Ishii in MMA?!

Word is Satoshi Ishii is doing MMA now. If this is for real I’m VERY happy.

Oh shit this is major if he gets some standup people are going to be hitting the ground in spectacular fashion. He’s only 21 too soooo much room to grow

http://www.mmaconvert.com/category/athletes-non-mma/satoshi-ishii/

Good news indeed. Enjoyed wathing him at the Olympics.

We finally get to see an elite judo player entering MMA in his prime. Hopefully he won’t disappoint.

I’m not a judo practitioner myself, but aside from general combat sport athleticism, do you judo practitioners think that judo is very applicable to MMA?

Just from an outsider’s perspective–while judo does seem to help with hip strength and balance, it’s heavy reliance on the gi and emphasis on technical throwing, coupled with it’s diminished use of groundwork seems to make it a less than ideal martial art to transition.

It seems to be like BJJ, Greco, and San Shou would be more natural grappling martial arts to make the switch.

But I’d like to hear from those who have trained in the sport and preferably those who did do the crossover.

Ishii is a beast, I think that would be awesome to see him in MMA. Looks like he’s challenging Fedor, that would be great to watch.

Fedor might be a tall order for Ishii’s first match. Hopefully, he’ll get a few fights under his belt first. I’d love to see him in MMA, though.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Ishii is a beast, I think that would be awesome to see him in MMA. Looks like he’s challenging Fedor, that would be great to watch.
[/quote]

Wow, that seems overload but damn the kid IS a fuckin beast.

Awesome. What’s up Money? You bein good?

ToneBone

[quote]Fiction wrote:
I’m not a judo practitioner myself, but aside from general combat sport athleticism, do you judo practitioners think that judo is very applicable to MMA?

Just from an outsider’s perspective–while judo does seem to help with hip strength and balance, it’s heavy reliance on the gi and emphasis on technical throwing, coupled with it’s diminished use of groundwork seems to make it a less than ideal martial art to transition.

It seems to be like BJJ, Greco, and San Shou would be more natural grappling martial arts to make the switch.

But I’d like to hear from those who have trained in the sport and preferably those who did do the crossover.[/quote]

Its as aplicapble as anything else…
I played Judo but went further with wrestling…
Judo is only underdeveloped in the US, it thrives everywhere else
and is much more common overseas, thank most
other MA’s in the olympics it is one the widest
group of participants-180 countries far more than MMA.
It really is HUGE in the europe.

An elite Judo player will have , good ground game via
newazza- and be able to use that to an advantage via posture.and maybe aggression judo only has a 20 second time limit on the ground before a stand up where BJJ has expanded to be an art of nuance on the ground.
But the techniques are the same.
Most good schools do newazza plenty.

judo is different from greco- Bjj or wrestling-
its as potent from the clinch as greco and more versatile from the side.
and there are no take downs in BJJ that are not from Judo.
and the take downs are harder to defend for people who dont play judo.

as far as No- gi judo- Goktor, is a good example.
as are all his disciples Karo Parisian comes to mind.
In Japanese MMA most of the stars are former Judoka’s
particularly in shooto

Mach Sakurai comes to mind. but there are plenty of others
Shinya Aoki,yoshida, Kazuo Misaki and plenty whom people dont think of
like shonnie carter, Josh barnett ( did it before catch).

can an elite judo player do well in MMA sure,
but they have to train everything just like everyone else.

kmc

Excellent explanation kmc.

Personally, I never had any problems going from the gi to no-gi. All my throws, transitions, and groundwork worked great. But I think, that like everything else in life, it’s always going to be different for everyone. For me, I’ve struggled way more with kickboxing than going from judo to MMA. The techniques and timing in Muay Thai make me think too much, whereas with judo/grappling it just comes naturally to me.

I also think that when it comes to combat sports or fighting in general, heart/desire is the most important ingredient (this is just my humble personal opinion though). Guys (and girls) who go in there with that do or die mentality, you know? That’s why I really like Ishii, he has that fire in him, like a Masahiko Kimura.

To me, Kimura represented the true spirit of judo, to fight anyone, anywhere, under any rules. He just wanted to be a better fighter in any sphere, so he studied boxing and karate as well as judo.

[quote]InTheZone wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:

Wow, that seems overload but damn the kid IS a fuckin beast.

Awesome. What’s up Money? You bein good?

ToneBone[/quote]

It’s all good here Bone, how you been? How’s the family?