Is Vitamin Shoppe A Good Deal?

vitamin shoppe has a deal going on where you get 20% off your purchase of 50 dollars or more, plus free shipping.

with that, i can get a 10 lb bag of ON whey protein, 400 caps of vitamin shoppe brand bcaa’s, and the ON brand’s opti-men multivitamin for only 91 bucks. is this worth the deal?

i checked the site … all i see is free shipping over $99. how do you get the deal ?

[quote]relativelyfunguy wrote:
vitamin shoppe has a deal going on where you get 20% off your purchase of 50 dollars or more, plus free shipping.

with that, i can get a 10 lb bag of ON whey protein, 400 caps of vitamin shoppe brand bcaa’s, and the ON brand’s opti-men multivitamin for only 91 bucks. is this worth the deal?[/quote]

Or you could support this site.

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:
relativelyfunguy wrote:

with that, i can get a 10 lb bag of ON whey protein, 400 caps of vitamin shoppe brand bcaa’s, and the ON brand’s opti-men multivitamin for only 91 bucks. is this worth the deal?

Or you could support this site.[/quote]

and spend double the price too. believe me, i would if it was as cheap, cuz i truly believe the products from Biotest are more superior than the other ones out there, it’s just for 91 bucks, that’s pretty cheap.

and i got the deal in my e-mail, it says “20% off + free shipping on orders over $50!”

Mod Brian wrote:
relativelyfunguy wrote:

Or you could support this site.

and spend double the price too. believe me, i would if it was as cheap, cuz i truly believe the products from Biotest are more superior than the other ones out there, it’s just for 91 bucks, that’s pretty cheap.

and i got the deal in my e-mail, it says “20% off + free shipping on orders over $50!”
[/quote]

Those are email-only coupons they send from time to time, I think. I get em sometimes, and use them when I order Greens +.

ON?

“…i truly believe the products from Biotest are more superior than the other ones out there…”
You’re willing to spend less money, if it ensures you that you get less quality with lesser results. Well, there’s a certain internal consistency to your logic, I guess.

[quote]TShaw wrote:
“…i truly believe the products from Biotest are more superior than the other ones out there…”
You’re willing to spend less money, if it ensures you that you get less quality with lesser results. Well, there’s a certain internal consistency to your logic, I guess.[/quote]

Thanks for letting me know I wasn’t the only one thinking this!

Not everyone is rich. This guy has to balance the $$ against the performance of his supps. I use “cheap” and “inferior” protein and MRP’s (according to this site and it’s posters), but my results were not that much different with the expensive stuff. After all, IT’S JUST FOOD. There is nothing magic about it. Hard, consistent work and a basic diet will get you further than some special time release protein blend manufactured using the latest research from…you get the picture.

Don’t rip people because they do not buy supplements only from Biotest. This is a community to gain knowledge and understanding. Yes some products are better than others but last I checked it looked like Grow! Whey is just like most low cost proteins. This is not the supplement where Biotest shines nor do I think that is the one that they put their effort into… HOT-ROX, TRIBEX, Spike, Rev-z, Alpha Male ect. What he is looking for is low cost simple supplements. He was just looking for some simple advice. I say keep an eye out for good deals when they come by on those type of products.

[quote]Joebus wrote:
Don’t rip people because they do not buy supplements only from Biotest. This is a community to gain knowledge and understanding. Yes some products are better than others but last I checked it looked like Grow! Whey is just like most low cost proteins. This is not the supplement where Biotest shines nor do I think that is the one that they put their effort into… HOT-ROX, TRIBEX, Spike, Rev-z, Alpha Male ect. What he is looking for is low cost simple supplements. He was just looking for some simple advice. I say keep an eye out for good deals when they come by on those type of products.[/quote]

exactly. For the average trainee, it doesnt matter if he pays double the price for Biotest protein or just buys the optimum nutrition protein. The results between products will be negligible. Also, that seems like a good deal on bcaa’s.

Just got my order today…Surge tastes fucking awesome…Got 2 of those…2 Flameouts.1 Grow! and 1 ZMA…Do you really have to refrigerate Flameout after opening?

[quote]Joebus wrote:
Don’t rip people because they do not buy supplements only from Biotest.[/quote]

If he had said he buys other brands because they work well for him, I wouldn’t have given it a second thought. Please notice that I “ripped” him (and “rip” is a pretty strong word to describe my comment) because he claims that he purchases inferior products.

If he truly believes that a product is superior, I would think it would be worth applying funds–especially limited funds–to the “best bang for the buck” by buying the superior product.

I remember trying to tell a friend once that I would rather purchase 2 cheap pairs of sneakers from Payless than spend the same money on a decent pair from some other brand, even assuming mine would break down and wear out sooner than the decent pair.

Even assuming each cheap pair cost half the price of the better pair and total outlay of cash would be the same, my “rationale” was that quantity was somehow smarter than quality. That was then.

Is the OP happy if he does a half-assed workout instead of maximizing his time in the gym? I’m not. I don’t purchase important products like cars or computers or a college education or appliances or clothes based on the cheapest brand I can find. Why would I not apply that same logic to what I put into my body?

Let me also state clearly that I do NOT consider the OP (or anyone who agrees with him) an ignoramus. I’m not trying to insult anyone. I’m not saying that I am somehow superior because of my choices. I’m not trying to suck up to Biotest. (They don’t need me to champion them on their own site.) I’m just saying, in response to the OP and others, that I have developed different priorities when it comes to purchasing supplements when I have a clear opinion about their quality.

…and no, I’m not “wealthy.” I plan carefully to be able to hit the $150 mark and get free shipping. I don’t often exceed $150, and I never am able to get and try everything I want. For economic reasons especially I want to stick with the most I can afford of the best I can get.

Feel free to disagree, but can you see my point?

my question is, why are Biotest’s BCAA’s now the only superior ones out there? what did people use before Biotest created their BCAA’s that got them so huge? obviously people can still make great gains off this other stuff for less. and i see nothing wrong with optimum nutrition’s whey protein as i have seen plenty a great physiques that have used it along with simple maltodextrin/dextrose mixed into a pwo shake…as well, i just like optimum nutrition’s multi vitamin, it seems to work well for me.

It’s not an issue of supporting Biotest. Biotest does not have a lot of vitamins and herbs people want to take.

my question is, why are Biotest’s BCAA’s now the only superior ones out there? what did people use before Biotest created their BCAA’s that got them so huge? obviously people can still make great gains off this other stuff for less. and i see nothing wrong with optimum nutrition’s whey protein as i have seen plenty a great physiques that have used it along with simple maltodextrin/dextrose mixed into a pwo shake…as well, i just like optimum nutrition’s multi vitamin, it seems to work well for me.[/quote]

If it doesn’t give you stomach aches,then fine. BUt that’s my problem with it.

[quote]iannotti wrote:
Just got my order today…Surge tastes fucking awesome…Got 2 of those…2 Flameouts.1 Grow! and 1 ZMA…Do you really have to refrigerate Flameout after opening?[/quote]

If you live in a hot and/or humid climate, I definately would.

I donth think there is abig difference between stuff like ZMA, and Creatine, BCAA. But when it comes to Whey, and meal replacements shakes, I think there is a difference. Biotest stuff tastes better, and mixes better, and is comparable in price. I cant find anything close to flame out at vitamin store. Fish oil capsules are a far cry from flame out.

Get some stuff from Vitamin store and some stuff from here.

In my opinion, Vitamin Shoppe is a pretty good competitor even on the retail end. I bought their 5 lb. tub of whey for $19.95, and they were “buy one, get one for 1/2 price”, so for $30, I had 10 lbs. of whey. Not too shabby a deal, and I found the powder far superior to the Body Fortress brand that I had picked up at Sam’s Club for the same price (no 1/2 off on 2nd for that, though), which was so goddamn foamy, I didn’t know whether to drink it or shave with it.

As the 10 lbs. dwindled, I recently bought some Grow! from this site and I was/am sorely disappointed. It foams as bad if not worse than the Body Fortress stuff, and has a naaasty aftertaste which I try to cover by adding yogurt and/or Metabolic Drive (which I like) to my PWO shakes.

I say take the deals where you can on the basics. Biotest has enough along the line of exotic, specialty supplements for you to buy when you get to a more advanced stage in your training and/or need to break a plateau.

[quote]Digital Chainsaw wrote:

As the 10 lbs. dwindled, I recently bought some Grow! from this site and I was/am sorely disappointed. It foams as bad if not worse than the Body Fortress stuff, and has a naaasty aftertaste which I try to cover by adding yogurt and/or Metabolic Drive (which I like) to my PWO shakes.

[/quote]

I don’t get the foam when I mix Grow! Maybe your ratio of powder to water is off?

[quote]cardinal25 wrote:
Digital Chainsaw wrote:

I don’t get the foam when I mix Grow! Maybe your ratio of powder to water is off?[/quote]

I always use skim milk as my base which, by itself produces almost no foam, and didn’t with the Vitamin Shoppe brand of whey powder.

No big deal, really; we learn by trying.