T Nation

Isolating Sides?

Is there any benefit in isolating either side while lifting? For example, dumbbell bench or dumbbell incline but only one arm at a time or alternating arms?

anyone?

Generally speaking, you should be able to lift more weight with one hand/leg than you lift with both hands (per hand). There are various benefits to training one side at a time, there was an article about this a few weeks back that I can’t find right now.

Also, some one-sided exercises will work your core more.

[quote]Cyke wrote:
Generally speaking, you should be able to lift more weight with one hand/leg than you lift with both hands (per hand). There are various benefits to training one side at a time, there was an article about this a few weeks back that I can’t find right now.

Also, some one-sided exercises will work your core more.[/quote]

HMM thats odd Id say its the opposite as far as say BB vs DB one armed. you are usuing a lot more little muscle and weak areas in the one armed move. where as the BB say a bench press you have both arms stabilizing a single load. I really cant think of many or any ppl that can do a One arm DB at over half there BB bench etc

I agree on the one sided lifts hitting the core etc anything standing and lifting one limbed will really nail the core in a positive way
Phill

With one hand you can’t use more weight. I was thinking the same way until I tried. I used the same dumbbells I did with two hands 4x6. I tried with only one arm at time and I couldn’t do a single rep. What an awful surprise that was for me.

with something like the hammer strength machines for back, as long as your other hand/arm has something to hold onto, you can definitly lift more with one arm at a time. ifact, i really only started to get great benefit from the hammer back machines when i lifted unilaterally. it lets you lift a lot more, and throw in some good momentum when you start getting tired.

does anyone lift unilaterally for hammer chest press machines??

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1455577

This article by CT might help answer your question.

[quote]Cyke wrote:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1455577

This article by CT might help answer your question.[/quote]

Thanks. That article really helped out.