T Nation

It's a Dog's life

[quote]soldog wrote:
1Geech wrote:
Looks like some steady progress, Soldog; keep it up. That’s a big jump on the plate pinch, don’t sweat it. Can you find an intermediate?

Guess I can add a 5 pounder to the 2 10 pounder’s and make a triple stack.[/quote]

Sounds good: Watch your feet maybe, the plate size disparity (if there is one) may make gripping even more challenging! Here is a site (I can’t attest to its quality, but looks interesting) if you need some other ideas:

http://www.gripfaq.com/

Thanks Geech - I’ll be reading that site! I have also been following Skidmarks thread and actually got the idea to do plate pinches from him. My problem is not having a large selection of weights to work with so I’m just trying stuff with what I have.

[quote]soldog wrote:
hel320 wrote:
soldog wrote:

Are you talking about the grip where you wrap your fingers over your thumbs or something else? I’m not familiar with this term. Workouts look great.

I thought I used the right term. What is it called when you turn one hand around so that your palms face each other. ie - one hand pronated and one supinated?[/quote]

I’ve been calling that mixed grip, but some called it reversed grip, which I think can cause some confusion.

[quote]soldog wrote:

1Geech wrote:
Sounds good: Watch your feet maybe, the plate size disparity (if there is one) may make gripping even more challenging! Here is a site (I can’t attest to its quality, but looks interesting) if you need some other ideas:

Thanks Geech - I’ll be reading that site! I have also been following Skidmarks thread and actually got the idea to do plate pinches from him. My problem is not having a large selection of weights to work with so I’m just trying stuff with what I have.[/quote]

if you are using standard plates you can slide a 1" bar through them to hold em together. If they are oly plates, you can get some PVC to go down the middle or use an old olympic bar sleeve. Cheaper bars just have a nut on the end to hold the sleeve on and it comes off pretty easily. That’s what I use. Or just put a length of chain through middle and leave the ends on the floor. The higher you lift the plates, the more they weigh. That’s good built-in progression right there.

[quote]1Geech wrote:
soldog wrote:
1Geech wrote:
Looks like some steady progress, Soldog; keep it up. That’s a big jump on the plate pinch, don’t sweat it. Can you find an intermediate?

Guess I can add a 5 pounder to the 2 10 pounder’s and make a triple stack.

[/quote]

That’s a cool site. I haven’t been out there for a while. I like the guy’s expository style.

[quote]soldog wrote:
hel320 wrote:
soldog wrote:

Are you talking about the grip where you wrap your fingers over your thumbs or something else? I’m not familiar with this term. Workouts look great.

I thought I used the right term. What is it called when you turn one hand around so that your palms face each other. ie - one hand pronated and one supinated?[/quote]

Just another example of us calling same thing by different names. I just called it deadlift grip. My input to grip training. 16 lb (7.257k) shot. can’t do it with my left hand, yet.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Just another example of us calling same thing by different names. I just called it deadlift grip. My input to grip training. 16 lb (7.257k) shot. can’t do it with my left hand, yet.[/quote]

Is that an indoor shot (rubber coated) or plain metal? Either way - that is impressive!

Metal. My indoor is hard plastic and is a lot larger. No way I can get a grip on it like this. I took that snapshot from a vid. In the vid you can see my arm shaking. Can only hold it like that for a few seconds. I usually start with my palm up, rotate it down, then back up. Do it as many times as I can.

Edit: put the vid in my profile page. I just noticed too when you post a vid or picture now they shows up on the main page of the site. Kinda daunting for lack of a better word.

yeah - saw that “feature.” One doesn’t necessarily always want to advertise…

Nice vid Hel

8 May 2008
weight = 187lbs

Warm up: Mobility Complex - concentrating on the depth of the OH squats

DB lunges: 2x38.5lbs 3x10 ea leg alternating
Kept it the same weight

RDL dead lift: 195lbs 10/10/10
Deadlift grip did wonders…

Double leg calf raise (using barbell from deadlift): 195lbs 10/10/10
The deadlift grip helped tremendously

Chins: 8/5/4/3/2/2
24 total reps. last week was 22

Shoulder rehab circuit: Scap push 10/ scap pull10/ stab ball pushup 10/ circuit x 2

RRL 10/ DB ext Rot 10lbx10 / DB L-Lateral raise 10lbx10
circuit x2

DB bench press; 56lbs 10/10/8
Up 2.5 lbs.

DB shoulder press: 36lbs 10/10/10
up 2.5 lbs and still made the sets - again

DB Hammer curl: 36lbs 10/10/6
up 2.5 lbs but still made the same reps as Tuesday

Chair Dips feet resting on stool (above hand level): 45lbs plate 10/10/10
Yep - definitely feeling the added weight.

Plate Pinch with a triple stack 10/5/10 50 sec on right, 35 sec on left.

85 minutes workout time

I can’t do an OH squat even with just the bar…I fall forward. Nicely structured workout.

I’m finding I like OH squats but I have to be careful with the overhead movements due to this shoulder issue. I do have a dr appt on Monday, so hopefully we can figure out what the problem is and what to do to improve the situation.

Good work Dog!

I am going to steal the idea of adding more sets if I can’t get the reps. Especially with the chins. I was embarassed to even post the reps on my profile. But… if I can’t be honest with you guys…

Do you find the chins bothering your shoulder(s) at all? They seem to aggravate my rear delt (one I had re-attached)

[quote]bunny7568 wrote:
Good work Dog!

I am going to steal the idea of adding more sets if I can’t get the reps. Especially with the chins. I was embarassed to even post the reps on my profile. But… if I can’t be honest with you guys…

Do you find the chins bothering your shoulder(s) at all? They seem to aggravate my rear delt (one I had re-attached)

[/quote]
Thanks!

If I do too many wide-grip pullups instead of shoulder width grip chinups, I get some pain in my right shoulder. But not as much as full dips. Interestingly enough I’m doing bench dips without any issues now but an upright dip can cause a hot narrow burning sensation through the front of my right shoulder.

I’m shooting for 3x10 on the chins before I switch to wide grip pullups. So once I get 30 chins in a session, my goal is to reduce the sets and increase the reps. Although, I may keep doing max reps each set until I can do 30 in 3 sets or less.

Soldog, you have a good workout going there with great specific goals. I need to add that focus to mine. I really enjoy your logs.

And it just keeps on getting better. There really is no end to it, way to walk the walk dog!

J_willy3 mentioned goals - one of my goals is to do a 35 mile mountain bike ride that has a total of 6500 feet elevation gain (counting the up parts of the up and down) in september this year. The little ride I took after work today with a couple of cohorts is the first section of that ride. One of the guys turned back right where it got steep and the other lead me the rest of the way. Of course he has been riding for 20 years.

It took us about 90 minutes round trip with a 10 minute break right before the steep part. My heart rate hit 171 which is now my official highest observed heart rate. Felt good despite breathing like a steam engine. I could really feel the good that those lunges have been doing for me.

Now that’s what it’s all about. Burning lungs and legs on fire. Right on soldog! Training is half the fun and racing is the icing on the cake, win or just finish it’s all about good times and great memories.

Having a goal is an awesome way to keep the workouts intense and the focus sharp. I am really happy for you soldog, you’re going to have a great summer! Keep us posted on your rides!

[quote]streamline wrote:
Now that’s what it’s all about. Burning lungs and legs on fire. Right on soldog! Training is half the fun and racing is the icing on the cake, win or just finish it’s all about good times and great memories.

Having a goal is an awesome way to keep the workouts intense and the focus sharp. I am really happy for you soldog, you’re going to have a great summer! Keep us posted on your rides![/quote]

Thanks streamline! I knew that you could relate. I’m seriously considering doing this race to kickoff the summer fun:

HILL CLIMB KICK OFF - RACE 1
Saturday, June 14, 2008

COURSE DESCRIPTION
A 5.3 mile non-technical hill climb with a 2,062 foot elevation gain. The course starts at the base of the Winter Park Resort and climbs to the top of Mary Jane Ski Area following the mountain service road. At the finish at Lunch Rock you�??ll be rewarded with 360 degree views of the Continental Divide and Fraser Valley. On your way back down, take a detour on our open singletrack trails to get a sample of races to come (check the information board at registration for an open trail report).

Technical Information
Distance 5.3 miles
Start Elevation: 9,080 feet
Highest Point: 11,142 feet
Total Climbing: 2,062 feet

Should be a blast!

That’s great that they have different categories for age groups. That should really motivate you. Beginner, sport man and expert, from the bottom to the top. Now we have high expectations, you can’t let us down bro, we’re counting on you!