T Nation

Is West Side For Me ?

Gday all,
first time poster on here.
A little background…

I started lifting seriously less than a year ago. Did all the studying I could and went through the whole BB type BULK phase thing. Now Im on one of those “CUT” Phase things. Thats when I realize Im really happy to move more plates around than care about the peak of my bicep.

Thus I wanna move onto a PL mindset. I looked at some options and West Side Barbell training system seemed very popular n effective.

A few ques: is WS any good for a relatively newbie lifter? … I mean my max lifts are less than what a lotta ppl use for 20 rep warmup sets !

-Theres soo much info on westside out there im thoroughly confused. Are there any links /articles explaining the bare basics. Im really confused nd need clarification.

-My gym doesnt have bands or chains… what do i do ?

Appreciate any responses,
best,
v.v.

Is this what you’re looking for mate?
http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459671

Bands and chains aren’t essential to conjugate periodisation, but they’re used because they’re great for targeting weak points.

I’m hoping someone else will chime in, but I think that as long as you aren’t ‘untrained’ then you can jump straight in, after all you’ll be working with your maxes and not some other blokes’.

[quote]varven wrote:
Gday all,
first time poster on here.
A little background…

I started lifting seriously less than a year ago. Did all the studying I could and went through the whole BB type BULK phase thing. Now Im on one of those “CUT” Phase things. Thats when I realize Im really happy to move more plates around than care about the peak of my bicep.

Thus I wanna move onto a PL mindset. I looked at some options and West Side Barbell training system seemed very popular n effective.

A few ques: is WS any good for a relatively newbie lifter? … I mean my max lifts are less than what a lotta ppl use for 20 rep warmup sets !

-Theres soo much info on westside out there im thoroughly confused. Are there any links /articles explaining the bare basics. Im really confused nd need clarification.

-My gym doesnt have bands or chains… what do i do ?

Appreciate any responses,
best,
v.v.[/quote]

You don’t need bands or chains. Read the Jim Wendler articles at the EliteFTS website.

I would recommend you do either Westside for Skinny Bastards or do traditional Westside but work up to a 5 Rep Max instead of a 1RM. If you aren’t a powerlifter doing two 1RM every week is probaly not the best idea. Louie and Tate even recommend their athletes on Westside do 3RM or 5RM.

Since you said you are a relatively new lifter, most programs on this site well help you elicit great gains (caveat: you must also follow the nutrition listed here also)

You like moving plates too, and nothing rattles the iron like the big, bad powerlifts that WSBB crew does. Not to mention you will also embark far sooner down the path of proper form with compound lifts the sooner you start them (ie. box squat). So the WSBBSB program is the place to start.

Recovery is important when following a Westside type program. You will probably be forced to eat more so you can recover. I didn’t make any good gains powerlifting until I UPPED my calories. That was 25 lbs. ago. I would start with ether 3RM’s or 5RM’s for ME work. I would also forget about bands and chains. You don’t need them to make good strength gains. If speed bench makes you feel beat up drop it for high rep DB or BB presses. If squatting wide on a box for speed every week tears your hips up, which it will, buy some cheap briefs or powerpants. I would recommend reading everything Wendler has wrote at EliteFTS.com and everything by Dave Tate on this site. Powerlifting is great and I would recommend a PL type program for anyone looking for size and strength. Bodybuilding isolation type workouts are for fags.

Yes Westside is for everyone, PLer’s athletes, OLer’s. You just need to learn the more important lifts to get strong. Dave Tate wrote a basic template of the program called Dave Tate’s 9 week beginners template. It will help you get on your way, but what’s great about Westside is you can modify the lifts or weight as you need. Don’t get confused by all the literature just do the workout and learn by hands on experience. The most difficult part of Westside is finding your weaknesses and correcting them. Do what these guys said and go to elitefts.com and click on the articles section and start reading. Then when you have questions you can post them on the q/a part of the web site or just post back here and ask.

No, Westside is not for you at this point. If your lifts are very low, using a Westside template would have you doing far too much speed work at this stage. If your F-max isn’t currently very high at this point, it makes absolutely no sense to devote training time to reaching said F-max more quickly.

-Dan

WSB can be very effective for a new lifter, however to get the most out of a Westside-like program you need to be careful in setting up the program.

And there’s the rub.

Setting up a Westside program is fairly simple, setting one up with a balanced set of DE/ME exercises, can be tricky, and trying to do too much, too fast will result in overtraining. If you have or can arrange access to a extant group of powerlifters to train with they can help you much more than we can do virtually.

That being said; if you are going to go it alone, the workout in the Eight Keys IV article is probably the most widely done and generic Westside program there is.

I’d recommend reading the “Eight Keys,” and “Education of a Powerlifter” articles. You can find them all here: