Isaiah63's Surge Challenge Training Log

Starting a training log per the Surge Challenge Requirements.

1 Like

I have wrist ROM issues too. I do Standing Forearm Flexion (aka Wrist Curls). I take a shoulder width grip and curl the bar up as tight as possible. For the Pump Set, keep the grip tight and just rotate at your wrist joint. For the Stimulate set, open your hand a bit at the bottom and let the bar roll into the space between 1st and 2nd joints of your fingers. I’m not a strong guy, but worked up to 195x8 on the 2nd version.
Best, Scott

Looking pretty jacked there, my friend. Nice work.

1 Like

Lookin thicc n joozy

1 Like

I appreciate that you’re doing these before/after workout pics. In some of them you can really tell that you have an outrageous pump going.

Also super grateful for these diligent measurements - I am really curious to see how the chest/shoulder ones end up. I am optimistic for you that they will settle on the positive side; I encourage you to go the whole way through and give your absolute best effort to see where it ends up for all of us.

What type of training program/split do you usually run?

I can understand the itch for sure. But if people go all the way through with a killer effort, it could probably help Tim/Ellington refine to better optimize. Plus, they know a thing or two and I have a really hard time betting against Tim when he backs something.

That’s a great idea! Have you contemplated recording a set? To be totally honest I wonder about the intensity of a lot of people training, but you seem to be pretty advanced. It might set a nice baseline for what a real intense block looks like for guidance.

Yep, that’s me. I like that the blocks are able to be mixed-and-matched and also could be incorporated into a powerlifting or performance-based training as add-ons as needed. I would prefer to get my lower body and upper body training from other means (531-style or similar), but could definitely see adding on biceps, forearms, and shoulders blocks to those training methods.

This is a big thing in training. I, too, cannot get excited about this type of working out. There’s no performance goal tied to it, so I don’t feel excited to start nor do I feel satisfied when I finish. That said, I understand lots of others do like and prefer this style of training.

Last thing: I have gotten into crossfit over the last few months, and really enjoy the challenge those workouts bring. Personally, I find Surge Workout Fuel to be better showcased by how it affects my performance and sustained energy levels in these workouts compared to the Surge workouts. But, again, I certainly understand the need to provide a workout program that everyone on these boards can follow.

1 Like

We have more Surge Challenges coming, and some will be performance-based.

Surge WOF works exceptionally well for pushing and extending the anaerobic threshold.

1 Like

@Isaiah63 Thank you for the detailed log entries and photos. You’ve developed an incredible physique and have much more potential.

We’ve had significantly larger lifters gain a lot of muscle mass from similar programs as this.
But all of it comes down to what you want to do. We can get the best-level results for any physical objective. What’s difficult is programming around what someone “likes” to do in the gym. And there’s nothing wrong with a lifter doing what they like.

So, I always ask, “What do you want – results or to do a specific training activity?” And neither answer is wrong. I never try to persuade anyone to switch from something they enjoy doing.

Ellington and I want to call you to discuss your case. I’m sure we can get you what you need and want to accelerate your gains.

2 Likes

This is very true, I’ve found. It really does make a difference when pushing through metcon workouts. I’ve had others at my crossfit gym ask “What are you drinking?” when they see me chugging my Surge during a workout, and I’ve been enthusiastic to tell them about the Surge Workout Fuel product. Given that my recent performance on WOD’s has gone through the roof (and of course our efforts are marked on the big board), it’ll hopefully be a good endorsement.

1 Like

I figure it’s a combination of new exercises and maybe even some never really pushing hard in the gym.

Just my thoughts.

1 Like

I think you’ve been training hard (as have I) prior to this challenge, so Surge is able to effectively reduce DOMS despite a new training protocol. But, if someone had not been training hard and started a new training regimen, I doubt Surge or any supplement could offset soreness.

1 Like

Sorry for commenting again on your log, @Isaiah63 , but I’m enjoying this discussion and you and I have similar philosophies. I think these things - results vs specific training preferences - are not separate things. To me, performing better is the result I want, and I choose training activities that support that result. Aesthetics are a side effect. For me, I get great satisfaction and motivation from hitting a PR (in the gym or at the track) or getting the top time in a WOD, but I just don’t from a pump and the mirror. I understand others are different.

1 Like

You are looking absolutely jacked man! You really seem to be killing it in here with this challenge! Big props to you man!

2 Likes

I don’t generally say my work, but you called me out to the letter in my other post lol. Yeah, this job is not exactly ideal. 7 weeks left until off to the carrier.

1 Like

Oh I am very much looking forward to those greener pastures lol. I’m on the officer side of the house, so advancement rate for us is about 98%up through 04. Community is hurting bad for people, so anyone with a pulse is able to promote at least enough to do that Department Head tour.

I’ve never really thought about data center work. Could be a good idea. My undergrad was political science, so I’m not too keen on picking up any sort of engineering gig like a lot of my peers plan to. Was thinking more along the lines of either an MBA or law school, still going back and forth between which would be better. Hell, maybe neither. Lots gonna depend on the wife’s career there, she’s already out earning me, so maybe with some luck I can just be a trophy husband in a couple years haha.

On the 626 right now. This boat is old. It wants to die, and we won’t let it. I’m still in shock that I have to pass an asbestos warning sign every time I go down the hatch….Jesus Christ lol. They got rid of the 635 just a few years ago, all their staff got sent to the 626. Platforms essentially the same though, so not much of a change.

1 Like

Nice to see you keep an open mind and try out new methods of training. I, too, had many of these same thoughts after the first few workouts. It took some time to feel like I got the workout “right”, which adds to the satisfaction of a program. Yesterday was the first all-the-way-through workout that felt like, hey, I’m getting used to this training protocol and seeing/feeling its benefits.

2 Likes

Excellent job and report!

Often the biggest battles are with ourselves.

When do you need to return to your powerlifting training?

I’ve really noticed this, too. My middle -aged knees, elbows, and and shoulders-which don’t handle anywhere near the weight yours do-- feel way better than a month ago after wrapping up Waterbury’s 10 x 3 for fat loss.

Really enjoying your log. Glad to hear the training and Surge is working for you.