T Nation

Ivan Abadzhiev Is Coaching In CA

This has to be the biggest thing to happen to Olympic Lifting in the United States.

The greatest coach in the history of the sport is now coaching the American Weightlifting Team!

http://americanweightlifting.org/profile_director.htm

The videos of the lifters are awesome with big Nikolay on YouTube as well.

Here is his 190kg snatch

Interesting.

I had heard Abadzhiev was in Cali to do some coaching, but I did not know he was going to take a leading role with the US olympic team. This should be interesting.

Of course, what probably sets our O-lifting apart (back?) from the powers in the sport is probably not so much the individual coaching but the lack of an infrastructure that would give the opportunity to large numbers of young 'uns to try the sport and thereby enable coaches first to identify elite potential and then develop that potential.

But having Abadzhiev here should help regardless. Let’s hope so.

Ajax,

You are very right to say that the infrastructure is not in place in the USA to create top athletes in the sport.

However that is why the people that brought Ivan over from Bulgaria are now seeking new American athletes to join the team (you can see that on the site and apply if you want).

They hope to create an atmosphere that will bread new top level athletes in the sport, along with teach the importance that the O-Lifts can have across many different sports.

[quote]Torelli wrote:
This has to be the biggest thing to happen to Olympic Lifting in the United States.

The greatest coach in the history of the sport is now coaching the American Weightlifting Team!

americanweightlifting.org/profile_director.htm

Here is his 190kg snatch

[/quote]

one other thing ! what is the point in competing in 08. there is not a single guy on the team from the US! all of them are from Bulgaria. fucking money, fucking idiots from Bulgaria!!!

[quote]Torelli wrote:

Here is his 190kg snatch

[/quote]

Looks like he did that lift at FIT in Los Altos. I plan to go there and train with Earwicker. Is that where you train?

Yes the lift was done at FIT in Los Altos at the NorCal Open that was held there. Nikolay did a 190 kg (418lbs) Snatch and 230 kg (506lbs) Clean and Jerk.

The guys train mostly in Danville right now. They are looking to open a new facility in the area by August to handle the increase in lifters.

[quote]GermanPower wrote:
Torelli wrote:

americanweightlifting.org/profile_director.htm

Here is his 190kg snatch

one other thing ! what is the point in competing in 08. there is not a single guy on the team from the US! all of them are from Bulgaria. fucking money, fucking idiots from Bulgaria!!! [/quote]

Well, Two of the three lifters right now are going to lift for the USA (as it states on their profile pages). David was born in the USA and Nikolay is currently becoming a citizen to compete in the superheavyweight category.

What is the relation between ‘americanweightlifting.org’ that abadzhiev is now coaching for and the US olympic team at the OTC?
-k

[quote]kane101nod wrote:
What is the relation between ‘americanweightlifting.org’ that abadzhiev is now coaching for and the US olympic team at the OTC?
-k[/quote]

none - but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
about a month and a half ago chris leroux from weightliftingexchange posted a excerpt from the IWF to usaw.
here it is -

IV. Whereabouts of Mr. Ivan Abadjev of Bulgaria. Dr. Tamas Aj�?¡n, the President of the IWF is asking USA Weightlifting for any information on the whereabouts of Mr. Abadjev and 2-3 accompanying athletes who are currently in the U.S. If anyone has any information, you are asked to contact the National Office, President Dennis Snethen or any member of the Board of Directors ASAP.

Dr. Aj�?¡n has made it clear that Mr. Abadjevâ�?��?�s preparation and coaching methods are completely unacceptable for the IWF and are opposed to the WADA and IWF Anti-Doping Codes. Mr. Abadjev is to have no opportunities to work with our athletes and coaches at this time. Thank you for your assistance.

I don’t know what has changed between now and then, but if they have started a website, I imagine things must have gotten better…

[quote]MikeSh wrote:
kane101nod wrote:
-k

none - but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
about a month and a half ago chris leroux from weightliftingexchange posted a excerpt from the IWF to usaw.
here it is -

IV. Whereabouts of Mr. Ivan Abadjev of Bulgaria. Dr. Tamas Aj�?¡n, the President of the IWF is asking USA Weightlifting for any information on the whereabouts of Mr. Abadjev and 2-3 accompanying athletes who are currently in the U.S. If anyone has any information, you are asked to contact the National Office, President Dennis Snethen or any member of the Board of Directors ASAP.

Dr. Aj�?¡n has made it clear that Mr. Abadjevâ�?��?�s preparation and coaching methods are completely unacceptable for the IWF and are opposed to the WADA and IWF Anti-Doping Codes. Mr. Abadjev is to have no opportunities to work with our athletes and coaches at this time. Thank you for your assistance.

I don’t know what has changed between now and then, but if they have started a website, I imagine things must have gotten better…[/quote]

Yes, things have gotten better since then. Dr. Tamas Aj and Ivan have not gotten along since Abadjeiv turned him down to train the Hungarians in the 1990’s. Top Olympic Lifters in that area of the world are worth big bucks (also in China, Qatar, etc…). The coach (Alex Krachiev) contacted USA Weightlifting and told them Abadjeiv was with him in the San Francisco Bay Area and USA Weightlifting was very glad to have him in the country.

In fact people such as Jim Schimtz, and others are estatic Ivan is here.

Well, if he and the imported lifters aren’t associated with USOTC…i wonder who foots the bill for this entire endeavor? buying Olympic medals ain’t cheap these days

[quote]Torelli wrote:

http://americanweightlifting.org/profile_director.htm

Here is his 190kg snatch

[/quote]

His snatch was decent, but that was the sloppiest fucking technique I have ever seen in the C&J and the kid can do 230kg. Fucking genetics. I hate him, but in a respectful way.

Yes, Nikolay says that C&J was “very bad” his best is either 240 or 250 I can’t remember right now. I honestly have watched them lift several time a week for the past 6 months and have never seen him screw up that badly.

Here are some cool pics of the guys from training. This is Martin who just had surgery on his wrist. He weighs 215lbs and this is about 615lbs

Here is David warming up on the Snatch

Nikolay Front Squatting

What is Nikolay’s age?

Nikolay is 26

Good luck team USA>

Now that you have the most brilliant coach of all time, might be a little harder for me.

[quote]Torelli wrote:

The guys train mostly in Danville right now. They are looking to open a new facility in the area by August to handle the increase in lifters.

[/quote]

Is Abadzhiev over in Danville also? I would have thought he might be over working with Schmitz in South City.

Abadzhiev is in Danville, Schmitz met Ivan at the NorCal Event, but that is the only time I know of. Jim is very excited Ivan is in the USA though.