Is Your Workout Wasting Your Time

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Did you see the Biggest Loser where they said you needed to do crunches to get visible abs?

I saw that and it irked me quite a bit.[/quote]

every office worker must have the world’s best abs if that swivel thing works, because I know I do that all day long.

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Did you see the Biggest Loser where they said you needed to do crunches to get visible abs?

I saw that and it irked me quite a bit.[/quote]

Yeah, me too. Generally, I think Bob and Jillian are better than most commericial trainers and have the contestants on a solid program. But every once in a while they say something ridiculous like that. They are also product whores. Like the milk and wrigley’s gum plugs.

[quote]gojira wrote:
I am still trying to figure out where all the people read that 1/2 squats in the smith machine are a good idea. Where the f*&k did that idea come from? I guess most people don’t squat because they have weak hamstrings and have never been taught the proper technique…and they’re scared.
[/quote]

And when they perform said squats, they must put their feet 2’ in front of their bodies so their knees don’t go over their toes…

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

Have you seen the new swivel seat that is also supposed to work your abs? It’s like an office chair, you just sit on it, keep your feet planted and swivel side to side, wooooo bet that works up a sweat.

[/quote]

please I don’t need your swivel chair…I’m going to get buff in just 60 seconds a day using leg magic!!!

https://www.buylegmagic.com/?cid=435890

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
What were they saying? This should be entertaining.[/quote]

Let’s see:

The key to weight loss is low fat, low carb calorie restricted diets.

10lbs of “fat” loss in a week is a good goal but you can do better.

Exercise needs to be mixed up to be fun. That’s why they went through a course on a Marine base that most of the contestants had to be practically carried through.

Light weight training will help you lose weight but the real weight is lost through cardio work.

Jumping jacks are a good idea for an out of shape overweight woman with bad knees and back problems from her huge knockers.

You shouldn’t eat anything later than 6 pm or it will turn into fat magically overnight.

That’s about all I can remember now. I was just thinking that those people made no progress at all in three months. They could have done so much better if they had an informed trainer, like Thibs, telling then what to do and Berardi telling them what to eat. That’s a fat loss program I want to watch!

[quote]NH wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Have you seen the new swivel seat that is also supposed to work your abs? It’s like an office chair, you just sit on it, keep your feet planted and swivel side to side, wooooo bet that works up a sweat.

please I don’t need your swivel chair…I’m going to get buff in just 60 seconds a day using leg magic!!!

https://www.buylegmagic.com/?cid=435890 [/quote]

hot damn… but it looks a little scary

[quote]sic wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
What were they saying? This should be entertaining.

Let’s see:

The key to weight loss is low fat, low carb calorie restricted diets.

10lbs of “fat” loss in a week is a good goal but you can do better.

Exercise needs to be mixed up to be fun. That’s why they went through a course on a Marine base that most of the contestants had to be practically carried through.

Light weight training will help you lose weight but the real weight is lost through cardio work.

Jumping jacks are a good idea for an out of shape overweight woman with bad knees and back problems from her huge knockers.

You shouldn’t eat anything later than 6 pm or it will turn into fat magically overnight.

That’s about all I can remember now. I was just thinking that those people made no progress at all in three months. They could have done so much better if they had an informed trainer, like Thibs, telling then what to do and Berardi telling them what to eat. That’s a fat loss program I want to watch![/quote]

Wow. Even mainstream nutrionists and trainers recognize that half of those things are wrong/myths. It would be pretty awesome to see what kind of results Berardi and Thib could get! The physique clinics are great for that purpose. But a real show would be a treat.

sic wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

[/quote]

Working out on that swivel seat would be the same as going to McDonald’s and sitting in the spin chairs. God how I love thinking how naive some people are that spend money on these “snake oil” exercise products believing they’re going to get Stan McQuay/Jaime Eason results, lol.

[/quote]

Those swivel chairs actually do make you work up a sweat. I go to a chiropractor and that is part of the exercise program. Not only does it mobilize your spine, it also engages several different aspects of your abdominals depending on which movements you do. I would never buy one, you can do the same thing sitting on a swiss ball…Just saying that if you do it for 5-10 minutes you actually do start sweating…

Sic “I’d like to see them try to prove that powerlifters at a bench meet are only using their pecs and biceps to bench.”

Am I the first person to note that your pecs and biceps don’t function in the same movement??..The last time I checked your pecs and triceps were involved with the bench press…No offense Sic…just wanted to point that out.

One last comment about the CrossFit workouts. Have any of you done one of the workouts? Or made your own? If you took a thourough look at the CrossFit website you would see that they have a wide variety of workouts that focus on different aspects of training. Most of them are anaerobic threshold training workouts, but they also have workouts that are max reps as well. There are some VO2 Max training workouts as well as strength training.

Try this workout and let me know what time you finish in:

21 Trap Bar DL’s @ 60kg
21 Shoulder Thrusters @ bar+20kg
21 Back Squats @ 95lbs
21 Inverted Rows
21 Double Crunches

15 Trap Bar DL’s @ 60kg
15 Shoulder Thrusters @ bar+20kg
15 Back Squats @ 95lbs
15 Inverted Rows
15 Double Crunches

9 Trap Bar DL’s @ 60kg
9 Shoulder Thrusters @ bar+20kg
9 Back Squats @ 95lbs
9 Inverted Rows
9 Double Crunches

No rest. The first time I did it my time was 11:28. I did it again yesterday about 7 weeks after the first time and my time was 9:36. In between I have done several other CrossFit workouts. I only train CrossFit once per week and it is strenous and a great break from the ordinary. Only do it if you want a personal challenge. The goal is the least amount of time possible…

Workout #2 21-15-9 again
40kg Hang Cleans
40kg Floor Press
40kg Bent Over Rows
8kg Squat and Med Ball Throws
8kg Russian Incline Twists

Try it and let me know what you think…Also, check out the CrossFit website for video clips of some pretty impressive female athletes moving decent weight…Same with the men.

[quote]tanimal wrote:

The first time I did it my time was 11:28. I did it again yesterday about 7 weeks after the first time and my time was 9:36. In

[/quote]

It takes me 10 minutes just to do the 15 squats, breaking them up into 3 sets of five. But then again, I’m built for comfort, not for speed.

Although Crossfit workouts can be challenging for overall fitness, those of us who are strength training are not in so much of a hurry to get things done.

I think Sic is limited to pushing movements for the next few weeks…

Hah! I’ll do it in a crossfit style and time myself. :wink:

tanimal: I never said biceps and pecs are used simultaneously, I said they aren’t the ONLY muscles used in bench. My point was the bench is not an isolation movement and is NOT obsolete, as the article posits.

That’s great that crossfit workouts make you break into a sweat, my comment wasn’t about the effectivity of crossfit, it was about the article’s position. They presented it as the answer to outdated training methods. Crossfit is not the end-all be-all of training.

Like Yo Momma said, different training for different goals. I don’t care to train in a time restricted environment because I am not training for speed, I am training for strength increases. You can’t rush a max DL like you can your “squat and med ball throws.”

I actually train for strength. Like I said in my post, I only train CrossFit once per week. I have found it very effective in improving my recovery time between strength sets during my “normal” training sessions. I have also found rather impressive strength gains. I am almost as strong as I was when I was 192lbs, only I am 167lbs right now…

“I never said biceps and pecs are used simultaneously, I said they aren’t the ONLY muscles used in bench.”

Just the fact that you even mentioned biceps, pecs, and bench press in the same sentence scares me. Your biceps are not worked when you do the bench press. The press up works your pecs and triceps concentrically, and the lowering phase works your pecs and triceps eccentrically.

“I don’t care to train in a time restricted environment because I am not training for speed, I am training for strength increases”

This comment bugs me a little because CrossFit is not training for speed anyways. I did say that the goal is the least amount of time possible, but the real goal is to push through the lactic acid building up. Those workouts are a way to increase your anaerobic threshold, thus allowing you to move more weight before lactic acid kicks in. Improving your anaerobic threshold will also help you increase your recovery time. Like I also said before, if you check out their website they have many varieties of workouts…not just ones for “speed”…Anyhoo, do a little research or try it out before you talk smack about any workout theories/programs…

That workout looks like fun.
But I just can’t see someone like Malinda who is getting close to squatting 400lbs using 16 lbs and a medicine ball to squat 21 reps with. Maybe I’m wrong, who knows…
It’s pretty obvious that the women in this forum are training for strength, however, that means different types of training for different people.
Myself, I’d give it a try, if it would help my technical snatch, I’d try anything.
db

[quote]sic wrote:
Hah! I’ll do it in a crossfit style and time myself. :wink:
[/quote]

LOL, that would be pretty awesome, post us a video.
You could revolutionize childbirth techniques, who needs any stinkin’ lamaze anyways hahahahahahaha
db

[quote]tanimal wrote:
Like I also said before, if you check out their website they have many varieties of workouts…not just ones for “speed”…Anyhoo, do a little research or try it out before you talk smack about any workout theories/programs…[/quote]

Kudos on your selective quoting. It’s a shame you didn’t quote sic where she said "Like Yo Momma said, different training for different goals. " sic supports “many varieties” of training. Anyhooooooo would you really ever say, few varieties? I dunno, just doesn’t read right. I would just go for, “a wide variety” but what do I know.

Maybe you should read the whole post before typing smack…

and differing opinions are great. If we all agreed nothing would change. I still think the chair swivel thingy is a GIGANTIC WASTE OF TIME! I can break a sweat laying on my driveway, I just don’t see me getting a good workout from it. If you want to look at it as, “anything that gets them moving” I agree with you.

But anyhooo I saw the Spartan/300 training thread. Isn’t that based on Crossfit or Gym Jones? That would be something fun to try or die from. Killer stuff.

But then I have recently seen an article on Qigong stuff and I know I am never doing that.

Kudos on your selective quoting. It’s a shame you didn’t quote sic where she said "Like Yo Momma said, different training for different goals. "

Did you even read my post? I said I train for strength. As far as Malinda goes, she can use whatever weight she sees fits her training. If she can squat 400lbs then maybe she would sub squats with 165lbs or whatever else she feels like instead of wall ball squats.

In the eight weeks since I started anaerobic threshold workouts, my max bench has increased by over 20lbs, and my max squat has increased by 35lbs.

Just saying maybe you want a break from the ol’ treadmill as well…burns an assload of calories…

And, maybe for you the swivel chair is a giant waste of time, but for those people who have issues with their spine and surrounding muscles it can have a positive impact on improving posture and core stabilization. Not to mention that all important body awareness…Spoken like a true exercise therapist. I won’t even go into how I feel about isolation exercises…Now THOSE are a giant waste of time…

“Maybe you should read the whole post before typing smack…”

I did read the entire post and I’m sorry but most of her comments lost all validity when she claimed that “biceps” and pecs are not the only muscles used during the bench press…

PS - There is a video clip of one of the CrossFit girls doing 15 overhead squats with the equivalent of her bodyweight over her head…

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Misc (Nicole Miller Bodyweight OHS x 15)

Some of those girls can do 7 muscle ups in a row…Have you ever tried to do a muscle up? I have. It was a no go. Only one of the guys on the Canadian National Rugby team could do one the first time they all tried…

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_RobinKelleySwingPPSqWOD.wmv

The same girl who does the OHS’s also Jerks 185lbs…

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_ChicksJerkHeavy.wmv

[quote]tanimal wrote:
I did read the entire post and I’m sorry but most of her comments lost all validity when she claimed that “biceps” and pecs are not the only muscles used during the bench press…
[/quote]

Jesus Christ. I was sarcastically commenting on the original article (did you even read it?) where they stated that Ground-based training immediately puts an end to a host of outdated stationary-machine and free-weight lifts, including the bench press, military press…

They went on to say that The five basic movements to develop in any exercise session are limited to different forms of stepping, pushing, pulling, squatting, and rotating. There’s no need to do one exercise for your biceps, another for your shoulders, and another for your chest.

In my experience, the bench press is a pushing movement. Yet it is obsolete because you are off your feet and not “thinking creatively?” I was simply trying to say that the bench press is not obsolete nor is it an isolation movement. In fact, if done in a powerlifting style, the bench press will involve the pecs, delts, lats, rhomboids, triceps, abs, spinal erectors, glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves, and yes… even your biceps.

I’m not thinking of the skinny guy in biking shorts who bench presses with his feet up on the bench so as to avoid injuring his back. I’m thinking of someone benching upwards of 500lbs with an insane arch and mind-blowing tightness. Ask that guy what muscles he uses and he’ll be the last to say “pecs and triceps, that’s it.”

I simply don’t agree with the original article that states that There’s no need to do one exercise for your biceps, another for your shoulders, and another for your chest… Instead of targeting the upper back and then the lower back, simply pull (in the form of pull-ups or incline pull-ups) and bridge (holding your torso stiff to build strength in your back). For the lower body, lunge, step-down, and squat drills are all it takes, and body weight alone is usually more than enough load.

Again, if the trainee is looking for a lean, athletic, moderately muscular build, a program like this is probably ideal.

However, if that trainee is looking for the body of a goddess and a 400lb+ squat, this training is not ideal. I did not agree with the fact that they presented this method of training as the answer to all training needs. As I stated above, different training for different results. While I can’t argue that this type of training will build endurance and explosive power, “lunges and squat drills with bodyweight alone” is simply not enough to build a muscular lower body. Ask any body builder, figure competitor, or powerlifter and I guarantee you that you will find out that they actually use (gasp!) weights for their lower body training.