It Begins

I’m a 25 year old male…and I’m a fatass. I’ve been this way as long as I can remember. I’m 6’1" and 235lbs (as of this morning). My bodyfat percentage (according to my scale) is an obscene 41%. This may or may not be accurate, but regardless it’s unacceptable.

I joined up with my local Gold’s last October and attempted (and failed) to adhere to a workout schedule and change my eating habits. So it isn’t suprising that I haven’t seen any real results since then. Today, all of that bullshit ends. Today I begin the Velocity Diet to jumpstart and kick my fatass into gear. I’ve got some Metabolic Drive, Surge Recovery, HOT-ROX, milled flaxseed, fish oil and Superfood. I’ve already made myself today’s full complement of shakes.

I’ve got two quick questions (first of probably many) about the V-Diet. First, is it a good idea to add some Superfood to my shakes for a boost of extra goodies? Second, how can I help stave off hunger during this besides drinking water?

I’m coming to the conclusion that in order to destroy fat, you cannot simply tap it on the shoulder and politely ask it to leave. You need to hit it on the head with a sledgehammer (Se7en is a great film). Maybe Shugart’s Hammer? I love your blogs and I love the attitude.

As I was driving to work this morning and running through my routine in my head, Ain’t My Bitch by Metallica started playing from my iPod. Somehow it seems fitting.

im joining you pal. i started the V-Diet today! get on it… help each other through. im 6ft2 and about 290lbs. ill be posting pics and a proper blog later today. at the minute im just putting all my supps together in daily bags. its all about being prepared. leaving no excuse to fail!!

[quote]PrISM wrote:
I’ve got two quick questions (first of probably many) about the V-Diet. First, is it a good idea to add some Superfood to my shakes for a boost of extra goodies?[/quote]
Yes.

Keep in mind though when preparing your shakes that some vitamins (the fat-soluble ones) can only be absorbed by your body if you ingest some fat at the same time.

That stuff is so expensive you dont want to waste any :wink:

[quote]PrISM wrote:
Second, how can I help stave off hunger during this besides drinking water?
[/quote]
Eat very often, very small meals.

Prevent insulin spikes, so no fast carbs, only complex ones.

Eat veggies/fruit with every meal (low calories, high volume)

Eat foods rich in fiber.

The chinese say “drink your food and chew your water”, which basically means you should chew ~20+ times before your swallow something, thus eating very slowly

If you are constantly very hungry, you should increase your caloric intake by a bit, starving is counterproductive to both long term health & weight loss.

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
PrISM wrote:
I’ve got two quick questions (first of probably many) about the V-Diet. First, is it a good idea to add some Superfood to my shakes for a boost of extra goodies?
Yes.

Keep in mind though when preparing your shakes that some vitamins (the fat-soluble ones) can only be absorbed by your body if you ingest some fat at the same time.

PrISM wrote:

Eat foods rich in fiber.

The chinese say “drink your food and chew your water”, which basically means you should chew ~20+ times before your swallow something, thus eating very slowly

If you are constantly very hungry, you should increase your caloric intake by a bit, starving is counterproductive to both long term health & weight loss.

[/quote]

'm sorta curious with the vitamin thing, would one add some olive oil to whatever he’s taking superfood with or what?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Petrichor wrote:
PrISM wrote:
I’ve got two quick questions (first of probably many) about the V-Diet. First, is it a good idea to add some Superfood to my shakes for a boost of extra goodies?
Yes.

PrISM wrote:

Eat foods rich in fiber.

'm sorta curious with the vitamin thing, would one add some olive oil to whatever he’s taking superfood with or what?[/quote]

Today’s Training

10 minute warm-up of a moderately paced jog

Core: bridges and cobras
Quads: dumbbell squats - 10 x 3
Hamstrings: dumbbell RDLs - 10 x 3
Chest: dumbbell flies - 10 x 3
Back: seated rows - 10 x 3
Shoulders: standing dumbbell press - 10 x 3
Biceps: hammer curls - 10 x 2
Triceps: dumbbell extensions - 10 x 2

I’m asking what to do to help stave off my hunger on the Velocity Diet…so I really can’t eat any of those things.

[quote]PrISM wrote:

I’m asking what to do to help stave off my hunger on the Velocity Diet…so I really can’t eat any of those things.[/quote]

That, i don’t understand

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=546491
your program right ?

[quote]PrISM wrote:
Today’s Training

10 minute warm-up of a moderately paced jog

Core: bridges and cobras
Quads: dumbbell squats - 10 x 3
Hamstrings: dumbbell RDLs - 10 x 3
Chest: dumbbell flies - 10 x 3
Back: seated rows - 10 x 3
Shoulders: standing dumbbell press - 10 x 3
Biceps: hammer curls - 10 x 2
Triceps: dumbbell extensions - 10 x 2

I’m asking what to do to help stave off my hunger on the Velocity Diet…so I really can’t eat any of those things.[/quote]

back squats, bench press, real deadlifts

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
back squats, bench press, real deadlifts[/quote]

Oh I won’t be leaving out the bench press. I tend to alternate exercises every so often. Using my chest as an example, I would cycle through bench press, flies and incline bench press just to keep it new and different. I tend to do with with most of my exercises.

My only real concern with deadlifts is my form. I’m not quite sure I’ve got the flexibility to perform it correctly. yet. One of the biggest things I’m working on right now is getting in the habit of good form, before I create bad habits with my lifts.

[quote]PrISM wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
back squats, bench press, real deadlifts

Oh I won’t be leaving out the bench press. I tend to alternate exercises every so often. Using my chest as an example, I would cycle through bench press, flies and incline bench press just to keep it new and different. I tend to do with with most of my exercises.

My only real concern with deadlifts is my form. I’m not quite sure I’ve got the flexibility to perform it correctly. yet. One of the biggest things I’m working on right now is getting in the habit of good form, before I create bad habits with my lifts.[/quote]

DOn’t use the flys, just alternate between flat and incline, and maybe decline. If you need a rest from benching then just take a break. As far as deadlifts, if you can’t do conventional try a sumo stance. It will feel awkward at first, but I have yet to meet an individual who can’t sumo deadlift.

I’m a broken record but… arms will not help you lose weight. It is plain and simple. Do legs and back, this will do it. Beat that chest hard too. I agree don’t start with flys, wait until you have something to shape. Using dumbells will help, but press them not fly.
Try working this into your workout for three weeks and see if it helps, though I bet you’ll feel it within two times.

One day
Front squats
Rear squats
Deadlift
Romanian

Another Day
Rows (over and underhand)
Shrugs
Bench(flat barbell, then incline dumbell)

Here is a tip for any back or leg exercise: do not bend your back! Keep it with a healthy curve, if you can’t do it, drop the weight. On deads you keep the weight close to you. Weight, squats or deads, travels in a straitline. If it doesn’t your form is wrong. Use mirrors or ask a random to just watch and see if it stays straight. Also search the articles here, they def will tell you how to do deads and squats correctly.

Lemme know what you think

I take it you’re talking about my added bicep and tricep exercise at the end of my routine? I do understand how important the major compound movements are to fat loss and I make sure I have plenty of them to work from. The only reason I throw them on at the end is just for a little extra work. I do realize they really don’t help with fat loss.

On a related note, today’s weight: 233.6 (235.6 yesterday morning) … 2lbs of water weight but I’ll take it. Today will be my rest day/cardio work.

Today’s weight: 233.1

Will do some moderate cardio today instead of my lift. I’ll be doing my lift tomorrow morning with a trainer.

Sup dude. You can do this. I’m 230 right now and in the same boat pretty much. Been at it for a month on a 40-40/20 diet using rippetoes. you can check my progress at bb.com if you want, same name of course.

Anyway, I’m no expert so I can’t give anyone else advice yet, maybe a kick in the ass whenever you need it for motivation.

Cheers.

The main problem I’m having is the almost constant hunger. I had to substitute meal in once a day instead of the shake. It’s a little better, but still there.