Istanbul Terror Attacks

I actually really like the .380. I own a couple and have my eyes on the Ruger LCP Custom. For close quarters defence, they are great weapons. Plus a proper defense ammo makes the .380 a viable weapon. I like the Hornady Zombie Max ammo for the .380. It will solve a problem.

I am just saying, if I am going for an semi-automatic rifle, the AR-10 is the one I want. The one I want specifically is the S&W, M&P10. I like everything about that gun. The only thing I would add to it is a nice scope.

Nice piece BTW. I love the grips and the Texas engraving.

I have got about 800 rounds of .380 sitting around. $5000.00 buys the whole lot! :grinning:

There are no shortages around me. Shelves are back to normal, prices have not returned, but that is slowly improving.

1 Like

My point isn’t whether or not he made an accurate assessment. He said the wrong thing in the context of the situation. Though I do not think his assessment is wholly accurate. I wouldn’t say they are ‘desperate’, not yet. They are clearly alarmed, but they did want war, so it’s hard to say that they didn’t anticipate losses, particularly territorial ones they gained at an unprecedented rate.

Yeah, they seem to have won the ideological war. I don’t know whether or not territory or ideology is more important to them, but my guess is the latter. Spreading their ideology and defense of their ideology while causing the enemy to hunker down and cower gives them way more ‘territory’ than some arid desert sand in Syria and Iraq.
And the radical left has done more to help spread their message and ideology then even they themselves could have, or could have even dreamed of. The stifling of conversation, the refusal to support and defend those oppressed by Wahabism all over the world including the west has caused an impossible situation for those involved.
Even those muslims who are speaking out, who are trying are not only attacked by the radicals but also the radical left. Consider the case of Maajid Nawaz. He is a muslim doing the hard work of reform. But he isn’t just battling the the islamists, he is battling radical leftists who call him a bigot and and an islamophobe… and he’s a muslim! A muslim trying to do good.

I have a dream, that all those on the radical left would go to Raqqa and spend some time with the assholes they support. I would like to see how their love of diversity and tolerance would be recieved amongst those they defend. They claim not to defend them, but yet they end up supporting them.

1 Like

I really do find it amazingly sad that I don’t see anymore news reports regarding this attack on the random news aggregate sites that I look at.

The only person on my Facebook page still saying stuff about it spent some time as an expat in Turkey.

Why don’t I see anyone’s Facebook profile with the Turkish flag over it?

2 Likes

To be fair, the no-fly list didn’t seem to get much notice when it was just for “terrorists”.

The point is, the no-fly list was dangerous for precisely the reasons you wrote from the very start.

1 Like

Quite simple really, too brown…not enough pretty white people for the liberal media to fawn over.

Women’s rights groups in the U.S. go nuts over Caitlyn Jenner, and bathrooms… but ignore radical Islamists in Western Africa killing women in cages and stoning them for adultery in Muslim controlled countries.

1 Like

What I did like about the gun laws they wanted to pass, is that it would have made Hillary Clinton ineligible to purchase a gun legally. That’s irony right there.

I agree with you on the brown people comment.

The fact of the matter is- it’s a lot easier to feel empathy for those that are similar to you.

Americans feel that the French are more similar to them than Turks. Lots of reasons why. I can name a good number of people I know that have been to France/are French. I can only name one person I know who has been to Turkey outside of a mission trip.

But I also think it’s because media has conditioned us to think that it’s normal that nothing bad happens in the Western world, whereas terrorists and dictators and natural disasters and all those bad things happens elsewhere. Typically in some third-world country or someplace with a difficult to pronounce name.

That’s why when something bad does happen here, it’s treated like a tragedy of epic proportions. When terrorists are brazen enough to attack the main airport of Turkey, it’s just a news story.

But think about it. Terrorists attack Ataturk Airport is quite significant. I think it would be equal to some home-grown terrorists choosing to bomb/attack Dulles.

That would be big fucking news.

I wonder if that would cause TSA security to start carrying AR-15s.

You know what’s really funny? I clearly recall Korean soldiers at Incheon international, dozens of them, just wandering outside, armed to the teeth, the last time I visited there.

Heck, if you ever visit Seoul you’ll probably notice a veritable army of police in riot gear stationed near important areas.

At least, that’s what I remember seeing the last time I visited; back in 2012.

Anyways. Honestly, I thinks this impression that the Western world is safe creates a huge disconnect with the way the world actually works, and it worries me.

1 Like

Well I think we should have that here…but the South Koreans do have their mortal enemy and deranged loonypants brother 30 miles to the North…so I kind of see why they want everybody packing heat.

It was a bullshit list when Bush started, and still is.

The same people who thought him Hitler for it, were crying to use it to prevent gun sales. Hyper-partisan people are dangerous. As any bad idea can be transformed into a wonderful one, depending on who’s lips it reads from.

2 Likes

I wasn’t old enough to pay attention to whatever brouhaha came up around the no-fly list when people first announced it.

I don’t doubt the honesty of the majority of people who think banning gun sales to people on the no-fly list is a good idea. They probably think that the vast majority of the people on the no-fly list are on it for a good reason.

The problem is that we don’t know how people end up on the no-fly list and that it seems to have no regulation.

Another big problem is that things tend to mutate.

1 Like

And a third problem is that even with “regulation” such as say warrants…it becomes a rubber stamp procedure when carried on behind closed doors even faster than it does in the open (see intelligence data gathering and metadata by NSA etc)

Fourth and biggest is that this is a constitutional right and flying is not. Different criteria for restriction need to apply by default.

1 Like

Fine, but they are ignoring the long and obvious history of government overreach re: it’s citizens throughout the entirety of human history, and obviously are completely ignorant of the very reasons due process was codified in the COTUS.

If even one innocent person is on the “list” it then becomes a gross violation of civil rights. The fact it exists is in fact a lack of due process, but if we were to fight all government lists, we have a lot of ground to cover.

Therefore getting off it, is impossible, because no one can say how they got on. [quote=“Aragorn, post:93, topic:218988”]
Fourth and biggest is that this is a constitutional right and flying is not.
[/quote]

This is the beginning and end of pretty much all the hoopla surrounding it.

1 Like

[quote=“countingbeans, post:94, topic:218988, full:true”]

Fine, but they are ignoring the long and obvious history of government overreach re: it’s citizens throughout the entirety of human history, and obviously are completely ignorant of the very reasons due process was codified in the COTUS.

If even one innocent person is on the “list” it then becomes a gross violation of civil rights. The fact it exists is in fact a lack of due process, but if we were to fight all government lists, we have a lot of ground to cover.[/quote]

Psh.

Most people don’t give two shits about infringing on the civil liberty and civil rights of the “enemy” when push comes to shove.

Right.

Difficult to challenge something if you don’t even know anything about it.

1 Like

Any comments on the attempted coup in Turkey by the WH? I haven’t heard shit, but I may have just missed it. Have they said anything? I have been looking and nada. Like it didn’t even happen.

No idea. I saw the immediate effects when they barred the Pres from entering the country, but I haven’t had time to look at it deeper. I want to, but right now work is pretty much owning my ass. About all I can manage to do is post on here occasionally, the rest of the news and current events research is too much time

Haven’t heard anything from WH. There are some interesting rumors that the entire coup was staged by Erdogan to give him free reign to purge the military and government and head down the path to Sharia.

Lol. I don’t think so. That is simply too far fetched…Erdogan might (might) want to purge the military of dissidents but no Pres would deliberately stage their own coup…The military is much much better at handling the reigns once the ball is put into their court. That would be a politically suicidal idea as you are basically relying on political opponents who hate you AND have all the guns and aircraft to play along with your grand scheme.

I also don’t believe Erdogan really wants to head down the Sharia path. Giving legitimacy to ISIS and rabid factions of the political sphere would be a bad move for him both short term and long term. It would take him further away from the EU sphere which helps him economically infinitely more than the ME and it would also distance him from the other big geopolitical powers.

Honestly, I am not so sure about that. He’s indicated that he’s kinda for it. And it was a secularist coup. That being the case, the pendulum could swing hard right in Turkey. I don’t trust Erdogan one bit. I don’t think he’s ISIS, but he has shown wahhabist tendencies.
If I were a liberal of any kind in Turkey, I would start looking for property elsewhere in the EU. I wouldn’t exodus, just start the process. Maybe it’s time for that dream home you’ve always wanted, outside of Turkey.

1 Like