T Nation

Is Voting Welfare?

You didn’t do anything to earn your vote. Why should you get something for free?

I wouldn’t call it welfare but I would call it illusion.

Democracy is best in a very small group where everyone knows everyone.

[quote]Gael wrote:
You didn’t do anything to earn your vote. Why should you get something for free?[/quote]

I’m starting to take more of a Heinlein like stance on this issue as of late myself. I haven’t ironed out my feelings on the issue but I’m starting to get it together.

mike

I suggest you both stay home on election day.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I suggest you both stay home on election day.
[/quote]

What would happen if no one showed up?

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

What would happen if no one showed up?[/quote]

Ron Paul would have his only shot at winning?

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

What would happen if no one showed up?

Ron Paul would have his only shot at winning?

[/quote]

Then he wouldn’t need to bother.

[quote]Gael wrote:
You didn’t do anything to earn your vote. Why should you get something for free?[/quote]

For the US that is pretty easy to answer.

You were born with inalienable rights and the only reason government exists is to protect them.

Therefore, a possibility to get rid of a government peacefully that does not do that is probably a good idea.

Then, I doubt that Pelosi was born with the right to rule, so this goes both ways.

But voting is not an inalienable right. It is one provided by democratic government.

[quote]Gael wrote:
But voting is not an inalienable right. It is one provided by democratic government.[/quote]

Wrong. It is stripped away by totalitarians. It is not provided by government. Merely restricted by more restrictive forms of government.

If there is no government, you don’t vote.

I don’t have to EARN a vote. The Government isn’s supposed to be a seperate entity from the populace, or a higher power.

Remember “We the People”? Or “of the People, by the People, and for the People”?

The government serves the People, not vice-versa.

let’s be honest, doesn’t matter whether you vote or not, the people with the money determine how things are supposed to go.

[quote]Gael wrote:
If there is no government, you don’t vote.[/quote]

You vote every day. With your wallet and with your feet and it is more direct than an electoral vote. The freedom to choose is voting – but it is better than democracy because your choices are near infinite when not restricted by government.

[quote]Ren wrote:
let’s be honest, doesn’t matter whether you vote or not, the people with the money determine how things are supposed to go.[/quote]

That is only true in the purview of government. Governments grant privileges to people who can buy votes – then not only does it steal your nonexistent voice but also your tax dollars to fund their special interest regulation.

Democracy is the perfect hegemony because it is peddled as the only fair, just, and equal form of government when in fact it is just a tyranny of special interest.

The funniest thing is that people will continue to talk about what a joke elections are but still go to the polls to vote – if that isn’t the definition of insanity I don’t know what is.

Yes Lifticus, but when you vote with your wallet, you have earned your “vote.”

[quote]Gael wrote:
If there is no government, you don’t vote.[/quote]

My kids vote on what we have for dinner Friday night. I hope it is Chinese this week.

Voting is a very natural act.

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
I don’t have to EARN a vote. The Government isn’s supposed to be a seperate entity from the populace, or a higher power.

Remember “We the People”? Or “of the People, by the People, and for the People”?

The government serves the People, not vice-versa.[/quote]

QFT - I’ve been lead to believe this means quoted for truth? If so, then QFT!

Gael wrote:

My kids vote on what we have for dinner Friday night. I hope it is Chinese this week.

Voting is a very natural act.[/quote]

You have lucky kids then, I have no say in what we have for dinner. It generally ends up being completely against my diet -.-

Gael wrote:

Voting is a very natural act.[/quote]

We do the same thing.

But, to show them how the real world works, I completely ignore their vote and get what I want anyway.