Isolating the Medial Delts

Scratch Arnold presses. I keep reading they emphasize the front delt.

Seriously, listen to Zraw.

Look at his shoulders.

What he’s saying is legitimate.

Idk why OP ignored me :frowning:

Stuck in that shoulder pressing pattern :confused:

anyone else not do any overhead pressing?

Serious question. Since I dropped it and focused more on lateral/rear delts my shoulders have never looked better…

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

Serious question. Since I dropped it and focused more on lateral/rear delts my shoulders have never looked better…[/quote]

I do some like 1x/3-4 weeks at most with JM lol

People need to realize its mostly the side and also the rear (but to a lesser degree) that makes a shoulder look big and round and cool

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

Serious question. Since I dropped it and focused more on lateral/rear delts my shoulders have never looked better…[/quote]

Well, I do light shoulder pressing after all of my chest and delt work, but more for a pump than anything.

That being said, my delts have absolutely never looked better for it, whereas before just going heavy on OHPs wrought no benefits other than achy joints and very few positive benefits. I’m sore MUCH more often (which, I fully believe for bodybuilding intents is a good indicator of effectiveness of a workout,) but similarly feel much better in regards to my joints/tendons and the such.

Which is why, again, I think it’s tragic OP is overlooking the people stating the obvious or those who have learned from their mistakes. It’s selective listening at its finest.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

Since I dropped it and focused more on lateral/rear delts my shoulders have never looked better…[/quote]

+1 !
That’s what John Meadows advices for my program.

And…ho…no shoulder join pain anymore…

Mat’

[quote]zraw wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry lol. I’m definitely going to take that exercise into account. Mostly right now, I need to learn what it feels like to work the middle delt. Is that an exercise that’ll help with that?

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

Well, I do light shoulder pressing after all of my chest and delt work, but more for a pump than anything.

That being said, my delts have absolutely never looked better for it, whereas before just going heavy on OHPs wrought no benefits other than achy joints and very few positive benefits. I’m sore MUCH more often (which, I fully believe for bodybuilding intents is a good indicator of effectiveness of a workout,) but similarly feel much better in regards to my joints/tendons and the such.

Which is why, again, I think it’s tragic OP is overlooking the people stating the obvious or those who have learned from their mistakes. It’s selective listening at its finest.[/quote]

Keep in mind that my main focus is on the powerlifts. Through experience, I’ve found standing press to keep my shoulders feeling health and helps me off the chest and lower midpoint of my bench too so I keep it in as my first shoulder exercise.

edit: I find using a false grip on standing press helps ease the stress on my wrists and elbows a ton.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry lol. I’m definitely going to take that exercise into account. Mostly right now, I need to learn what it feels like to work the middle delt. Is that an exercise that’ll help with that? [/quote]

It definitely helped me. Previously I never could tell if lateral raises or machine lateral raises were working my medial delts correctly. Then I took Zraw’s advice in another thread and started doing heavier partial lateral raises for high reps and now I actually feel it.

I was so happy when I finally got a pump in my medial delts and DOMS there the next day (thanks Zraw, lol).

Related.

I’ve found the main benefit from standing press was a major improvement to my posture. (Assuming activated glutes, and generally good form.) I use raises for shoulders, presses for posture.

My point: +1 on standing press, but not because of shoulder hypertrophy.

[quote]krillin wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry lol. I’m definitely going to take that exercise into account. Mostly right now, I need to learn what it feels like to work the middle delt. Is that an exercise that’ll help with that? [/quote]

It definitely helped me. Previously I never could tell if lateral raises or machine lateral raises were working my medial delts correctly. Then I took Zraw’s advice in another thread and started doing heavier partial lateral raises for high reps and now I actually feel it.

I was so happy when I finally got a pump in my medial delts and DOMS there the next day (thanks Zraw, lol).
[/quote]

My pleasure :slight_smile:

All credit to John Meadows though

rear cable rows high reps!

[quote]jackedup45 wrote:
rear cable rows high reps![/quote]

What are those?

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]jackedup45 wrote:

What are those?[/quote]
ahh i meant rear cable RAISE. ya know…one arm at a time, raising the cable from the bottom to the top, it can target, front,side, and medial delt, depending on the angle you raise it

^

Gotcha.

Lots of good exercises and tips here. I got even more than I thought I would out of this thread.

[quote]jackedup45 wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]jackedup45 wrote:

What are those?[/quote]
ahh i meant rear cable RAISE. ya know…one arm at a time, raising the cable from the bottom to the top, it can target, front,side, and medial delt, depending on the angle you raise it[/quote]

Excellent!

I like 'em on the machine Lee uses here.

one more to echo the meadows technique ZRAW pointed out.

in 4 years of training, my delts have never been sore until i tried the partial reps. i do triple drop sets for lateral and rear delts like meadows outlines in his articles. i only do lightweight OHP at the end with half the weight i would normally use, and get a killer pump.

+2 on the rear cable raises.

I don’t have cables at home, but using micro/mini bands off rack with handles clipped on works great. Easy to adjust to different heights too.

[quote]zraw wrote:

To Zraw. Are these supposed to be something thats added every few weeks to create a shock or extra intensity? Or are they ment to replace normal DB/cable/machine laterals with a full ROM?

Basicaly can they be done every week or are they best used in place of drop sets etc?