It's Who You Listen To

G’day

I would echo what Tate and Kroc are saying here.

bump

Damn. That’s like 90% of my posts on this site.

Amazingly, 9 years of posting later, I am still waiting on the “guru-fanboys” to make even a 10th of the progress of that made by people who actually do listen to the people who reached the goal they are after instead of “internet author #5”.

Their advice could save someone months (or even years) of wasted time and money.

EDIT: “Kettle bells HAHAHAA!!”

That was gold.

[quote]ignignokt wrote:
Their advice could save someone months (or even years) of wasted time and money.

EDIT: “Kettle bells HAHAHAA!!”

That was gold.[/quote]

Yeah, but their advice has been said over and over on this site to no avail.

I think people are attracted to what is shiny and new. That is why so many lemmings were using kettlebells years back.

I bet if one of these authors mentioned drinking your own piss is the latest and greatest way to get shredded, piss drinking would be the new fad across the forum for at least 6 months.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Yeah, but their advice has been said over and over on this site to no avail.
[/quote]

Yes, I know. But it is much, much easier to change lifting routines and diet than up discipline.

I love it when I read a post from “150 pound guy” waiting for the magic supplement “anaconda” or whatever it is called. Hoping the new pill, powder or spray finally helps them “breakthrough”.

People are lazy. The path of least resistance is the path most people take.

Disclaimer: I’m not implying I’m “Mr. Discipline” or have “broken through” myself. Just pointing out my own observations. I certainly have my own shortcomings that I struggle with each day.

Preach on Dave and Matt!! I just don’t understand why people choose not to emulate the people who have achieved what they desire.

If I’m in the gym and I see a guy who is 275+ lb. and throwing around massive weight, I’m going to ask him how he got there instead of the 180lb “trainer.”

I love hearing what these guys have to say. Very motivational.

I agree for the most part but there are top coaches who have 100’s of clients who say most people definitely shouldn’t train like the pro’s because they obviously can’t handle the same volume and/or frequency that a genetic freak on steroids can. The coaches I’m talking about are also really strong, experienced, big, etc…

I think the problem is patience, or the lack thereof. “Eat and train” (for example)takes a long time, so when one is new to lifting and wants shirt-bursting arms ASAP, he looks for the “secret”. A few months later(years for the truly daft), it finally becomes clear that, as with most things in life, simpler is better. And much quicker.

[quote]pumped340 wrote:
I agree for the most part but there are top coaches who have 100’s of clients who say most people definitely shouldn’t train like the pro’s because they obviously can’t handle the same volume and/or frequency that a genetic freak on steroids can. The coaches I’m talking about are also really strong, experienced, big, etc…[/quote]

One thing with this line of thinking bothers me…for one, why would anyone look at the routine that Ronnie Coleman is doing while weighing 300lbs in the off season and assume they need to do exactly the same?

When we say listen to the people who achieved success or have come closer to your goal, we don’t mean be a dumbass and start eating 11,000cals a day because you read that Jay Cutler does it to maintain his present body weight.

We don’t mean do 30 sets for biceps just because you heard that Lee Priest does it for his mega-sized arms.

It means follow the BASICS that they followed because that is what produces results.

If you want big strong arms but are avoided ever working them directly because you read from some 165lbs personal trainer that it isn’t needed, you aren’t too bright if the majority of poeople with HUGE arms did train them directly.

It means follow the BASICS that they followed because that is what produces results.

[/quote]

Just to expand on this a bit. Matt says “do what they did” not “do what they do” If someone is progressed to point R in their training someone starting at point A would be foolish to jump to that point. Yet how many people do you see in the gym carrying around an issue of MD with Insert Pro’s name here chest routine?

This video and Dave’s indicators video should be required viewing for anyone asking the bulk or cut question.

pumped340 wrote:
I agree for the most part but there are top coaches who have 100’s of clients who say most people definitely shouldn’t train like the pro’s because they obviously can’t handle the same volume and/or frequency that a genetic freak on steroids can. The coaches I’m talking about are also really strong, experienced, big, etc…

One thing with this line of thinking bothers me…for one, why would anyone look at the routine that Ronnie Coleman is doing while weighing 300lbs in the off season and assume they need to do exactly the same?

When we say listen to the people who achieved success or have come closer to your goal, we don’t mean be a dumbass and start eating 11,000cals a day because you read that Jay Cutler does it to maintain his present body weight.

We don’t mean do 30 sets for biceps just because you heard that Lee Priest does it for his mega-sized arms.

If you want big strong arms but are avoided ever working them directly because you read from some 165lbs personal trainer that it isn’t needed, you aren’t too bright if the majority of poeople with HUGE arms did train them directly.[/quote]

Exactly, they never once said, do exactly what we do and you will be jacked. They said start with the basics and tweak as you go and find out what works the best for you, since weightlifting is not a direct science.

[quote]Aggro wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Just to expand on this a bit. Matt says “do what they did” not “do what they do” If someone is progressed to point R in their training someone starting at point A would be foolish to jump to that point. Yet how many people do you see in the gym carrying around an issue of MD with Insert Pro’s name here chest routine?

This video and Dave’s indicators video should be required viewing for anyone asking the bulk or cut question.[/quote]

That is why Prof’s thread “Professor X: A request” is so damn valuable. Because he mentions what he has been doing since point A.

Would be cool if I could find some material on what the top BB’rs today used to do earlier in their career also.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Aggro wrote:
Professor X wrote:

This video and Dave’s indicators video should be required viewing for anyone asking the bulk or cut question.

That is why Prof’s thread “Professor X: A request” is so damn valuable. Because he mentions what he has been doing since point A.

Would be cool if I could find some material on what the top BB’rs today used to do earlier in their career also.[/quote]

Ate a lot of food and lifted heavy shit?

[quote]dre wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
Aggro wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Would be cool if I could find some material on what the top BB’rs today used to do earlier in their career also.

Ate a lot of food and lifted heavy shit?[/quote]

But…did they rest for exactly 120 seconds between sets or exactly 3 minutes? This is clearly the most important aspect of getting huge…stopwatches.

…and carrots.

dre wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
Aggro wrote:
Professor X wrote:

But…did they rest for exactly 120 seconds between sets or exactly 3 minutes? This is clearly the most important aspect of getting huge…stopwatches.

…and carrots.[/quote]

DAMN IT!

runs to buy carrots

dre wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
Aggro wrote:
Professor X wrote:

…and carrots.[/quote]

carrots are for CUTTING Prof, bananas are where it’s at for bulking. True story.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

Would be cool if I could find some material on what the top BB’rs today used to do earlier in their career also.[/quote]

Believe me when I say that I try to pour through most of PX’s posts. Just like I do with Gerdy’s and several others. I’d like to think that there are more like me, the silent lurkers that don’t get too caught up in the 150 pound experts and their scientific minutiae theories.