T Nation

Isokinetic vs Adaptive Training?

Hello Christian, i would be interested to hear your opinon about isokinetic and adaptive training (for hypertrophy, after injuries). There are some machines (egym, milon) who offer these trainings alternatives in a practical way.
I personally think, that this can be a good option for one training cycle (like focus on exentrics) but cannot/should not replace free weights etc.
Thanks a lot,
Martin

I agree. If you have access to an isokinetic machine (normally a pulley station in which you can set the speed of movement) it is a worthwhile addition to the early phases of training. Using slower speeds while still being able to produce maximum force is a novel stimulus to increase muscle fiber recruitment and strengthen the whole range of motion (if you use a slow speed on the isokinetic device)…

NOTE: an isokinetic device sets the speed to be constant and adjust the resistance accordningly. So you can produce a max effort regardless of the speed of movement.

My friend elite strength coach Ben Prentiss uses isokinetic training in the first phase of the training of hs pro hockey players.

thank you very much, best from Vienna, Martin