Issue with Deadlifts

In my understanding–and experience–though you should try to retract the shoulder blades on the DL, a slight upper back rounding is okay (Cressey has written about this also.) The danger is when the LOWER back moves into flexion.

But I’ve developed problems from OVEREXTENDING the low-back on deadlifts as well! Neutral spine seems to work best.

As for clearing the shins, everyone has their ‘sweet spot’ where the bar stays close to the thighs and shins (though not touching), you’re not over flexed or extended, the chest is high, glutes tight, etc. I’d play around at lower weights until you’ve grooved the form that’s perfect for your build and then rebuild slowly.

(By the way, it’s “Namaste.”)

Seriously guys, thanks for the advice. I read the Cressey articles(all three) on the DLs about three times today already.

I’m basically going to do what you said dynamic and that’s play around with lighter weight till I figure out what is right for my build and rebuild slowly back.

It’ll be a shot to my ego, but I’m capable of leaving that at the door.

[quote]Ahuae wrote:
Namase ![/quote]

Thanks Dhalsim.

[quote]Ahuae wrote:
Haha, talking about nonsense, and you say to me yet, nothing.

Brag all you want, you forget that the central nerve does not grow with your muscle, it merely stretches !

Namase ![/quote]

Holy fucking shit, where do these people come from? You know what, enough of this unsubstantiated internet advice crap.

Ahuae, it would be great if you show us a video of you deadlifting, preferably something in the vicinity of 2.25 your bodyweight or above.

That is, show us how this knowledge of yours has facilitated you in performing the type of exercises the OP is having problems with (preferably at extremely high intensity and very, very low volume.)

We need to see some meat in action, because what you are talking is not even bones, but pure nonsensical air. Because if you cannot provide a demonstration of the advice you are giving into action, you better shut the fuck up.

If you are willing to spout crap for advice, but can’t provide a concrete example of this advice into action (by you preferably), you may as well tell the OP to put peanut butter in his junk before doing the deadlift to see if it helps. Because there is no much of a different between that exageration and your advice. It is crap.

The OP has a very valid question, and the least he deserves is a valid, useful answer.

[quote]Ahuae wrote:
Definately you will need a complete optical polarization on your training views, as you can read about me I’m not trained at all but I have followed many people who are and I exactly know whats wrong, when and why.

First of all I will assume you know yourself since your description is pretty good and you seem to feel yourself.

You will need to detone entirely, stop training the way you do and turn around to complete flexibility training with full yoga practice and diet rehearsal, you can folllow my other threads about this.

Then you will need to start again with velocity training (once you are able to complete the yoga wheel pause which will allow your pelvic and head joints to compress properly) with the powerball and the tool that you use to train your legs with it. Once you mastered the velocity on your four limbs on both right and left twists you’ll be able to have fun without worrying ever again.

Namase ![/quote]

This is why we have a T-Cell Alpha.

Try this

Rack Pull (from bellow stickingpoint) 5reps, work up to heavy set
Deadlift Stance Parallel Box squats
Dumbell Row 5-20 reps working up to a heavy set
Barbell Shrug 5-20 reps working up to a heavy set
Weighted Situps 3-5x5-10 working up to a heavy set
Side Bends

The box squats will teach you to get your hips lower, which will start you off in a better position not to round your back (and help you off the floor allot). And the rack pulls, dumbell rows, and barbell shrugs will really thicken up your upper back (which is where most people round I think).

And the abb work will help you maintain proper posture throughout the lift.

Also, foam rolling, and hamstring stretches might help you allot.

Thanks, MN.

As far as the box squats…wouldn’t hips already be used to going low since when I squat normally I go AtG?

Also, for me I have a tendency after my 2nd or 3rd set to round a bit, not a lot, with my lower back.

Already do shrugs and DB Rows…but have neglected Rack Pulls…think I’ll work them in. My upper back is pretty thick already especially in comparison to my lower back.

Tomorrow I’m back in the gym and doing upper body, so we’ll see how DLs go. Think I’ll drop down to 325 for reps instead of 365 and see if maybe it’s just I was doing too much weight.

[quote]Sir wrote:
Thanks, MN.

As far as the box squats…wouldn’t hips already be used to going low since when I squat normally I go AtG?

Also, for me I have a tendency after my 2nd or 3rd set to round a bit, not a lot, with my lower back.

Already do shrugs and DB Rows…but have neglected Rack Pulls…think I’ll work them in. My upper back is pretty thick already especially in comparison to my lower back.

Tomorrow I’m back in the gym and doing upper body, so we’ll see how DLs go. Think I’ll drop down to 325 for reps instead of 365 and see if maybe it’s just I was doing too much weight.[/quote]

The key with the box squats is squating with your deadlift stance.

The stronger your deadlift stance box squat is, the lower your hips are gonna be when you deadlift.

Your body will naturally find the strongest way for you to deadlfit right? Weak legs = all lower back. Strong legs = low hips less back so less rounding.

I think I’ve been had by the (clearly) troll. Anyway, Sir, I’m glad you’re so open to having help. That really shows how mature you are. Just a little pointer about lowering the weight since I read you were having trouble with it.

Don’t make the eccentric a lasting endeavor. After you lock out at the top, push your ass back. Don’t try bending your knees first. Practice this with maybe a lighter weight so you can get the timing down.

Ass goes back, shins stay perpendicular to the ground, arms stay straight, chest stays up, lumbar stays tight and arched/neutral. Lower it like this (Think Romanian DL), then once the bar clears your knees, then you can bend those bad boys and get the bar to the ground.

Yes exactly what I am trying to underline, in some people the T-Cell gene expression will be deactivated or suractivated by shock training. I personally think deadlifting is a bad idea and I wouldn’t do it. But I undrstand why people have fun with it and I can help people do it better because thats my job and domain of study, so I’m not going to shut up, do what you will with the info presented here.

My advice is so bright that nobodies come in here, asking for proof while they bring none of their own, telling me its crap (shit fixation) and expect that I will take an hour to answer them, that should be enough to prove my crap was good food before it was eaten by the likes of you ! I would be curious to see how tight are your hips and how tight is your plateau as well if you have no understanding of the notions I presented.

Namase !

[quote]Ahuae wrote:
I personally think deadlifting is a bad idea and I wouldn’t do it.

Namase ![/quote]

[quote]Ahuae wrote:
I personally think deadlifting is a bad idea and I wouldn’t do it. [/quote]

:slight_smile:

[quote]Ahuae wrote:
But I undrstand why people have fun with it [/quote]

No, you don’t.

[quote]Ahuae wrote:
and I can help people do it better because thats my job and domain of study[/quote]

Domain of study… which is?

[quote]Ahuae wrote:
so I’m not going to shut up, do what you will with the info presented here.[/quote]

Wait, didn’t you said in the paragraph that followed that you would not spend time to explain to us nobodies.

You won’t shut up tooting your own horn and drinking your own kool aid. That’s what you won’t stop doing.

[quote]Ahuae wrote:
My advice is so bright that nobodies come in here, asking for proof while they bring none of their own [/quote]

Nobodies? Look at Mr. Somebody.

That’s called an ad hominem, throwing the ball back at the questioner (who is under no obligation to present anything). You make a claim, you prove.

What type of line of work could you possible have that you don’t know this? It certainly cannot be academic.

[quote]Ahuae wrote:
telling me its crap (shit fixation)[/quote]

Well, it is.

[quote]Ahuae wrote:
and expect that I will take an hour to answer them,[/quote]

As opposed to expecting us to simply swallowing your own kool aid without questioning it. See, you are accostumed to talk without having anyone questioning it. And if you aren’t willing to explain it, why bother spoutering it?

[quote]Ahuae wrote:
that should be enough to prove my crap was good food before it was eaten by the likes of you ! [/quote]

That should be enough proof? Maybe in that little self-serving kool aid planet of yours.

[quote]Ahuae wrote:
Namase ![/quote]

Namas…T…e. At least get your clichés right.

That’s called an ad hominem, throwing the ball back at the questioner (who is under no obligation to present anything). You make a claim, you prove.

Oh common get real ; thats why it’s called a forum. You want proof , you can…!

I’m bowing and off this forum I go, btw you didn’t question me, and I didn’t claim anything, duh.

Latin and academics, what a laugh !

Good continuity T-Nation ! It was good while it lasted !

Namase !

I;m not sure who’s funnier. The troll, or you trying to reason seriously with the troll. Lol. Yoga to allow the 4 joints to compress properly and T-cell gene expression. Too funny. Funnier than chang_lee imo.

[quote]elnyka wrote:
Ahuae wrote:
I personally think deadlifting is a bad idea and I wouldn’t do it.

:slight_smile:

Ahuae wrote:
But I undrstand why people have fun with it

No, you don’t.

Ahuae wrote:
and I can help people do it better because thats my job and domain of study

Domain of study… which is?

Ahuae wrote:
so I’m not going to shut up, do what you will with the info presented here.

Wait, didn’t you said in the paragraph that followed that you would not spend time to explain to us nobodies.

You won’t shut up tooting your own horn and drinking your own kool aid. That’s what you won’t stop doing.

Ahuae wrote:
My advice is so bright that nobodies come in here, asking for proof while they bring none of their own

Nobodies? Look at Mr. Somebody.

What type of line of work could you possible have that you don’t know this? It certainly cannot be academic.

Ahuae wrote:
telling me its crap (shit fixation)

Well, it is.

Ahuae wrote:
and expect that I will take an hour to answer them,

As opposed to expecting us to simply swallowing your own kool aid without questioning it. See, you are accostumed to talk without having anyone questioning it. And if you aren’t willing to explain it, why bother spoutering it?

Ahuae wrote:
that should be enough to prove my crap was good food before it was eaten by the likes of you !

That should be enough proof? Maybe in that little self-serving kool aid planet of yours.

Ahuae wrote:
Namase !

Namas…T…e. At least get your clichés right.[/quote]

[quote]Ahuae wrote:

Oh common get real ; thats why it’s called a forum. You want proof , you can…!

I’m bowing and off this forum I go, btw you didn’t question me, and I didn’t claim anything, duh.

Latin and academics, what a laugh !

Good continuity T-Nation ! It was good while it lasted !

Namase ![/quote]

Namase… err, namaste! Namaste you dumb bastard. Goddamit, get your cliches right.