Isometrics and Sticking Points

In the military press I have a very blatant sticking point where I’m a lot weaker than in the rest of the movement. So I think it would be a good idea to strength that joint angle using isometrics.

I was thinking about using a barbell with 80% of my max and doing sets of 5s or so.

Has anything been written about what % and duration is best?

Where’s your sticking point at? What kind of poundage are you talking about? Depending on your sticking point and your training age, racklockouts might be more appropriate.

it really depends on your sticking point

5 sets of 6 seconds at the CJC (sticking point), rest a minute or two between sets.

My sticking point is halfway up.

My Military Press 1RM is 122.5lbs.

[quote]Zulu wrote:

My Military Press 1RM is 122.5lbs. [/quote]

Thats where almost everybodies sticking point is with Military Press. You could try some speed work with bands in addition to the isometrics or lockouts. With extra speed you can blast through the sticking point with momentum.

CT wrote an article on isometrics:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459399

I read that article… but I don’t think it had strength related recommendations.

I don’t own bands atm, I’ll purchase some down the road.

[quote]Zulu wrote:

My Military Press 1RM is 122.5lbs. [/quote]

What’s your bench? However, at the weight your pressing I think you would be perhaps better suited to just a good overall program rather than one method specifically for your military press.

My bench is somewhere between 180-200. Still doing technique work.

At that point in the range of motion, the front delts poop out and you have to be able to push with the subscapular muscles. Because the military has such a long range of motion, I think you have to break it up into at least two parts-explosion roughly to the top of the head and scapular rotation/triceps up from there. Lockouts work but focus on getting the scapulae under the weight. Also, overhead squats might help along with external rotation exercises.

I think I have good lockout strength… when I’ve missed jerks with 150lbs I’ve managed to lock them out. There’s a transition point in the lift half way through where I just feel a lot weaker. (Which is why I figured isometrics would be a good idea).

I can overhead squat 5*125lbs; I’m not sure if that’s good or bad relative to my military press.

[quote]Zulu wrote:
My bench is somewhere between 180-200. Still doing technique work. [/quote]

Check out this Poliquin artice: http://www.t-nation.com/articles.jsp?p=portal_includes/articles/1999/52balan.html

I could be wrong, but I don’t think that your militarty press is that far off (according to the article and my experience), but check out the article it could give you some ideas.

Thanks… it’s been a while since I’ve seen that link. My behind the neck press is significantly weaker than my military press (since I never press behind the neck). I was going to train it next.