T Nation

IV Injection Technique

seeing as I will soon be embarking on IV injections, can someone tell me how accurate this article is? Thanks in advance.

How to perform an intravenous injection
DISCLAIMER: Do not do this.

The following describes a procedure for self-administration of sterile chemicals into a vein.

Injecting into a vein is considerably more complicated and considerably more dangerous than other types of injection. That said, proper technique can at least minimize the possible damage.

Tourniquet:
To get the veins to rise to a level at which you can hit them, you will need a tourniquet.
It is important to choose a gentle tourniquet, as something too tight or hard could damage your delicate veins.
Rubber tubing is preferable. Other equivalents will suffice.
When tying the tourniquet, tuck it in upon itself or use a self-tightening loop. You want the tourniquet to be able to slip off.

Veins:
Your veins are precious and they will not last forever if you wantonly stick needles in them.
Veins contain valves to prevent the backflow of blood. Hitting a valve can cause irreparable damage to the vein, even leading to vein collapse.

To find the valve:
Press your finger on the vein and run it slowly down its length.
You should see a point where blood stops (i.e, the vein appears to stop as your finger passes that point).
When you lift your finger, blood should flow again past that point.
That point contains a valve.

Technique:
Wash hands and injection site with antibacterial soap.
Clean injection site with isopropyl alcohol.
Wrap the tourniquet around your arm just above the injection site.
Insert the needle at a 45 degree angle with the vein. You are injecting WITH the flow of the vein (which flows towards the heart). If you are hitting a vein in your arm, the needle will point towards the elbow

Pull back the plunger slightly to test for blood. If their is no blood, pull it out - you missed. If the blood is bright red, foamy, and has considerable pressure behind it, pull out and apply direct pressure - you hit an artery, you don’t want it there. (Hitting an artery is generally unlikely unless you are going for deep veins.)
If the blood is dark, you’re there.

REMOVE THE TOURNIQUET. Injecting while a tourniquet is tied will cause too much pressure to build and may cause the vein to burst.
Slowly push in plunger and administer chemical.
Pull out and apply pressure with clean gauze.
Keeping wound above heart will facilitate clotting and minimize bruising.
Put a band-aid on it.

Sounds good, if complicated, to me. I just use a plain old belt of a tourniquet, and sit on it to tighten, lift up my leg to let it go loosen it. Rubber tubing as the article suggests will be more, erm, professional, obviously. I don’t know about releasing the tourniquet before injecting. You’ve only got two hands, one of them is holding a needles and the other is busy getting stuck.

Unless you have a partner helping you or are injecting large volumes, I would not worry too much about this. If you have rather protrusive veins to begin with a tourniquet is not necessary at all. I do not use one every time, but I do find it helps to “secure” the vein in place, as it tends to slip away from the needle as you try to inject otherwise.

45 degrees is important, I feel it’s more somewhere between 30 and 45 degrees. This was the part I messed up the most on when I first began injecting IV.

Don’t jiggle the needle around and you won’t get any bruising even injecting four or five times a day. One, steady pierce in and out and you can poke yourself quite a few times without ending up looking like Bubbles. This did require learning curve, however, and I occasionally had to poke myself upward to 10 times (no joking!) before finally drawing blood. I hardly every have to poke more than once anymore.

You don’t need a band-aid!

I also agree, 45 degrees is too much. I am closer to 30 degrees.

I have never used a tourniquet.

I must have been lucky, I got it my first try, and have never missed.

You won’t need a band-aid, 29-30g needles wont leave a hole big enough to bleed.

Okay, great! So you guys didn’t check for valves or what not? Also 2 other questions…

Would diluting my vials of GH 8iu with 80units (.8mL) of diluent be acceptable?

WRT the diluent, should I only use USP “Sterile water for Injection” or will Bacterialstatic water work?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Detroitlionsbaby wrote:

Would diluting my vials of GH 8iu with 80units (.8mL) of diluent be acceptable?
[/quote]

That’s exactly the ratio I use for mine. Makes the math easy.

BBB, I’ve been using self-made BA water for a few months now. Is this a strong recommendation against you are making? I’ve not had any problems so far, though I did question putting BA, even such a tiny bit, directly into my bloodstream. I would use NaCl, but it’s one of those things that makes no sense but is nearly impossible to acquire here.

This may be a stupid question…but. I pre-load two slin pins, with 5 and 5 iu. Im spreading out my shots of course and going the IV route and by aspirating the plunger you want to get blood correct. Problem, what happens if all the blood doesnt go back, but stays in the pin, with the rest of the precious hgh? Please tell me its still all good?