T Nation

Is Tuna Safe?

Is tuna safe? I eat about 3 cans a day? Whats the truth, I’ve heard differing pieces of information.

No it isn’t.

Your going to die a slow horrible death from mercury posioning.

you should probably consider switching to carrots and milk.

[quote]jerm wrote:
Is tuna safe? I eat about 3 cans a day? Whats the truth, I’ve heard differing pieces of information.[/quote]

one can a day is ok but 3 is a bit much for Mercury reasons. Even two is prob too much

Read here for some better info.

"By following these three recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.

Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.
Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.
Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
Another commonly eaten fish, albacore (“white”) tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week."

I used to eat 2 cans a day for 4months but this is all different per person.

[quote]crod266 wrote:
one can a day is ok but 3 is a bit much for Mercury reasons. Even two is prob too much[/quote]

I’m still waiting for one, just one peer-reviewed article detailing just one case of a healthy adult male having adverse effects from mercury from consuming canned tuna produced under US food standards.

Just one.

Please.

I’ve been asking for years.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
crod266 wrote:
one can a day is ok but 3 is a bit much for Mercury reasons. Even two is prob too much

I’m still waiting for one, just one peer-reviewed article detailing just one case of a healthy adult male having adverse effects from mercury from consuming canned tuna produced under US food standards.

Just one.

Please.

I’ve been asking for years.[/quote]

LOL. That picture is awesome.

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:

LOL. That picture is awesome.[/quote]

x2, truely epic

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
crod266 wrote:

Just one.

Please.

haha that picture cracks me up every time I see it.

And yea, in all seriousness 3 cans is fine for a 210lb male.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
crod266 wrote:

Just one.

Please.

haha funny pic, i mean i see your point but would you rather be safe or the one person saying i almost died from mercury poisoning yano

[quote]crod266 wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
crod266 wrote:

Just one.

Please.

I’ve been asking for years.

haha funny pic, i mean i see your point but would you rather be safe or the one person saying i almost died from mercury poisoning yano[/quote]

Not to be the prick that agrees with both sides, but your both right. lol

I think that worrying over such a thing isn’t necessary, but I know I’d rather add in differet sources of protein than cram down 3 cans of tuna a day.

If I’m eating that much tuna its in sushi for sure! I’ve found that if I have sushi early in the day or mid afternoon then train that evening I get better pumps and my strength is up. Amazing the power of food eh. lol If I could afford it I’d eat sushi every day. Now its just once a week during the ‘all you can eat’ hours.

I think they hate me :stuck_out_tongue: lol I get my moneys worth!

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:

[/quote]

Hey! Pick a side you wishy-washy bastid! :wink:

I wouldn’t eat sushi-- you can get lead poisoning and worms. I know because I read it on da Interwebzes

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:

Hey! Pick a side you wishy-washy bastid! :wink:

I wouldn’t eat sushi-- you can get lead poisoning and worms. I know because I read it on da Interwebzes[/quote]

i guess sushi is something i shud try for once in my life then hmm? haha

Hmm so theres not really any definitive answer, cool. I guess I’ll just keep eating tuna and see what happens hah.

Mercury poisoning leads to a break down of the myelin sheath around a neuron. The myelin sheaths act as a -jumper- for action potentials. basically, the myelin sheaths helps your body to react to stimulus at a quicker rate. Multiple sclerosis is the breakdown of myelin sheath in the white matter of the brain and spinal cord

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
Mercury poisoning leads to a break down of the myelin sheath around a neuron. The myelin sheaths act as a -jumper- for action potentials. basically, the myelin sheaths helps your body to react to stimulus at a quicker rate. Multiple sclerosis is the breakdown of myelin sheath in the white matter of the brain and spinal cord[/quote]

But will he get poisoned? That’s the myelin-dollar question.

I’ve ate two cans a day for about a year now, give or take a few days.

I died just last week, so I guess you can go about a year.

I classify this as the same thing as people who complain about alluminum in their deoredant, chemicals in their plastic, and mercury in their tuna. There are bigger fish to fry than this to avoid cancer/dying in your life.

If you use organic plastic and eat 2 cheeseburgers and fries a day, it doesn’t qutie balance out.

[quote]AssClown wrote:

But will he get poisoned? That’s the myelin-dollar question.[/quote]

Ahh, I see what you did there!

Mercury poisoning FTW!

Depends on the type of tuna… BIG ASS sea tuna do not have as much… they’re bigger… but the smaller ones apparently have a more concentrated amount of mercury in them…

[quote]Higgins wrote:
I’ve ate two cans a day for about a year now, give or take a few days.

I died just last week, so I guess you can go about a year.
[/quote]

Iz u a zom-beh?