T Nation

Issues With Heavy Box Squats

Whenever I box squat heavier than a 5-6 RM, I tend to perform a goodmorning out of the hole. I know I use a lot of back in my deadlifts, so obviously my body’s using that to move most of the weight when I squat as well.

I’ve tried to spread the floor in my Chucks, keep the knees out, and the bar low on my back, but it’s still very difficult to correct it. I also do dymamic warmups with lots of glute activation.

I’m able to use good form on my lighter sets. It’s just the heavier sets where this problem occurs. I’m thinking of just dropping down the weight and just getting more practice with lighter weights/higher volume.

Do you guys tihnk it’s maybe weak abs or hamstrings and glutes? Maybe a technique issue? Anyone else dealt with this issue, and how did you correct it?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe you could use box squats as a secondary exercise, maybe free squat first then have box squats and slowly up the weight used and nail the technique first. Also you should be hammering your abs and hamstrings as well as glutes any way. Just my thinking anyway. All the best with your training

I used to have this problem too, but I found that once you are on the box, focusing on leading your body with your head/traps generally keeps you from collapsing. If you focus on pushing with the legs, it puts you forward, which is messy. But if you focus on leading with your head, it keeps it from happening.

Keep the upper back tighter and the abs flexed while you’re pausing on the box. A lot of folks (I used to do this as well), kinda go limp when they hit the box and that just forces you into a crappy leverage. If you wear a belt, wear it a little looser so you can push out against it easier. If you don’t, just try as well as you can (or have a training partner cue you).

I cured my problem with this by slowing my descent down enough to where I could maintain a good position throughout. I found that for me if I squatted down too fast the momentum of the bar put me into that good morning position.

[quote]thephantom wrote:
I used to have this problem too, but I found that once you are on the box, focusing on leading your body with your head/traps generally keeps you from collapsing. If you focus on pushing with the legs, it puts you forward, which is messy. But if you focus on leading with your head, it keeps it from happening. [/quote]

I’ll second this and add pay attention to what your elbows are doing. Ideally they should stay pointed towards the ground or your hips. If the start to fly up/back it’s a good indication that you’re not leading with your head/traps.

My training partner will give me a cue, “elbows down,” if he sees them coming up.

[quote]Reef wrote:
Whenever I box squat heavier than a 5-6 RM, I tend to perform a goodmorning out of the hole. I know I use a lot of back in my deadlifts, so obviously my body’s using that to move most of the weight when I squat as well.

I’ve tried to spread the floor in my Chucks, keep the knees out, and the bar low on my back, but it’s still very difficult to correct it. I also do dymamic warmups with lots of glute activation.

I’m able to use good form on my lighter sets. It’s just the heavier sets where this problem occurs. I’m thinking of just dropping down the weight and just getting more practice with lighter weights/higher volume.

Do you guys tihnk it’s maybe weak abs or hamstrings and glutes? Maybe a technique issue? Anyone else dealt with this issue, and how did you correct it?

Thanks in advance! [/quote]

Sounds alot like me. After having a back injury, I think the root was twofold. First, I was TOTALLY inflexible, my hip flexors and hammies were just horrid.

Second, my low back and abs were just too weak. I have sinec started over and notice a BIG difference in how I feel squatting.

Monopoly