Isolation Exercises

[quote]colin1168 wrote:
Holy shit, you gained weight so now you can tell me what to do? haha given help? Mostly I’v e been told off by dicks like you. Way to take a power trip over the internet, that’s really cool:)[/quote]

It’s no power trip. Too easy to do anonymously to be fun.

Just remember my reply was in response to you calling me out for having no experience, not a power trip. You just needed to be aware of the facts before you call people out that’s all.

Actualy I’m just trying to get to 3,000 posts! Thanks for the help.

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
Quads = Leg Extensions
Hams = Leg Curls (I don’t think Romanian deadlifts qualify as isolation due to the stress on the core)
Chest = Flyes
Back… I don’t think you can really isolate your back?

Beginners’ question for sure. But what I’m more interested in is… do people actually to seated cable rows with the legs locked? Wouldn’t it be easier to focus on the back if you’re not trying to make sure that your knees don’t bend at the same time?[/quote]

Back isolation=many types of pullovers and straight-arm pulldowns as mentioned in my other posts above.

Knees unlocked, back arched. There are other ways but none of them as effective (or safer) in my opinion.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
I do the seated Cable Rows with a slight bend in the knee. I think that makes the most sense.

Quads - Leg Press
Hamstrings - Lying Leg Curl or Romanian Deadlift
Chest - Pec Deck
Back - Straight-Arm Pulldowns, Machine Pull-overs, Lat-Pulldowns, High Rows, and Chest Supported Rows.

[/quote]

[quote]derek wrote:
Back isolation=many types of pullovers and straight-arm pulldowns as mentioned in my other posts above.
[/quote]

Right, right. Thank you.

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
Quads = Leg Extensions
Hams = Leg Curls (I don’t think Romanian deadlifts qualify as isolation due to the stress on the core)
Chest = Flyes

Beginners’ question for sure. But what I’m more interested in is… do people actually to seated cable rows with the legs locked? Wouldn’t it be easier to focus on the back if you’re not trying to make sure that your knees don’t bend at the same time?[/quote]

Just to add to Dereks reply (if i may) - the knees are unlocked so as to keep the knees above the hips, which promotes the correct spinal alignment… alot like when you Bench and you should have your knees above the hips. I may be wrong, but i THINK it is to relax the posterior chain - not stretch it - to allow for correct posture…? In other words, there is a reason, it isnt just a “variation” or for ease.

When you get used to this exercise - a necessity for any strength gains - you wont even feel or be particularly aware of your legs/knees.

Joe

[quote]Joe Joseph wrote:
BF Bullpup wrote:
Quads = Leg Extensions
Chest = Flyes

Beginners’ question for sure. But what I’m more interested in is… do people actually to seated cable rows with the legs locked? Wouldn’t it be easier to focus on the back if you’re not trying to make sure that your knees don’t bend at the same time?

Just to add to Dereks reply (if i may) - the knees are unlocked so as to keep the knees above the hips, which promotes the correct spinal alignment… alot like when you Bench and you should have your knees above the hips. I may be wrong, but i THINK it is to relax the posterior chain - not stretch it - to allow for correct posture…? In other words, there is a reason, it isnt just a “variation” or for ease.
When you get used to this exercise - a necessity for any strength gains - you wont even feel or be particularly aware of your legs/knees.

Joe[/quote]

Right. Keeping the legs locked will in most cases cause the lower back to both round (a lot of people have fairly poor hamstring flexibility/hip mobility) and also to bear much more of the stress (bad idea). It’s like the difference between doing RDL’s and traditional SLDL’s. The traditional version places much more stress on the lower back, while not really being any more beneficial for building the hamstrings.

Colin,

You need to seriously check your attitude man. No one on this thread has tried to steer you wrong. The advice you got was the advice you needed.

You asked a very beginner question about an advanced program. Sorry if it hurts you feelings to hear it, but that pretty much means you should not be doing that program. That’s not a jab at you, it’s just the simple truth.

You should be doing a beginner program (check out “Starting Strength” by Mark Rippetoe). That’s going to give you the fastest possible results and also help you build a strong foundation. Later on, when you actually need them, feel free to try out more advanced programs. But for now, they aren’t what you should be doing.

Yeah… i linked him to Stripped down HT and how to design a damn good program 1 and 2, i LOVE that workout and those articles, and if he uses them both, he could still be making gains with a variant of those 15 years later!! - but he just ignored the links and just wanted to argue with Derek!! lol!

Joe

I’m not gonna take shit my some fucking old man who thinks he’s the king of the forum and bodybuilding. I say I agree, I should have put it in the beginners form, and then I get another reply saying just that again. What the hell is with you guys trying to get the last word all the time?

How do you know I ignored the links? Honestly, I could do HSS-100 with the isolations I know, I just figured I would add some variety. I guess I should just do the same exercises over and over again according to you.

I could be wrong but I think you can PM one of the moderators (not authors) currently online and ask them if they could please move your thread. Tell them the title, which forum it is posted in, and the date and time of your initial post there.

Chill out, we all make mistakes sometimes. Forget about them and put the advice you got to good use.

[quote]colin1168 wrote:
I’m not gonna take shit my some fucking old man who thinks he’s the king of the forum and bodybuilding. [/quote]

LOL!

meant you by the way;)

[quote]colin1168 wrote:
meant you by the way;)[/quote]

Yeah, I figured.

Being all of 37 I knew I was the “old guy” or whatever you wrote.

You should see me squat without my walker and cane! Well gotta go and take my Centrum Siver (as long as I can open the bottle with all this arthritis).

it looks like this thread is going well.

LMAO@The big rant then after… "uh… I meant you by the way… ahem…lolololol1!!!

hahaha that cracked me up!!

Joe