It's Bulking Season!

[quote]law8 wrote:
Okay Im 205 now.I’m aiming to be 230-240 by this time next year.I could say I bodypart to bring up but at this stage everything needs to go up.[/quote]

How tall are you?

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[quote]law8 wrote:
Okay Im 205 now.I’m aiming to be 230-240 by this time next year.I could say I bodypart to bring up but at this stage everything needs to go up.[/quote]

How tall are you?

[/quote]

I was actually going to ask this.Im 6:2 . I know I need to be a lot heavier for my height.Should I shoot for 230 in a year then do the same the next year or aim for a higher weight?

Man, I’d love to get my BW back up to 230 or so again. I hit it once but was super sloppy (and my BP etc was terrible) so I had to recomp a little to fix that. Starting at 212-215 today, I think I could make a solid 240 by Spring Break time March 2011. Its not a huge goal, but I work best in steps. Maybe my strength will keep going up too so I can manage some respectable poundages. I’m 6’2, and I got a lot of work to do bringing everything up.

[quote]law8 wrote:

[quote]law8 wrote:

How tall are you?

[/quote]

I was actually going to ask this.Im 6:2 . I know I need to be a lot heavier for my height.Should I shoot for 230 in a year then do the same the next year or aim for a higher weight?[/quote]

At 6’2 I think you’re closer to waylander than me (I’m 5’10, I don’t remember way’s height off-hand)…

Muscle-size -wise (and with very high likelihood also strength-wise) you’re basically a beginner, so gaining 40-50 lbs in a year without getting fat should be doable… If you have the resources (if not, try improvising) for the right diet etc…

I think 240-250 would be a decent goal for you… But don’t sweat it if you don’t make it there in a year or if you overshoot, just eat enough protein and enough total calories and train in a way which allows you to gain plenty of strength in 1-2 main exercises per muscle-group (that includes bis, tris and all that smaller stuff!) and you should be able to make it. Also learn about setup and execution…

It doesn’t necessarily happen in a linear path, of course… You may well gain 20 lbs in the next 2-3 months and then only 1-3 after that for a bit, then 10, then 2, whatever… Just adjust your diet and training and all that, react if something comes up! (joint/tendon pains? → Check exercise selection and volume/frequency first, also perhaps diet… Not gaining weight/strength? Eat more… Gaining weight with little strength? Eat more protein unless you’re already at 1.8-2g/lb… Check routine… etc).

Talk to way for a bit, considering that he’s your height and by now knows well enough how to gain both naturally and assisted… Read the “Professor X: a request” thread too (stickied)…

I’ll join in with you guys! Albeit to a limited extent… I’m limited to two meals a day on the weekend and three on the weekdays, so I guess I’ll do my best to broke them lol. I might need to dedicate 1-1/2 to 2 hours just for eating my meals lol.

Last I checked, I was around 185 (though I probably lost some… eating hasn’t been in check recently). I’m going to be reasonably conservative and shoot for something like 205-215 by the end of the year.

Specifically, I’d like to add a good deal more mass to my upper body… shit just doesn’t like to grow.

Strength wise, I’d like to see a 600 lb dead and a 500 lb squat and something >315 for bench. Currently at about 515/405/275 at something around 5’8"

[quote]wiggles wrote:
Man, I’d love to get my BW back up to 230 or so again. I hit it once but was super sloppy (and my BP etc was terrible) so I had to recomp a little to fix that. Starting at 212-215 today, I think I could make a solid 240 by Spring Break time March 2011. Its not a huge goal, but I work best in steps. Maybe my strength will keep going up too so I can manage some respectable poundages. I’m 6’2, and I got a lot of work to do bringing everything up.[/quote]

Yeah, tall guys will need quite a bit of muscle and overall bw for good numbers usually… If you have long arms you may be able to deadlift well enough, but bench etc can be an issue until you’re leverages don’t suck so much anymore…

Maybe post your diet (!) and routine in BOI, plus a lifting vid or two so we can check if there’s anything in your approach that could be improved?

[quote]A Ninny Mouse wrote:
I’ll join in with you guys! Albeit to a limited extent… I’m limited to two meals a day on the weekend and three on the weekdays, so I guess I’ll do my best to broke them lol. I might need to dedicate 1-1/2 to 2 hours just for eating my meals lol. [/quote] Oh, how come? That sucks man… I never managed to get down all that much in one meal, at least not back in the day… Always needed more meals, and having one ridiculously huge meal every 6-8 hours just makes me dead tired :slight_smile:
Good luck though… Can you get a hold of protein and carb powder? Some protein mix plus something like powdered/instant oats ? [quote]

Last I checked, I was around 185 (though I probably lost some… eating hasn’t been in check recently). I’m going to be reasonably conservative and shoot for something like 205-215 by the end of the year.

Specifically, I’d like to add a good deal more mass to my upper body… shit just doesn’t like to grow.

Strength wise, I’d like to see a 600 lb dead and a 500 lb squat and something >315 for bench. Currently at about 515/405/275 at something around 5’8"[/quote]

If you can make your diet work, I’m sure you’ll get there no problem.

I’ll join in with you guys! Albeit to a limited extent… I’m limited to two meals a day on the weekend and three on the weekdays, so I guess I’ll do my best to broke them lol. I might need to dedicate 1-1/2 to 2 hours just for eating my meals lol. [/quote] Oh, how come?
[/quote]

I’m guessing College. If it wasn’t for that fact that I had a couple of girls who seemed to actually like buying me food, I would have been stuck to that alone as well. I ended up eating about 5 times a day anyway though so maybe “ninny mouse” needs to learn to work his resources.

I dunno about calling it bulking season(winter actually tends to be my worst lifting time, which I think may be attributable to SAD, something I didn’t know about until recently and will attempt to fight with actual knowledge this time); but my shoulder(partially torn rotator cuff) seems to finally be ready for some man lifting and not rehab shit, so fuck ya bulking season!

Great Reply thanks!
I dont know what to say that pretty much answered any question I have or probably will soon to have in the future.

Thanks again CC.

6’2 now about 220lbs. I was 205 when summer started lol… But now I’m back in school looking to get to 240-250 without being a sloppy mess and still playing division 1 rugby.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I’ll join in with you guys! Albeit to a limited extent… I’m limited to two meals a day on the weekend and three on the weekdays, so I guess I’ll do my best to broke them lol. I might need to dedicate 1-1/2 to 2 hours just for eating my meals lol. [/quote] Oh, how come?
[/quote]

I’m guessing College. If it wasn’t for that fact that I had a couple of girls who seemed to actually like buying me food, I would have been stuck to that alone as well. I ended up eating about 5 times a day anyway though so maybe “ninny mouse” needs to learn to work his resources.[/quote]

So you had a couple of “feeders” in college, X? Some people have some crazy fetishes…

I won’t deny that I really need to get my shit down as far as food goes. That’s most likely what been keeping my progress slower than I would like. So yeah, while I may have been able to gain 20 lb or so despite relying on the meal plan alone, I realize I’ll need a great deal more in terms of foodstuff to go significantly farther.

[quote]wiggles wrote:
Man, I’d love to get my BW back up to 230 or so again. I hit it once but was super sloppy (and my BP etc was terrible) so I had to recomp a little to fix that. Starting at 212-215 today, I think I could make a solid 240 by Spring Break time March 2011. Its not a huge goal, but I work best in steps. Maybe my strength will keep going up too so I can manage some respectable poundages. I’m 6’2, and I got a lot of work to do bringing everything up.[/quote]

Yeah, tall guys will need quite a bit of muscle and overall bw for good numbers usually… If you have long arms you may be able to deadlift well enough, but bench etc can be an issue until you’re leverages don’t suck so much anymore…

Maybe post your diet (!) and routine in BOI, plus a lifting vid or two so we can check if there’s anything in your approach that could be improved?

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. As for my leverages, I’d guess pretty terrible. I have a 6’5 wingspan at 6’2 tall, and my bests for bench/squat/dead are 265/350/425 with a year’s worth of training. Squat and bench are the worst things to progress for me. I’m hoping this bulk can help me progress enough to max out my weight class for a push/pull meet here in december.

EDIT: Can’t post in the BOI, guess I’m not awesome enough…YET

[/quote]

I’m guessing College. If it wasn’t for that fact that I had a couple of girls who seemed to actually like buying me food, I would have been stuck to that alone as well. I ended up eating about 5 times a day anyway though so maybe “ninny mouse” needs to learn to work his resources.[/quote]

So you had a couple of “feeders” in college, X? Some people have some crazy fetishes…

I won’t deny that I really need to get my shit down as far as food goes. That’s most likely what been keeping my progress slower than I would like. So yeah, while I may have been able to gain 20 lb or so despite relying on the meal plan alone, I realize I’ll need a great deal more in terms of foodstuff to go significantly farther. [/quote]

I can tell you for sure that 8 or 9 out of 10 times I ran into trouble with my gains (i.e. strength moving up and down without any real net gain, or slow strength gains despite bodyweight gains, or recovery issues even with a conservative routine) it was due to my diet… Not pushing it further when I should have etc… Same for people I’ve helped with training.

Not so much talking about eating clean… I don’t do well on rice and chicken breasts at all (get bloated all to hell and can’t get down enough of the stuff to get in my calories)… But overall diet composition and overall calorie amounts…

[/quote]

I won’t deny that I really need to get my shit down as far as food goes. That’s most likely what been keeping my progress slower than I would like. So yeah, while I may have been able to gain 20 lb or so despite relying on the meal plan alone, I realize I’ll need a great deal more in terms of foodstuff to go significantly farther. [/quote]

If you can afford the extra couple bucks, I seriously advise dollar menu shopping for quick calorie boosts. I know all about the eating on a budget shit, and there are days where the time/money efficiency of a drive thru trip just can’t be matched(3 double cheeseburgers with no buns is a solid P&F meal, or fuck it keep the buns if you just need the calories that bad).

[quote]wiggles wrote:

[quote]wiggles wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. As for my leverages, I’d guess pretty terrible. I have a 6’5 wingspan at 6’2 tall, and my bests for bench/squat/dead are 265/350/425 with a year’s worth of training. Squat and bench are the worst things to progress for me. I’m hoping this bulk can help me progress enough to max out my weight class for a push/pull meet here in december.[/quote]

Considering your weight, training age and leverages, those numbers are not bad at all. You’ll probably be able to improve your relative strength the fastest/most if you were at least 260… Maybe 280… (sounds huge but at your height it’s a lot easier to get there than for someone who’s 5’10 of course)

I would personally suggest that, considering you don’t have to diet down for powerlifting the way you have for bbing, just do a regular bb/“powerbuilding” or whatever routine hitting everything like I mentioned to someone else before, get strong all over (arms and everything too, that’s important especially for guys like you with your long arms… May need to hit them at a higher frequency than the rest if you want your curls etc to go up fast enough, or not, depends… Just gotta figure out a way to progress well on everything, not just the big three)… Eat like an off-season bodybuilder/one of the more muscular powerlifters trying to gain weight and strength and just compete every now and again along the way… Maybe hold your weight occasionally, at 230-240 or so, then 260 etc… Def. hold before you consider dieting or anything like that.

Once you’ve evened out your leverages some, that’s when I’d focus on relative strength and on trying to really improve in that weight-class… Do a routine like H4M or so (careful about frequency on lifts you’re not built for though, don’t want to bother your tendons too much), still keep your diet the same in terms of composition (i.e. high protein etc), but just eat for maintenance or slightly above or so… That should allow you to do fairly well in PLing.

[quote]law8 wrote:

Great Reply thanks!
I dont know what to say that pretty much answered any question I have or probably will soon to have in the future.

Thanks again CC.[/quote]

My pleasure. Don’t hesitate to ask questions in BOI or so if anything comes up (setup and whatnot).

[quote]wiggles wrote:

[quote]wiggles wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. As for my leverages, I’d guess pretty terrible. I have a 6’5 wingspan at 6’2 tall, and my bests for bench/squat/dead are 265/350/425 with a year’s worth of training. Squat and bench are the worst things to progress for me. I’m hoping this bulk can help me progress enough to max out my weight class for a push/pull meet here in december.

EDIT: Can’t post in the BOI, guess I’m not awesome enough…YET[/quote]

You just have to PM hungry or… Stu I think? They’re the sheriffs for BOI if I recall correctly, there may be another one, but I’m not sure.

Thanks for the advice C_C, I really appreciate it. I’m well aware that my eating is holding me back, which sucks, so I really gotta get on it. Also the protein powder+instant oats sounds like a good idea for some quick and easy calories, so I’ll get on that too, thanks again!

Thanks to you too, red04, but unfortunately, I don’t think there’s any fast food joints in the immediate area (no car), only a subway, which isn’t as cheap or calorically dense haha.

Trying to hit 200lbs by march, been at 180 for little over 2 months so it’s time to load in the calories. I don’t have a set goal for weight moved, i just wanna get bigger all over (i’ll shoot for 50+ on the bench and 100+ on squat and deads). Yeah yeah strength=size i know, but i can get bigger without huge increases in strength. Genetics…maybe, i just like to concentrate on the mind-muscle connection over weight moved. Not to say i don’t safely “cheat” on some lifts (curls, BB rows). I’m not super strict.

the goal is to look brolic…