T Nation

It's Lose, Not Loose!

Irregardless, their is to much bitching in this thread.

[quote]malonetd wrote:

Since when does a colloquialism have a correct/incorrect usage?
[/quote]

When the original grammatically correct idiom becomes corrupted by lazy morons who can’t grasp the fact that, grammatically, the sentence they have hijacked means the opposite of the intended one.

[quote]

I think some people are anal just for the sake of being anal.[/quote]

No. 1f i tlk lk tis al teh taym uh fundementl barier 2 cnvrstion wll evntaly mterialayz ovr taym.

Grammar and standardized spelling were created for a reason. They aid in communication. And it is becoming a very slippery slope here lately.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Grammar and standardized spelling were created for a reason. They aid in communication. And it is becoming a very slippery slope here lately.
[/quote]

I agree. Has anyone seen that movie Idiocracy?

[quote]malonetd wrote:

I don’t think complaining online is going to effect people’s usage.[/quote]

I think you mean “affect.”

Oh! Burn! That’s what I’m…ok I’m just joking.

But seriously, affect would be the appropriate verb in this case.

:slight_smile:

[quote]Cortes wrote:
malonetd wrote:

I don’t think complaining online is going to effect people’s usage.

I think you mean “affect.”

Oh! Burn! That’s what I’m…ok I’m just joking.

But seriously, affect would be the appropriate verb in this case.

:)[/quote]

Dam, ewe beet me too it.

I admit I also dislike the gradual degradation of the English language, affected by many trends including rap and text messaging just to name two.

But, GUYS, for me one of the greatest pleasures of going to gyms (real gyms, not the new faux fitness gyms) was that it was a place for men to train hard, curse, grunt, bleed, and collectively inspire each other to go to the limit. It was, and still is, to me an "anti-intellectual" experience, where noboby gives a shit about syntax, spelling or other grammactical issues. Words uttered prior to max lifts are often cut, corrupted, and uttered with more force than accuracy.

 Should an internet forum on weight training be held to a higher standard? WTF?         Doc

[quote]Dr.PowerClean wrote:
I admit I also dislike the gradual degradation of the English language, affected by many trends including rap and text messaging just to name two.

But, GUYS, for me one of the greatest pleasures of going to gyms (real gyms, not the new faux fitness gyms) was that it was a place for men to train hard, curse, grunt, bleed, and collectively inspire each other to go to the limit. It was, and still is, to me an "anti-intellectual" experience, where noboby gives a shit about syntax, spelling or other grammactical issues. Words uttered prior to max lifts are often cut, corrupted, and uttered with more force than accuracy.

 Should an internet forum on weight training be held to a higher standard? WTF?         Doc[/quote]

I have never actually heard somebody say, “I want to loose weight.” When I see that online, I just ignore everything else because it is obvious the poster isn’t too intelligent.

But irregardless of that, I could care less if there a idiot.

[quote]Dr.PowerClean wrote:
Should an internet forum on weight training be held to a higher standard? WTF? Doc[/quote]

Rarely are any of the posts that confuse “loose” and “lose” max efforts.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
The only one that really gets me is “I could care less” … The correct way to do it is “I couldnt care less.” The first one implies that you do in fact care, and COULD care less than you currently do, while the second implies you care so little, it would not be possible to care less than you do.[/quote]

I correct people on that all the time and usually they argue with me… It’s quite funny actually. =D

I think one that bothers me the most is “supposebly”…

[quote]tedro wrote:
I have never actually heard somebody say, “I want to loose weight.” When I see that online, I just ignore everything else because it is obvious the poster isn’t too intelligent.

But irregardless of that, I could care less if there a idiot.[/quote]

I do the same thing with irregardless… But I laugh first then move on.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
playmaker08 wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:
The only one that really gets me is “I could care less” … The correct way to do it is “I couldnt care less.” The first one implies that you do in fact care, and COULD care less than you currently do, while the second implies you care so little, it would not be possible to care less than you do.

That gets to me as well, I do not think I have ever heard it said correctly making me think that the wrong way actually is the right way. Nonetheless I still stuck to my guns.

This is enlightening.
To and too.
alot.
Their, they’re and there.
How about misuse of the word anxious? CT, CW, Alwyn or whomever writes an article and some of the replies say, “I am so anxious to try this”. HUH? Anxious means troubled. Eager perhaps?

On another note, people saying flex and referring to muscle. HUH? Joints flex. Muscles contract.
[/quote]

a lot is supposed to be written as two words. :slight_smile:

Well, I found the word “anxious” defined as:
“Eagerly desirous”

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:

I think one that bothers me the most is “supposebly”…[/quote]

their just to dumb.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
malonetd wrote:

I don’t think complaining online is going to effect people’s usage.

I think you mean “affect.”

Oh! Burn! That’s what I’m…ok I’m just joking.

But seriously, affect would be the appropriate verb in this case.

:)[/quote]

Actually, no. I did that on purpose. I like to use “effect” in the verb tense to upset amateur grammar nazis.

If someone is going to correct my grammar, he should try to be right.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
The only one that really gets me is “I could care less” … The correct way to do it is “I couldnt care less.” The first one implies that you do in fact care, and COULD care less than you currently do, while the second implies you care so little, it would not be possible to care less than you do.[/quote]

“I could care less” is fucking classic!

My roommate’s essay was peer edited by one of his classmates. One of the comments she made on his paper (referring to two sentences): “Hard to connect one to the another one”

We are college freshmen…

[quote]mike402 wrote:
My roommate’s essay was peer edited by one of his classmates. One of the comments she made on his paper (referring to two sentences): “Hard to connect one to the another one”

We are college freshmen…[/quote]

Was she the same girl as in this link?

[quote]mazevedo wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:
The only one that really gets me is “I could care less” … The correct way to do it is “I couldnt care less.” The first one implies that you do in fact care, and COULD care less than you currently do, while the second implies you care so little, it would not be possible to care less than you do.

“I could care less” is fucking classic!

[/quote]

Damn right it is. It’s recognized by the Oxford dictionary as an American colloquialism.

[quote]mike402 wrote:
My roommate’s essay was peer edited by one of his classmates. One of the comments she made on his paper (referring to two sentences): “Hard to connect one to the another one”

We are college freshmen…[/quote]

Or was it her…

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
I correct people on that all the time and usually they argue with me… It’s quite funny actually. =D

I think one that bothers me the most is “supposebly”…[/quote]

Supposably is a word. Were you just pointing out the misspelling?