates the more serious of them. I notice they keep trying to get groups of women together to do video workouts where I work and as far as I know none of the efforts have been successful. However, I would bet money that some of the women would utilize gym equipment, and although I have my own I might also use it because it would be nice to get a quick workout in before I go home on the days I don’t get to it in the morning. For me a treadmill and a rower would be fantastic along with weights (I can do better than five pounds, lol). Treadmills are expensive, but they’re probably the best utilized cardio machines in most gyms.

Also, I’m wondering why you’re asking bodybuilders on a website what to include while relying on “from what I’ve heard” to determine what core employees would like to have. Why not do a survey that asks people directly what they would like to see included?

Please rate the following on importance to you (maybe a 1-5 scale):

1. Weightlifting (possibly broken into free and circuit if you really care what the staff are looking for)
  2. Cardio/aerobic exercise equipment
  3. Group fitness classes

From there you can move to more specifics, e.g. “I would use the following,” and have them note how often in a given week, example:
Kettle balls
Deadlift platform
Stationary bicycle
Rower
Etc.

You know, find out what the people you’re building this for want.

Before we respond, I do want to give attention to Basement_Gainz and his “dissenting opinion” above. I am no legal expert but that’s probably worth broaching with your dad to make sure he’s considered the ramifications and still prefers the idea of creating a gym at your facility over the simpler way: offering paid-for memberships at a nearby commercial gym. Philosophically, I love the idea of an office gym and know a couple examples where it works, but those were very large companies with a few gazillion dollars for whom the legal liabilities were not a major issue, and I do not know anything about the degree of extra insurance premiums your father will have to carry or if there’s a way to ensure that all employees using the gym release your father of ANY liability by signing a waiver. Might wanna chat with a lawyer about this.

Anyways…if you forge ahead with the “gym at the office”

Agree with this. Even if some people are overzealous in estimating how often they’ll use things, it will give you a general sense of how many people care and what they most want to see in a gym (note: response rates to surveys are generally terrible, but in this case that will be useful - the employees that take the time to fill out and respond to the survey will be the ones who care most about using the gym, so the feedback you do get will likely come from the people who will use it).

This would also show your dad that you’re taking the planning seriously, and may be useful in justifying the specific items you ultimately purchase. You need not worry as appearing to be a kid with a rich daddy who was getting a $10K lesson in business; it was obvious to the upright-walking mammals posting in this thread that you meant your father, a business owner, would offer roughly a $10K budget to equip an office gym because he felt that this was potentially a worthwhile perk to offer his employees, and he had given you the responsibility of outlining the equipment which could fit within said budget.

Oh, but for one thing in Emily’s post: it’s a “kettlebell” not “kettle ball” - and if you say that again, Emily, so help me God, I will bring down the fire on you, too. As carbidiass just reminded us all, THIS IS NOT A SAFE SPACE. It’s TESTOSTERONE NATION, baby. Do NOT come into this house if you can’t take the heat. IT’S THE ONLY WAY WE GET STRONGER. Flogging each other on the Internet shapes better people. Learning is a painful process. Without paint there can be no learning, a great philosopher once said. All this shit makes for a better person, you feel me? I hope you are a better person as a result of this Internet-beatdown over your use of the wrong term for kettlebell. Go forth and harden up.

Oh, sorry, my bad! I don’t use KETTLEBELLS because I’m made of sterner stuff, but you guys who do use them look absolutely adorable swinging them around. I particularly enjoy that hip-snap thing you do when you pull it out from between your legs. Sassy!*

*Kidding, I actually do a similar thing with a dumbbell.

The internetz. Sometimes it gets like this-

Bring the PainT!!!:grimacing:

Thanks @ActivitiesGuy. I hate being that guy all the time, but lawsuits are real. Maybe I should be an attorney.

OP @jboy99 . It might be simpler to outline a worst case scenario and buy coverage for that. Seemingly healthy people die working out every day (Jim Fix). A widowed spouse with two kids at home won’t be understanding and won’t appreciate your dad was trying to provide a super cool fringe benefit. With the right attorney and judge she could bankrupt your dad.

@jboy99 have you considered getting a PT cert?

He’s 17 sheesh.

got to start somewhere. Having a qualified PT around the work gym could be a nice little earner for him

I talked about this with him last night. We’ve been sued once before for an injury, so we have coverage for injuries, does that cover it? Also, I’m going got talk to our lawyer and get him to write up a disclaimer that all would have to sign. Would that be sufficient?

I actually do want to get one myself. Within the next 5 years it’s one of my goals, but I gotta get stronger so they can actually take me for serious lol. I haven’t really looked into yet though…

He is. All this talk actually started when i started talking about getting a gym membership with the employees - he was dead against it and said he would far prefer to have a gym at the premises.

Definitely a good point. I’m going to talk to the lawyer. I’m hoping a waiver will be all we need…

I’m good friends with about 80% of the people that will be using the gym, so while I might not do a formal survey, I’m definitely going to ask for their opinions, maybe ask them to give me a list of what they would like. That’s essentially why i started this thread, to see what other people, apart from me, like. Just trying to compile a list that satisfies most people.

Don’t ask me ask a competent attorney in your state. Matter of fact, go to an independently owned gym in your area. Explain to the owner what you’re trying to do. Offer to buy him lunch so you can pick his brain about his liability coverage and what attorney he used. The free food and beer should have him spilling all his secrets. When you flatter business owners and tell them you want to learn from them they will happily be your mentor.

I go to a non-BB or powerlifter gym, and there are only 2 barbells. I’m one of 2 people who use them, the owner of the gym being the other one.

Similar, the gym at my corporate office has no barbells or platforms. Lots of cardio, and they get used a lot. Personally I don’t like it, but not everybody lifts heavy weights (not that the weights I lift are “heavy” compared to others around here).

You mentioned that most people are beginners, I highly doubt they will be getting in a squat rack or doing anything on a deadlift platform. You could maybe include one rack, one or two benches and dumbells, but most likely people would be using stationary bikes and/or treadmills. It would be easy to include a pull up bar with rings/TRX.

I think you should talk to people about what they would want and what they would use either through a survey (as mentioned) or one-on-one conversations if the staff is small. The lifting community here is not a good sample of what most people do at a gym.

Edit: @ActivitiesGuy simply liking my post and not bringing the fire? How will I get stronger?

I have reverted back to “protector bitch” mode.

Any one thread can only contain so much hard.

We have reached our fill.

Please proceed to conjugate with the lions.

“You made me hard. You made me hard. So hard. You got me so hard. There was a moment where I stopped being hard… but I thought of you, and it got me hard again. And I can’t ever thank you.” -Mayo