T Nation

Isometric Glute Bridges for Better Deadlift?


#1

I heard someone at the gym say they prefer an isometric glute bridge for superior deadlifts over glute bridge for reps. Anyone agree? What is the logic behind this? I suppose because max deadlifts are fairly slow, the isometric aspect of the bridge stimulates the right muscle fibers? Any thoughts?


#2

The problem with isometrics for gaining strength, is they primarily only gain strength in the joint angle and position where you hold the contraction.


#3

Aside from the fact that I think weighted glute bridges are pointless, what exactly do you mean? Bridging and then a static hold for time? How much does this guy deadlift? Sounds stupid, at any rate. Might help core strength.


#4

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
The problem with isometrics for gaining strength, is they primarily only gain strength in the joint angle and position where you hold the contraction. [/quote]

That’s a good point. Maybe a doing reps matching speed of deadlift would be preferred. Thanks.


#5

[quote]HeavyTriple wrote:
Aside from the fact that I think weighted glute bridges are pointless, what exactly do you mean? Bridging and then a static hold for time? How much does this guy deadlift? Sounds stupid, at any rate. Might help core strength.[/quote]
Yes, bridging then holding at top. He might be better off doing super slow reps to match max deadlift speed in order to gain strength throughout ROM. He’s pretty strong regardless though: I saw him do upper 500s @ about 180lbs, no suit or belt.


#6

I like doing single leg bw glute bridges as part of my warm up… I don’t think I’ve ever seen a big deadlifter swear by glute bridges as the main thing for their DL.

Maybe do ghr or more hamstring work.


#7

[quote]budreiser wrote:
I like doing single leg bw glute bridges as part of my warm up… I don’t think I’ve ever seen a big deadlifter swear by glute bridges as the main thing for their DL.

Maybe do ghr or more hamstring work.[/quote]
Glute bridges does dick all for squats and deadlifts (nothing because of the short range of motion, and add nothing but strength at that specific range of motion), but hip thrusts are a pretty solid choice as a tier three (accessory) exercise if you have issues pushing your hips through in the squat or deadlift or you just have a weak ass.

Like, you could do your squat, then bust out 3X10 Sumo SLDL’s, then 3X15 hip thrusts, 3X10 weighted back extensions, and 4X8 side bends if you have shitty hip strength in your squat.

However if you don’t have absolutely shit tier glute strength, I wouldn’t recommend them for the deadlift. If your lockout/knee area strength is weak then do some pulls against chains/block pulls after deadlifts or mixed in as a main movement then hit the shit out of your posterior chain with a mixture of back extensions, SLDL’s, glute ham raises, and rows then finish off with abs.

So you could one day for example work up to a triple with deadlifts against chains, do three heavy sets of rows or SLDL’s then get 50 reps of GHR’s, 3-4 sets of heavy back extensions, then something for abs.

edit: I have no idea why I quoted budreiser at this point.


#8

Just do dimmel deadlifts then, glute bridges are good for girls to do then post pictures on instagram saying beast mode or dumb shit like that


#9

[quote]Destrength wrote:
then bust out 3X10 Sumo SLDL’s, [/quote]

Off topic a bit, but what are the point of Sumo SLDL’s? I don’t mean that in a condescending way, I’m just genuinely curious as I’ve never seen anyone really do them, at least the PL’ers I follow. I’ve recently been making the transition to Sumo, and planned on adding SLDL’s as an assistance lift, but never thought of doing them Sumo.


#10

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]Destrength wrote:
then bust out 3X10 Sumo SLDL’s, [/quote]

Off topic a bit, but what are the point of Sumo SLDL’s? I don’t mean that in a condescending way, I’m just genuinely curious as I’ve never seen anyone really do them, at least the PL’ers I follow. I’ve recently been making the transition to Sumo, and planned on adding SLDL’s as an assistance lift, but never thought of doing them Sumo.[/quote]
Their main purpose is glute/abductor strength. So if your knees cave in the squat/sumo deadlift from weak glutes and abductors these are good.


#11

What the fuck is a glute bridge?


#12

I’m sure you’d see more improvement doing some kind of glute-ham raise variation.