It's Lose, Not Loose!

[quote]tedro wrote:
JokerFMJ wrote:
I correct people on that all the time and usually they argue with me… It’s quite funny actually. =D

I think one that bothers me the most is “supposebly”…

Supposably is a word. Were you just pointing out the misspelling?[/quote]

It is a word. But it’s rarely used in the manner that it’s supposed to be used. It’s most frequently used in place of “supposedly”. The two words are not interchangeable.

What Loose Tool said.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:

It is a word. But it’s rarely used in the manner that it’s supposed to be used. It’s most frequently used in place of “supposedly”. The two words are not interchangeable.

[/quote]

Agreed, though I love it when somebody is trying to act smart and tells me it is not a word.

My pet peeve is when somebody says you can’t do good on a paper. Suppose you are standing on a paper while you hand a glass of water to a thirsty person. Or suppose you are kneeling on a paper while you perform CPR on someone who needs it, and save that person’s life. Aren’t those both examples of doing good on a paper?

olololz!1! u guyz u just teh gay :)))

I do like using 1337 though, it’s fun.

This thread does not deliver.

[quote]mazevedo wrote:
your an idiot and a looser. Their is no need for this thread and noone is going to listen. I hate it when people think there better then others because they can spell and use correct grammer.

How many fuck ups in that?[/quote]

All of them. Awesome. :slight_smile:

[quote]tedro wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:

Agreed, though I love it when somebody is trying to act smart and tells me it is not a word.
[/quote]

Yeah, but it’s funny when people say it is a word and then spell it “supposebly” because like Loose Tool said, they think it’s the same word but with a b.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Cortes wrote:
malonetd wrote:

I don’t think complaining online is going to effect people’s usage.

I think you mean “affect.”

Oh! Burn! That’s what I’m…ok I’m just joking.

But seriously, affect would be the appropriate verb in this case.

:slight_smile:

Actually, no. I did that on purpose. I like to use “effect” in the verb tense to upset amateur grammar nazis.

If someone is going to correct my grammar, he should try to be right.[/quote]

The verb tense? Are there tenses for other parts of speech?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Cortes wrote:
malonetd wrote:

Actually, no. I did that on purpose. I like to use “effect” in the verb tense to upset amateur grammar nazis.

If someone is going to correct my grammar, he should try to be right.[/quote]

It really wasn’t my intent to engage you in debate. I have always liked your posts and I was honestly just ribbing you. That said, yours is not the correct verb usage.“Effect change,” or “effect a revolution in thought” are correct usages in this case. The verb “effect” means “to bring about.” You can’t “bring about” people’s usage.

“Affect” mean “to change,” which is the only way your sentence could be read and still make sense.

Does this mean I don’t have to be an “amateur grammar nazi” anymore?

Shamelessy lifted from an email my wife sent to me:

These days, we tend to communicate via the keyboard as much as we do verbally. Often, we’re in a hurry, quickly dashing off e-mails with typos, grammatical shortcuts (I’m being kind here), and that breezy, e.e. cummings, no-caps look. It’s expected. It’s no big deal. But other times, we try to invest a little care, avoiding mistakes so that there’s no confusion about what we’re saying and so that we look professional and reasonably bright.

In general, we can slip up in a verbal conversation and get away with it. A colleague may be thinking, Did she just say “irregardless”?, but the words flow on, and our worst transgressions are carried away and with luck, forgotten.

That’s not the case with written communications. When we commit a grammatical crime in e-mails, discussion posts, reports, memos, and other professional documents, there’s no going back. We’ve just officially gone on record as being careless or clueless. And here’s the worst thing. It’s not necessary to be an editor or a language whiz or a spelling bee triathlete to spot such mistakes. They have a way of doing a little wiggle dance on the screen and then reaching out to grab the reader by the throat.

So here we are in the era of Word’s red-underline “wrong spelling, dumb ass” feature and Outlook’s Always Check Spelling Before Sending option, and still the mistakes proliferate. Catching typos is easy (although not everyone does it). It’s the other stuff – correctly spelled but incorrectly wielded – that sneaks through and makes us look stupid. Here’s a quick review of some of the big ones.

#1: Loose for lose

No: I always loose the product key.

Yes: I always lose the product key.

#2: It’s for its (or god forbid, its’)

No: Download the HTA, along with it’s readme file.

Yes: Download the HTA, along with its readme file.

No: The laptop is overheating and its making that funny noise again.

Yes: The laptop is overheating and it’s making that funny noise again.

#3: They’re for their for there

No: The managers are in they’re weekly planning meeting.

Yes: The managers are in their weekly planning meeting.

No: The techs have to check there cell phones at the door, and their not happy about it.

Yes: The techs have to check their cell phones at the door, and they’re not happy about it.

#4: i.e. for e.g.

No: Use an anti-spyware program (i.e., Ad-Aware).

Yes: Use an anti-spyware program (e.g., Ad-Aware).

Note: The term i.e. means “that is”; e.g. means “for example.” And a comma follows both of them.

#5: Effect for affect

No: The outage shouldn’t effect any users during work hours.

Yes: The outage shouldn’t affect any users during work hours.

Yes: The outage shouldn’t have any effect on users.

Yes: We will effect several changes during the downtime.

Note: Impact is not a verb. Purists, at least, beg you to use affect instead:

No: The outage shouldn’t impact any users during work hours.

Yes: The outage shouldn’t affect any users during work hours.

Yes: The outage should have no impact on users during work hours.

#6: You’re for your

No: Remember to defrag you’re machine on a regular basis.

Yes: Remember to defrag your machine on a regular basis.

No: Your right about the changes.

Yes: You’re right about the changes.

#7: Different than for different from

No: This setup is different than the one at the main office.

Yes: This setup is different from the one at the main office.

Yes: This setup is better than the one at the main office.

#8 Lay for lie

No: I got dizzy and had to lay down.

Yes: I got dizzy and had to lie down.

Yes: Just lay those books over there.

#9: Then for than

No: The accounting department had more problems then we did.

Yes: The accounting department had more problems than we did.

Note: Here’s a sub-peeve. When a sentence construction begins with If, you don’t need a then. Then is implicit, so it’s superfluous and wordy:

No: If you can’t get Windows to boot, then you’ll need to call Ted.

Yes: If you can’t get Windows to boot, you’ll need to call Ted.

#10: Could of, would of for could have, would have

No: I could of installed that app by mistake.

Yes: I could have installed that app by mistake.

No: I would of sent you a meeting notice, but you were out of town.

Yes: I would have sent you a meeting notice, but you were out of town.

Bonus peeve

I’ll just throw one more thing out here: My current burning pet peeve. At some point, who knows when, it became common practice to say that something is “hit and miss.” Nuh-UH. It can’t be both, right? It either hits or it misses… “Hit OR miss.” Granted, it’s a small thing, a Boolean-obsessive sort of thing. But it’s nonetheless vexing because it’s so illogical. Okay, that’s mine. If you’ve got a peeve of your own, share it in the discussion (or post a comment and tell me to get over it).

I’ve just about given up on the who/whom distinction, which I think is being written out of the English language. However, if you’re old school, “who” is subjective and “whom” is objective.

Example: Whoever did this is in trouble. - The “Whoever” is the doer of action.

Example: Tim, please pass on these tips to whomever you think could use them. – Tim is the doer of the action, and “whomever” is the receiver of the action.

[quote]Dr.PowerClean wrote:
I admit I also dislike the gradual degradation of the English language, affected by many trends including rap and text messaging just to name two.

But, GUYS, for me one of the greatest pleasures of going to gyms (real gyms, not the new faux fitness gyms) was that it was a place for men to train hard, curse, grunt, bleed, and collectively inspire each other to go to the limit. It was, and still is, to me an "anti-intellectual" experience, where noboby gives a shit about syntax, spelling or other grammactical issues. Words uttered prior to max lifts are often cut, corrupted, and uttered with more force than accuracy.

Should an internet forum on weight training be held to a higher standard? WTF?         Doc[/quote]

I agree - in the gym. But who is posting from the gym?

I know this isn’t grammar but it can be funny when people say common phrases wrong. I worked with this one guy who was so chronic with butchering of phrases we began to call them Davidisms.

“Resting on our laurels” became… (and he was arguing with someone at the time) “I am not here sitting on my loins.” (oooh I laughed at that.)

“Things have gone awry” now… “things have gone aloof.”

“flagrant disregard” now… “fragrant disregard”

there was a huge list that I wish I still had

I wouldn’t have called them “davidisms” I would’ve called him stupid. =D

[quote]Cortes wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Cortes wrote:
malonetd wrote:

If someone is going to correct my grammar, he should try to be right.

It really wasn’t my intent to engage you in debate. I have always liked your posts and I was honestly just ribbing you. That said, yours is not the correct verb usage.“Effect change,” or “effect a revolution in thought” are correct usages in this case. The verb “effect” means “to bring about.” You can’t “bring about” people’s usage.

“Affect” mean “to change,” which is the only way your sentence could be read and still make sense.

Does this mean I don’t have to be an “amateur grammar nazi” anymore?

[/quote]

Yeah, you’re right. I used effect incorrectly. It sat and re-wrote that sentence a couple different times trying to use effect as a verb that would apply to this thread, but, being in a hurry to submit my post, I failed. It’s just that so many people fail to even realize that effect is also a verb. There are so many grammar nazis online(I won’t label you one, you can decide on you’re own if you want to be one.) that fail to realize languages evolve. Plus, they’re often wrong or off-base with their corrections.

[quote]Lycurgus wrote:
The verb tense? Are there tenses for other parts of speech?[/quote]

Yes, there are different verb tenses. Jump, jumped, jumping. But you’re right; it’s not what I meant here.

See, this is why I avoid going out of my to correct someone. You never know when you will make your own stupid mistake.

i dont no wat u ppl r complaining bout i fink its ok to write howevr u want theirs nuffing wrong wit typing lyk this coz its easy ur al a buch of loosers n ur lucky its d internet or i would of smackd u in da hed if u said im dum 2 my face i dont need 2 speel or use dose dots or funny simbolz!!!

I think it is important to have rules for spelling, as it makes written communication a lot easier. However, I get annoyed when anyone tries to claim authority over language. English is a living language. For example, the dipshits who try to tell you “ain’t” isn’t a word. If it is in general use, and has a commonly agreed upon meaning then it is a word. If it isn’t in the dictionary, then the dictionary is deficient.

FYI, til is a word. It doesn’t need an appostrophy. Until is a perversion, sort of like unto. People used to add an “Un” to words to sound fancy. Example “I shall give the penis unto her.”

By the way, Cortes, is that your name or do you admire the Conquistador?