T Nation

Is This Too Much?

Right now im trying something which is basically 2 upper days a week and 2 lower days. But both uppers are different (vertical and horizontal) and both lowers are different (quads and hamstring dominant). i do each of the 4 once a week.

my work sets vary but the muscles worked that day get anywhere from 6-18 sets. is this too much? for example today i did 5x6 with rows, bench, pulldowns, db bench, and dips. thats 10-15 sets for chest and 10 for back some of the chest sets went to failure. normally i’d say thats fine but then my next upper day in 4 days will be 6x3 so it’ll be 12 for shoulders and 12 for vertical back. 3x12 is the third rep scheme. same layout goes for the leg days but less exercises. is this too much volume?

bump

I want you to think about the question you just asked. What do you think would determine if something was “too much” for you?

10-15 sets for chest, 10 for bsck?

A lot depends on how strong and efficient your NS is. Are you new to weights, if so then this should be fine. If you are strong and advanced, then this might be too much. in the latter however, you should know what is too much for your body

Well i’ve been training for about 3 years. It just seems like a ton of sets, i mean when i do 6 sets for 3 exercises thats 18 sets for chest (bb bench, db bench, dips) then i work out upper again (but shoulders and vertical pulling) 3-4 days later. in that case it would be a 3x12 for all the exercises but still thats like 24 pushing sets and 24 pulling sets…even though its different angles

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I want you to think about the question you just asked. What do you think would determine if something was “too much” for you?[/quote]

Oooooh !

I know ! … I know !!

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I want you to think about the question you just asked. What do you think would determine if something was “too much” for you?

Oooooh !

I know ! … I know !!

[/quote]

Maybe I’m a little confused. Just because i don’t feel worn out doesn’t mean i wouldn’t get better gains with maybe a lower workload correct?

a lot of people worry about over training these days, and it is something to worry about, but not to the extent that many people do

i work out six days a week, split between chest back, then shoulders arms forearms, and then thighs, calves, lower back. i have twenty plus sets for each workout, yes i feel tired, and sore by the next workout, but that does not mean over training. i have gained forty pounds in the last year doing this with no supplements.

the key element is you, if you can handle higher workloads go for it, as long as your workouts are done with intensity, and are not losing focus by the end of your session your in good shape.

thats all i got to say

[quote]pumped340 wrote:
Right now im trying something…[/quote]

My stupid question: Is your goal to grow?

My stupid follow-up question: Are you growing from it?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
pumped340 wrote:
Right now im trying something…

[/quote]

-yes

-well its only been about 2 weeks doing this so i don’t know yet

Check out the following articles:

How to Design a Damn Good Program:

Part 1
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1701042

Part 2

and/or

Game Plan: How Often Should I Work Out?
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/game_plan

I don’t believe there is a universal too much. Its whether or not its too much for you, and only YOU can know that. If you start feeling extremely run-down and like you aren’t recovering after a while then yeah its too much, if you don’t then its not. Pretty simple.

[quote]pumped340 wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
pumped340 wrote:

-yes

-well its only been about 2 weeks doing this so i don’t know yet[/quote]

Your goals and whether you are reaching them are what determines what is “too much” for you. NOTHING else determines what is “too much”.

It doesn’t matter what may be “too much” for this guy or that guy. If it works for you, then it can not be “too much” for you.

If it has only been two weeks, then that is not enough time to arrive at that conclusion. You can not skip trial and error.

How you will know i think will be:

1)Strength will start to go down

2)You come down with some stupid cold or something.

3)You really dont “feel” like going to the gym.

I think the strength one is the most obvious one, if its “too much” that will one of the 1st “alarms” that something is not quite right.

Once the weighing scales is going up and your strength is then keep going untill at LEAST 300 lbs :slight_smile:

pumped340 wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
pumped340 wrote:

-yes

-well its only been about 2 weeks doing this so i don’t know yet

Your goals and whether you are reaching them are what determines what is “too much” for you. NOTHING else determines what is “too much”.

It doesn’t matter what may be “too much” for this guy or that guy. If it works for you, then it can not be “too much” for you.

If it has only been two weeks, then that is not enough time to arrive at that conclusion. You can not skip trial and error.[/quote]

Yea i guess i’ll have to wait a few more weeks and see how strength and weight goes up. It’s set up so i dont do the same workout (same reps and exercises) until every 3 weeks so that could be hard to judge soon.

If it has only been two weeks, then that is not enough time to arrive at that conclusion. You can not skip trial and error.[/quote]

DAMMIT! You beat me to my own punchline… That’s the LAST time I sleep in late… :wink:

p340-
I played 2 collegiate sports (and all the training included), working while in college, and maintaining a GPA worthy of ‘with distinction’, getting into grad school, and managing to keep my girlfriend (now wife), I have a hard time buying into ‘overtraining’ for a majority of people.

After a couple semesters, you know what? I felt like I might be ‘over doing it’… I never really thought about it while I was doing it.

Maybe asking about “Sensible” training is more in line. Maybe it’s not a great idea to deadlift 7 days a week. Maybe it’s not a great idea to bench 1RM every day.

Hell, I’m an old fart (with all the baggage that ‘old fartiness’ brings along with it) and the past couple years I’ve realized that I really can lift 5-6 days a week if I do it sensibly-- and that’s not compromising intensity. I only know that because I just shut up and did it-- and I survived!

I’ve been experimenting on Saturdays with higher volumes than I can during lunch on the weekdays-- I’m loving it.

I’m just sayin…