Issues with Modified Milk Ingredients

For a while now I’ve thought that I was allergic to whey. However, I can drink milk and it doesn’t bother me too much. I can also eat certain ice creams, but there are some that bother me. I started to pay closer attention to the food labels and I notice that the Nestles ice creams bother me. But guess what? They’re not actually called ice cream! They’re called “frozen dessert”, because I don’t think Nestles stuff is actual ice cream. When I look at the first ingredient it says “Modified Milk Ingredients”. When I look at the other ice cream that doesn’t really bother me the first ingredient is “Cream”.

When I had an allergic reaction it was to whey, which like modified milk ingredients, is the by-product of processed milk. I’m starting to think that when milk gets processed into its constituent parts that my body can’t ingest it properly, but when I consume it in its whole form I seem to have far less of a reaction, if any. Does this make sense? Anyone else had this experience?

Perhaps it’s also the quantity you’re ingesting?

E.g. if I eat an ice cream then I’m fine, but 40 grams of whey causes my throat to tighten up.

Have you tried casein instead?

the “modified milk ingredients” basically means that the separation of milk into its components wasn’t done by mechanical means only. That in itself isn’t a bad thing, as it will get denaturized during digestion anyway

in ice, its most likely the milk fat, which shouldn’t contain more than trace amounts of protein

So whatever is giving you symptoms when consuming a certain kind of ice-cream has most likely nothing to do with your symptoms after whey consumption

since there is nothing added to the milk, its unlikely that you’ll get some form of allergic reaction to whey but not to whole milk. It could be an slight intolerance to some milk protein, which is depended on the amount of protein. You’ll have to drink a lot of milk to reach the amount of protein in single whey shake.

[quote]238 wrote:
Perhaps it’s also the quantity you’re ingesting?

E.g. if I eat an ice cream then I’m fine, but 40 grams of whey causes my throat to tighten up.

Have you tried casein instead?[/quote]
I think quantity plays a huge role in this.

I think I’m okay with casein, because I tried pressed cottage cheese before and the liquid whey part seems to bother me, but if I rinse it and just eat the curds they don’t seem to bother me all that much. Also, I’m pretty okay with cheese…especially if I heat it up and it’s mostly casein right? I don’t get why, but heating dairy seems to change the molecular structure of protein and then it seems to bother me less…if at all.

I believe heating it denatures the protein.

Let’s try narrowing things down, do you see any changes with hydrolysed WPI vs regular WPI?